Grado GH-1 Discussion
Jan 2, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #992 of 1,091
As I listened for a few weeks now I must say I like my grado gh1 a lot. I need to get G-Cushions because I can't use the stock pads very long. Are these really 80 bucks?

New grados always hurt my ears but the pads break in and get a lot softer. I would also bend the headband a bit.

The bowl pads make them brighter and push the mids back and you may not like them.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #995 of 1,091
Hello Lavakugel,
it's not the exactly answer to your question. My GH-1 (with G-Cups) is powered by my Vorzuge Pure II+ connected with the teraplayer. A great combo with great soundquality.
If I prefer iems, I listen the same combo with my TG334. Also stunning.
Regards
Carell

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #997 of 1,091
I had to pay 60 in Europe. Rediculous prize for a piece of foam. But.... yeah, we pay it...

Sorry to hear this. 
confused_face.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,000 of 1,091
Hello, I am looking for a set of Grados just to use for electric guitar music, such as Jeff Beck and such. I am only looking for a pair that sound good with the larger g pads. Have seen the Gh-1 pop up as a contender. Are there any other models that do well with the G pads ? Does anyone one know if the GH-2 are the same as the 1 except for the cups ?  Thanks

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,001 of 1,091
Hello, I am looking for a set of Grados just to use for electric guitar music, such as Jeff Beck and such. I am only looking for a pair that sound good with the larger g pads. Have seen the Gh-1 pop up as a contender. Are there any other models that do well with the G pads ? Does anyone one know if the GH-2 are the same as the 1 except for the cups ?  Thanks

The GH-1 seems to be the best. I tried it and liked the stock pads better. The g pads make them a lot brighter. I also tried them on the PS500e and it had the same effect.

The GH1 mids are a hair (I do mean a hair) more forward then the PS500e and when you put on the G pads the mids recess a bit so the slightly more forward GH1 helps.

Honesty if it is a comfort thing you should stretch the headband and give the pads a month or two (maybe wash them) to break in. The pads get MUCH softer and then they are fine.

I would bet the SR60e does ok with the G pads too (I have not tried it). They are $80 and have a similar tonal balance to the GH-1. Food for thought. But the Gh-2 looks fancier so I want it lol.

Ps the GH-1 was awesome with guitars. Best I have ever heard

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,002 of 1,091
I was very excited for the GH-1. Currently, I am running the old battery-powered RA-1 and the original "copper driver" SR-325. I absolutely adore that combination when paired with a nice pre-amp.

So, this Christmas I decided to take a gamble on the GH-1 to replace my aging SR-325s (which had to be serviced by Grado circa 2010).

Alas, I have been completely disappointed with the GH-1's. The wood looks very cool and the build inside looks nice and clean. On the other hand, the plastic driver assembly does not mate well with the wood housing and—when the ear cup is removed—there is a gap I can shine a light through!

On the performance side, I am experiencing bizarre results. At first I chalked it up to burn-in, but now it is becoming apparent that this is just how it performs. The GH-1 is exceptionally bright. Brighter than the SR-325's, which surprised me. If you were generous, you could say that it's just coldly neutral. But the sonicality is just so radically different from the PM3, HD 598, HD 280 Pro, and SR-325 that it leads me to fault the GH-1.

Other than the RA-1: on the Schiit Fulla, the GH-1's are harsh; on the Jotunheim, they are absolutely intolerable. They sounded reasonable—if not mediocre—straight out of the Sony MDP, however.

To make matters worse, I am experiencing some disturbing stereo-imaging problems. Voice placement often seems oddly out-of-center. Again, I would assume my ears have a problem if not for the fact that I do not experience this effect with any of the above models listed, nor with any other headphone before.

