Grado GH-1 Discussion
Feb 24, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,006 of 1,091
I received the G-pads. So far, they are exacerbating the brightness issue. However, I will try some different setups before I condemn the pairing.

The G-cups increase the treble and suck out the midrange, which is why I feel they're no good except on the Grados that come with it. Even then, the midrange is recessed in order to expand the soundstage. I still had to EQ up the mids on my GS2000e.

I suggest you return the GH1 and just get the RS1e, which is reportedly the least bright in-production Grado due to having the 50mm driver in a L-cup config. The 50mm drivers are tuned dark to offset the brightness that the G-cups bring. For best results, make sure the RS1e has the brown headband. This guarantees that you have a newer production model where the drivers are level with the wooden cups.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,007 of 1,091
  I suggest you return the GH1 and just get the RS1e, which is reportedly the least bright in-production Grado due to having the 50mm driver in a L-cup config. The 50mm drivers are tuned dark to offset the brightness that the G-cups bring. 

Unfortunately, at this stage I cannot return the GH-1's. So, they will likely soon be hitting the auction block.

Yes, I have long been curious about the RS-1's. Why would the RS-1e be tuned for a G-Cup, but be in an L- configuration? That's confusing to me.

Unlike the GH-1, it appears that none of the holes abutting the fabric backing of the RS-1's driver have been ported-through. Is this correct?

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #1,008 of 1,091
  The 50mm drivers are tuned dark to offset the brightness that the G-cups bring.

confused_face_2.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #1,009 of 1,091
Put S-pads on any 50mm Grado (RS1e/GS1ke/GS2ke/PS1ke) and hear the treble go way down. On the flip side, putting G-cups on a Prestige Series Grado causes the treble to be unbearably hot. Grado tunes down the treble on the 50mm drivers so that G-cup sound doesn't hit you like an icepick. But the RS1e also gets this treatment even though it uses L-cups.

I suppose that's why people love the TTVJ flats so much on certain models -- they give the immediacy and lower treble of the S-pads while retaining the clarity of the L-cups. Of course, in a pinch, people just cut a hole through the S-pad, though the foam density differs.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,018 of 1,091
In my experience using the G cushions does reduce the bass response. You would think it would have to since the drivers are further from your ears. It also gives you more of a left-right sound which reduces the center effect which can be weird on older recordings that have sound hard panned to either the left or right channel only.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,019 of 1,091
Damn this site and its influence on my credit card.

It's well worth it, I think you'll get what your looking for in the upper frequencies, along with a wider sound-stage and more comfort.
And if you ever buy a GS/PS you'll have an extra set of G cushions if you don't care for them on the GH1, which I highly doubt. 

@dpump
Yes, the G cushions will slightly reduce the bass because the drivers are further from your ears, but by no means is the bass anemic in any way. I feel the L cushions emphasize the bass slightly too much (for me) and feel the G cushions allow the bass to blend nicely into the rest of the frequencies.

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,020 of 1,091

It's well worth it, I think you'll get what your looking for in the upper frequencies, along with a wider sound-stage and more comfort.
And if you ever buy a GS/PS you'll have an extra set of G cushions if you don't care for them on the GH1, which I highly doubt. 

I have to give credit where it's due and say you were right on. I didn't think the GH1 was capable of sounding this good, and now they're also the most comfortable pair of headphones I own, even if they look slightly ridiculous :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back