Grado flat pad differences?
Oct 2, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #31 of 47
Density is crucial. The first goal should be to come as close to the Grado material as possible. After that, then you have the luxury of trying different foams. I'm thinking that Grado already did the experimentation though, and that its not by accident that they use the same foam for the bowl pads as they did for the flats. Yo, I wonder how that Swedish memory foam would work for the face sections!! That might be wicked.. the heat would allow them to conform to the outer ear while the standard foam for the back half would give strength and support.

Oct 3, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #32 of 47
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the measurements and the suggestions.

Let me explain more clearly what I am going to attempt. Basically I am going to take the measurements and sculpt a form to the appropriate dimensions, sort of like an old fashioned patternmaker. I will then make a mold of the form. Now, depending on the complexity of the final form the mold may be a simple two-part mold or a multi part assembly. The parts of the mold really only facilitate removal of the final product. After I have a suitable mold I will then use mix and pour liquid foam to cast a pad from the mold. Varying the proportions and the venting of the mold will determine the density of the foam, i.e. the more venting = bigger bubbles (gas has more room to expand) = less dense foam or vice versa. As a side note the foam that I am considering can be pigmented (meaning colors other than black).

I'm sure someone will question why I think I can do this. Well if you look at my profile you will see that I'm an Art Conservator. This means I have a BA in the classical studio arts, and an MS is art conservation/ preservation ( I specialize in 3D objects). Included in that MS, is experience in replicating missing parts and making damage disappear. My MS research was in plastics (i.e. polymer materials). If you ever visit a museum and think that everything is in perfect condition as it appears, think again. There was probably someone in my profession that had a hand in making it look presentable if, of course, that's what is necessary.

Thanks again to everyone for the info.

Namastay,
Cheeba-Fi

P.s. M Rael I may try contacting you via email outside of the forums at some point.

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #33 of 47
If you manage to make something similar to the flat pads, will you be offering them for sale?

Biggie.

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 47
Quite possibly (my wife would love for me to find some other way to pay for this damn addiction to headphones
biggrin.gif
), but only if I'm satisfied with the product and assuming I can produce them consistently and with some degree of speed. I will probably send out a few complimentary test samples (if I have something similar) to flat pad owners in the know to evaluate before I sell (note to M Rael your already on that list).

Namastay,
Cheeba-Fi

Oct 3, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #35 of 47
I sent you a PM Cheeba; let me know what you think.

Oct 4, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #36 of 47
About the foam density, wasn't there a Grado mod that suggested using silicone on the outer edge of the bowl pads to make them sound like flats? Wouldn't that keep more sound in? Hence if you could use a foam with slightly more density and the bowls as molds you could get close to the flat sound?
just wondering(cause I want a set too!),
md

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #37 of 47
why don't you just slice off the top of the bowl pads? quite a few of us have already done that, and found that it simulates the originals very very well.

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #38 of 47
Cheeba-Fi, I would like to get on that beta test list if possible. I would like to hear how your pads sound with my HP-1s. I currently have the original flats on them now. Thanks in advance.

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #39 of 47
M Rael, You've got PM mail

JMT, Ditto

skippy,
I probably will do that to get a sense of the original flat pads (and so I can further enjoy my 325’s). Just offering (possibly) an alternative for those who might be inept with sharp implements.

Namastay,
Cheeba-Fi

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #40 of 47
If I had a set of flat pads, I'd rush them to Cheeba-Fi to help with his project (I'm interested in getting some if the project is successful). Does anyone with several sets of flat pads have one they could spare for this project (If Cheeba-Fi can use them?). My guess is that an older set nearing the end of its useful life might still be useful for this, as it should still have the proper dimensions for the mold.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #42 of 47
any new developements?

other than using the yellow Senn pads and such, has anyone been able to make any flats?

would it really be useless for us all to email Grado Labs about them selling flats to the public, the way they do the comfy pads, for $30 or somesuch?

having RS-1s, SR200s on the way, and a burning desire to get HP-1/2s...im burning with the need for flats.

*sigh*

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #43 of 47
Whats wrong with the senn pads w/ holes cut out? I've tried the flats and they arn't that much different...

Biggie.

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If I had a set of flat pads, I'd rush them to Cheeba-Fi to help with his project (I'm interested in getting some if the project is successful). Does anyone with several sets of flat pads have one they could spare for this project (If Cheeba-Fi can use them?). My guess is that an older set nearing the end of its useful life might still be useful for this, as it should still have the proper dimensions for the mold.

I have an old set Of flat pads That are disintergrating I can send to Cheeba-fi to use as a guide.

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #45 of 47
This was 4 months ago so....

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back