Grado e Series
Jan 1, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #5,866 of 6,729
Okay, the X2's are going back to Amazon. Going back to them after getting used to the Grados makes it clear that I prefer the sound signature of the 225e. The mids are too recessed on the X2, and the bass is frequently overpowering, especially on funk and hip-hop. 

I'm now playing the 225e on my Pono player, and it's exceptionally easy to drive. I've got the volume at less than 50% and it's plenty loud. Lots of detail still. I had to push the volume much higher with the X2. The 225e is a better fit for me, although I do think the X2 is a nice, versatile set of headphones. It's just not the best for me.

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #5,867 of 6,729
Ha.. you Just answered my question.. Pono player. DoctorJazz, who is active on the HE1000 thread, loves the Pono player. I have not heard it myself.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #5,868 of 6,729
For me, the Pono player negates having to get a portable amp for mobile listening. The sound quality is simply sublime, especially in balanced mode (which sadly my Grados can't do without recabling), and given that it's frequently on sale for $300, I think it's got the best SQ:price ratio out there. Every time I see another DAP being praised, it's usually twice or more as expensive than the Pono.

I'm currently playing Marianne Faithfull's "Why'd Ya Do It" on my Pono with the 225e, and the sound is terrific: Gnarly and twisted and bitter, just like the track should sound. Faithfull's accusatory vocals come through so brilliantly. This is from a 16/44 rip of the MoFi CD from the '90s. Simply brilliant.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #5,869 of 6,729
@Merrick. When you say the bass was light at first, isn't that normal burn-in. I was under the impression that the e-series burn-in was jsut as such. The bass fills out.

I recently bought some active speakers brand new, and they were bass light when new. Now if anything they are bass perfect amount.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #5,870 of 6,729
  @Merrick. When you say the bass was light at first, isn't that normal burn-in. I was under the impression that the e-series burn-in was jsut as such. The bass fills out.

I recently bought some active speakers brand new, and they were bass light when new. Now if anything they are bass perfect amount.

It's possible that it was due to physical burn in, or due to brain burn in. Also realize I was comparing it against the Fidelio X2, which is a fairly bass heavy set of cans (although not so heavy as to be considered basshead cans from what I understand). Either way, the bass presents much better now, although my 400S still bests it in that department, which isn't surprising since those are planar headphones and the 225e is dynamic.

I will miss the higher build quality of the X2 though. Given that I think the 225e is at the limit of brightness I can tolerate, I'd have to upgrade past the 325e to get better built Grados. Not sure if I want to take that leap just yet.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #5,873 of 6,729
  You may have said, but what (amp and/or source) are you driving the SR225e with?  Bass and soundstage, both of which Grados tend to be light on, do improve with some amps (and for that matter, even with better DACs... my Multibit upgrade to my Schiit Bifrost improved both bass and soundstage).

I did want to mention that in addition to the Pono player, I also have a Geek Out V2 for my computer.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #5,874 of 6,729
   I'd have to upgrade past the 325e to get better built Grados. Not sure if I want to take that leap just yet.

The build quality is all the same with the exception of the RS1x/GS1Kx/PS1Kx having metal gimbals…and the SR325x having aluminum cups/plastic driver housings and the RS1x/GS1Kx having wood cups/wood driver housings and the PS500x/PS1Kx being hybrids with wood driver housings and aluminum cups. Also anything above the 225x also have leather headbands.

EDIT: 
confused_face.gif
 And the GH-1 also has wood cups/plastic driver housings. 
smile.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #5,875 of 6,729
That's what I meant, nicer materials. I'm not saying the 225e is poorly made, they just don't compare to the high quality materials of the X2. It's a different design ethos entirely.

But the quality of the materials is a secondary concern, I care much more how the headphones sound first and foremost.

By the way, it looks like my 225e has red drivers. I thought I read that was a limited time thing?

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #5,876 of 6,729
That's what I meant, nicer materials. I'm not saying the 225e is poorly made, they just don't compare to the high quality materials of the X2. It's a different design ethos entirely.

But the quality of the materials is a secondary concern, I care much more how the headphones sound first and foremost.

By the way, it looks like my 225e has red drivers. I thought I read that was a limited time thing?

Yes, the sound quality definitely comes first!
There was appoint where some were saying their (e) series were coming without the red on the backs o the drivers, but I just exchanged my brand new PS1Ke and both came with the red on the backs of the drivers, so who knows?

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #5,877 of 6,729
I've been listening to the sr80e for five days; the sound signature is really different from other headphones, not the usual "shape".

It is very mid centric with emphasis on the upper mids, bringing a form of "life" to music. But for pop, this "liveliness" brings out vocals and seemed to drown-out the accompanied background music. This doesn't mean its bad but just different and depending on the taste of individuals and also the song you're listening to, one may preferred such "liveliness" in pop genres. I feel that pop genre is never its strong point. It is more tuned in favor of acoustic guitars, jazz, cymbals; music that are more vocal focused.

The bass is also adequate but not as punchy with a "chesty thump" as other headphones.

Treble is not bright at all but instead smoothly renders on Adele's "Someone like you" and Tayeon's "I". The brightness association may have been from the upper mids, causing more forwarding mids.

Lastly, the details are quite prominent for the price. I could detect almost the same quality of details as my ath-r70x but of course, the r70x has more clarity and separation, etc.

I think Grado is a good addition to headphone collection which gives a second opinion/rendition to music.

Now I wonder how much details are in the higher end Grado...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #5,879 of 6,729
  I've been listening to the sr80e for five days; the sound signature is really different from other headphones, not the usual "shape".

It is very mid centric with emphasis on the upper mids, bringing a form of "life" to music. But for pop, this "liveliness" brings out vocals and seemed to drown-out the accompanied background music. This doesn't mean its bad but just different and depending on the taste of individuals and also the song you're listening to, one may preferred such "liveliness" in pop genres. I feel that pop genre is never its strong point. It is more tuned in favor of acoustic guitars, jazz, cymbals; music that are more vocal focused.

The bass is also adequate but not as punchy with a "chesty thump" as other headphones.

Treble is not bright at all but instead smoothly renders on Adele's "Someone like you" and Tayeon's "I". The brightness association may have been from the upper mids, causing more forwarding mids.

Lastly, the details are quite prominent for the price. I could detect almost the same quality of details as my ath-r70x but of course, the r70x has more clarity and separation, etc.

I think Grado is a good addition to headphone collection which gives a second opinion/rendition to music.

Now I wonder how much details are in the higher end Grado...
smily_headphones1.gif

Swap pads to L-Cush

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #5,880 of 6,729

Swap pads to L-Cush

I've been noticing this recommendation from the Grado SR80 Impression thread. I'll definitely look into it.

The higher end Grados are more refined…the 80 has excellent detail IMO/IME with my Grados.

I thought so too; Few months back, I've demo the sr225e for around 30 mins which I wasn't able to grasp the sound signature totally; kept hearing the mids only. I think now that I have a better idea about Grado, maybe one day I'll demo them again. But for now, got to save up the wallet and temptation. This headphone hobby is very dangerous. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back