Grado GR10?
Oct 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #31 of 56
Dang. 
popcorn.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #33 of 56

Quote:
It has roughly the same amount as your DBA-02 but better extension and definition than the DBA-02

Hmm, I can get a real nice pop and punch from the DBA bass that I never got w/ the GR8 which might have more than the EQ7?!  Damned gear synergy, tips and ears.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #34 of 56

Quote:

Yea, that's what they told me but I never noticed a difference.  I guess they just today started shipping them to the dealers so not available for another week or so.  I'm taking the plunge.  Will report back with direct comparisons to SE535, W3, ER4P and GR8.

Not sure why but I think these are going to be REALLY good!

I have a feeling about these too. They should be something special! I might be taking the plunge as well. Look forward to the comparisons!

Quote:
It has roughly the same amount as your DBA-02 but better extension and definition than the DBA-02

Yep, the bass extension of the DBA-02 along with wanting some more air were the things stopping me from buying the Fischer. Not that you can have any complaints at their price.

I think a huge thing is that these are now 32 ohm. I live on adding impedance to tighten and refine many armature phones and have always thought that, depending on sensitivity, 120 and 150 is too much. The key is getting it right. The DBA-02 is perfect. Something like my Westone cabled 5 Pro is a bloatfest across the whole range unless it is made harder to drive. Too much leads to forward mid range with rolled(or less push at the) ends of the spectrum. No surprise many people describe the Grado that way and the people who power it well enough say it is more flat. 120 ohm makes them harder to get right than to get wrong or, maybe better said, easier to reach their potential than not. Many people should find them to be more airy and dynamic sounding than the GR8 as well.

Not sure they will "offer a new benchmark in sound quality" but they should be as good as anything out now. If they are a step up/new benchmark in SQ even better!

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #37 of 56
Once I hooked an amp up to GR8 the bass was plenty adequate so I think the 120 ohm GR8 wasn't meant to be fully utilized until amped.  32 ohms seems to be the sweetspot with IEM's.

Dealers won't have GR10 product until later next week so the soonest I will have them would probably be a week from Monday 10/26.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
Once I hooked an amp up to GR8 the bass was plenty adequate so I think the 120 ohm GR8 wasn't meant to be fully utilized until amped.  32 ohms seems to be the sweetspot with IEM's.

Dealers won't have GR10 product until later next week so the soonest I will have them would probably be a week from Monday 10/26.

Well, I did hear them w/ an E5 (yeah, yeah) since I was still waiting on my Arrow at the time but the GR8 is also very, very sensitive.  I actually thought the high impedance and high sensitivity rather appealing.  I too like where the DBA is at w/ 43 ohms.  I wonder if the GR10 will actually come w/ accessories this time.  
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #39 of 56

Quote:
  I wonder if the GR10 will actually come w/ accessories this time.  
tongue.gif

Grado does need to realize how much a difference this can make. A nice case and a good fit kit become important(sometimes a deciding factor) when a choice is being made between close high end phones. Both options perform great but then the perceived value of all the little goodies come into play and are no longer an afterthought. Maybe another lesson they learned. Better first showing then most companies though. Things like the huge size/unwieldy cable of the Triple.fi 10 and the cable and strain problems of the Klipsch were more glaring issues for first release high end models than Grado's lack of accessories.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #40 of 56
No additional accesories.  Same as GR8.

Does not matter to me since I never use a case.  I keep IEM's together with player in a separate more sturdy clamshell-type case.

There's a real simplicity to the fit of the Grados where it would be odd if the three different size supplied tips didn't fit someone so I am okay with this too.  Very nicely made semi-firm gels.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #41 of 56
Even thought the fit might good, i can't help but think that the GR8 and 10's shells look rather cheap...and the printing on them doesn't help at all. Just wanted to point this aesthetic remark thought

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #43 of 56
So what does green serve?  Preventing/easing buyer's remorse? 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #44 of 56
They definitely should've done it wood, as the name brand always gives me a picture of one their wooden full-sized cans and I know many others think the same.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #45 of 56

Quote:
Things like the huge size/unwieldy cable of the Triple.fi 10 and the cable and strain problems of the Klipsch were more glaring issues for first release high end models than Grado's lack of accessories.

Oh man Jant.  You got that right.  The Klipsch strain reliefs are soooo wrong in soooo many ways.  Fischer is using the same design on a new IEM.  >.<  Of all the things I've ever put in my ears, nothing looks worse than cables shooting out at a 40 degree angle.  Nothing!  I'd rather have a Purple Unicorn tattooed on my forehead and sprinkled w/ sparkles and fairy dust.  Much like the one on Kunlun's A**.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I was going to say Shane but I remembered his is Pink.

So woodie Grado IEM.  GS-1.  Metal Grado IEM.  HP-100 or GP-1000.  Head-Fi Grado IEM.  GF-1 or HF-3.  Then come the Alessandros.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back