Theory:
Examining the probable cause, I believe it has to do with the un-mirrored mounting of the drivers. When both cups are down, each has a port [one of four] just to the left of the vertical post. But when I put them on, they rotate in different directions: so one will have a port to the top-front of my head, and the other will have a port to the top-rear of my head. Somehow this must be causing slightly different sonic characteristics in each ear that 
is causing imaging problems. [And it doesn't matter if I swap L/R cups on my head.]

Further Tests:
I have purchased a pair of G-Cushions in the hope that the added space will resolve some of these issues.

Bottom Line:
Since the RA-1/SR-325 were so good, I bought these for full retail price—sight unseen—out of sheer brand loyalty. Considering what AKG, 
Audio Technica, and others are offering at this price point: I feel like I have been hoodwinked.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,003 of 1,091
I was very excited for the GH-1. Currently, I am running the old battery-powered RA-1 and the original "copper driver" SR-325. I absolutely adore that combination when paired with a nice pre-amp.

So, this Christmas I decided to take a gamble on the GH-1 to replace my aging SR-325s (which had to be serviced by Grado circa 2010).

Alas, I have been completely disappointed with the GH-1's. The wood looks very cool and the build inside looks nice and clean. On the other hand, the plastic driver assembly does not mate well with the wood housing and—when the ear cup is removed—there is a gap I can shine a light through!

On the performance side, I am experiencing bizarre results. At first I chalked it up to burn-in, but now it is becoming apparent that this is just how it performs. The GH-1 is exceptionally bright. Brighter than the SR-325's, which surprised me. If you were generous, you could say that it's just coldly neutral. But the sonicality is just so radically different from the PM3, HD 598, HD 280 Pro, and SR-325 that it leads me to fault the GH-1.

Other than the RA-1: on the Schiit Fulla, the GH-1's are harsh; on the Jotunheim, they are absolutely intolerable. They sounded reasonable—if not mediocre—straight out of the Sony MDP, however.

To make matters worse, I am experiencing some disturbing stereo-imaging problems. Voice placement often seems oddly out-of-center. Again, I would assume my ears have a problem if not for the fact that I do not experience this effect with any of the above models listed, nor with any other headphone before.

Theory:

Examining the probable cause, I believe it has to do with the un-mirrored mounting of the drivers. When both cups are down, each has a port [one of four] just to the left of the vertical post. But when I put them on, they rotate in different directions: so one will have a port to the top-front of my head, and the other will have a port to the top-rear of my head. Somehow this must be causing slightly different sonic characteristics in each ear that 
is causing imaging problems. [And it doesn't matter if I swap L/R cups on my head.]

Further Tests:

I have purchased a pair of G-Cushions in the hope that the added space will resolve some of these issues.

Bottom Line:

Since the RA-1/SR-325 were so good, I bought these for full retail price—sight unseen—out of sheer brand loyalty. Considering what AKG, 
Audio Technica, and others are offering at this price point: I feel like I have been hoodwinked.

Odd that your GH-1 is brighter than the SR-325 which IMO is the brightest Grado. Makes me think there is something wrong with yours. Seems odd.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,004 of 1,091
Odd that your GH-1 is brighter than the SR-325 which IMO is the brightest Grado. Makes me think there is something wrong with yours. Seems odd.

Yeah, I know, right? It really makes me wonder what's going on with this unit. I should say that I am comparing it with the original SR-325. There have likely been dozens of iterations of that model since then--even before the i- and e-series.

I received the G-pads. So far, they are exacerbating the brightness issue. However, I will try some different setups before I condemn the pairing.

The drivers of my GH-1's are not recessed as some owners are reporting--they are configured just like the others models in the Prestige series. This inconsistency does not speak well of Grado's quality control.

Does anyone have any experience listening to different pairs of the same model Grado? Do they vary greatly from pair to pair? Lastly, could GH-1 owners report back as to the orientation of the ports on the back of the driver? I am curious if other units are un-mirrored like mine.

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #1,005 of 1,091
I've listened at length to two different SR125e's and two different GS1000e's, side by side. I heard no differences in either case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back