I dont see any, do you?

pads.jpg

smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry to torment you like that.

Sep 20, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
I dont see any, do you?

Yep. The ones at the top left are smaller and rounder, and glazed with icing sugar.

Sep 20, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 47
"and glazed with icing sugar"

That's not icing.
eek.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
"and glazed with icing sugar"

That's not icing.
eek.gif

Ok, ok, ok.. I deserved that for posting such a provocative picture in the first place. Of all the Grados I've owned the RS1 seems to want the flat pads the most, to sound their best. Before that I never felt earpad types mattered too much. Now I know better.

Sep 20, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i really can't believe that nobody has found a way to manufacture these.. it'd be a damn gold mine on this board!

Maybe the molds are on Ebay somewhere...

Sep 20, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 47
From what Tyll and Todd told us...it is a ludicrous amount of money for the small band of head-fiers who would actually buy them. I would be willing to pay $30 for a pair if need be...but they need to order in batches of 10 000....which is a little ridiculous.

This saddens me because once my flats go...I will likely have to sell my RS-1s as I cn't listen to them without the flats. That really goes for all grados...the HP-1s I feel need the flats for comfort sake (the bowls wrap around my ears and press on my temples).

I really sincerely wish Grado would do something about it....

Sep 20, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 47
There's little doubt in my mind that a really motivated individual could probably achieve a pretty close facsimile reproduction of the Grado flat pads.

Apparently, hot-wire cutting works well for both rigid and soft foam. In theory, that would mean that reproduction earpads could be fabricated from suitable slabstock foam versus the molded foam process.

From what little I've read, the quality of the cut is determined primarily by the temperature and speed of the cutting wire, and can achieve a high level of precision.

Of course, an individual would have to identify a source of matching foam stock unless the current Grado OEM bowl pads are large enough such that they could be used as raw stock.

An individual would also have to design and build a jig or template for each type of cut that would be necessary for the earpad fabrication.

Personally though, I'm completely sold on modded RadioShack #33-379 pads. Altogether, I've bought eleven pairs of these. Seven pairs were eventually sacrificed in the name of science while trying to find the optimal hole size and perfect my cutting technique. The sonic benefits compared to the OEM bowl pads include:

- increase in apparent loudness
- astonishing increase in detail even at remarkably low volume levels
- increase in bass and 3/4 tones
- low cost and non-destructive

On the negative side, there's probably some slight decrease in soundstage (spatial width and depth), but considering the benefits I barely notice or miss that.

TravelLite

Sep 21, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 47
GIMMIE!!!!!

Biggie.

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 47
I have 3 pairs of flats, 1 pair I've had for about a year,1 for about 2 years and a brand new pair I removed from my 'new old' pair of RS1's.
The older pairs have been used heavily and although they still look good, when compared to a new pair they are thinner and the centre hole is slightly larger (about 3-5mm) these differnces are I believe entirely due to wear.
I prefer the new flats as it allows me to use a tighter headband (which gives a very smooth treble & good bass) without the phones pinching my ears.

I can't understand why people say the RS1's are bright, using an Earmax Pro and 'new' flats the sound is as smooth (but still detailed) as you could wish.

Zanth wrote
Quote:

This saddens me because once my flats go...I will likely have to sell my RS-1s as I cn't listen to them without the flats.

I totally agree

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 47
I own a pair of 325's and would love to try some flat pads on them.

Has anyone looked into garage manufacturing of the pads.

I know that polyurethane (this is the type of foam used for Grado pads I believe) mix and pour foam is available from a variety of sources. For example: http://www.smooth-on.com/foams.htm

The real key is for someone to make an accurate model of the pads to take a mold from. Basically, a solid sculpture the exact dimensions of the pad.

Making a good mold of such a simple form should be relatively easy (at most a 3, but probably a 2 part mold).

The density of the foam would probably have to worked out by trial and error, but I sure something close to the original density could be achieved.

Once you have the mold and the formula down, it should be pretty easy to do one-offs.

I would give it a go, but I don't have any flat pads as an example to work a model up from.

Namastay,
Cheeba-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back