Grado e Series
Dec 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5,776 of 6,729

I might check into that, thanks.

The final choices that Grado makes might not be ideal one for you. Take the GH-1 for exemple, from what I've read, everyone that have tried the G-cush have preferred them to the L-cush that Grado decided to go with. I own 7 pairs of Grados, and 4 of them aren't wearing their original pads, and comfort is the only reason why I keep the stock S-cush on my SR80i, because I mostly use them when I'm wearing my glasses.

Like I've said before, I'm willing to try pretty much any mods, as long as they don't leave permanent scars.

I've always thought that the GS1000 first came out in 2006. Anyway, I owned HD600 too, and when I compared both, the HD600 sounded veiled next to the GS1000, so I sold my HD600, and became a Storm Trooper with the Dark Side.

I did give the HD800 a try, when they first came out, and even though I thought that they sounded very good, and were a major improvement over the HD600, by that time, I'd bought my PS1000, wich, to this day, have been my favorite pair of headphones.

Could have been 2006 man... not 100% on the date

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5,777 of 6,729

I'm happy for you Buddy!
beerchug.gif

Hey John, just out of curiousity, where would you rank your HP1000, and PS1000, among your 20 pairs of Grados?

In my opinion, when you reach the $500-$600, anything's possible. Some people prefer the $900 RS1(i) ,to the $1900 (Canadian prices), PS1000.

That being said, I'm sure that many would agree, that even compared to the SR325e, the RS2e, still represents a great value,

Yes, and they also take some of the bass away, and widen the soundstage.

What benefits do the RS1E or RS2E have over the 325?

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,778 of 6,729
  What benefits do the RS1E or RS2E have over the 325?

I did NOT, I repeat, did NOT, mention the RS1e!.
eek.gif

Seriously though, I haven't heard the RS1e, and from what I've read, they lack the treble energy that Grados are famous for.  They're not very popular, especially compared to the RS1, and RS1i, wich were some of the most liked Grado models,

I haven't heard the SR325e, that's why I invited those who have, to pitch in. The RS2i went from being one the least popular models, to one of the most popular ones, that why I call them Grado's ''Ciderella'' model.
biggrin.gif

In the case of the SR325i, people either loved them, or they hated them. It's no secret that the e series headphones generally have a bit more bass, and a slightly more polite treble, and in the SR325e's case that was exactly what the doctor ordered.

In my opinion, the SR325e, and the RS2e, are the two Grado models that have benefited the most from what the e serie changes have brought, and I think that you can't go wrong with either of these two.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #5,781 of 6,729
Ok, I want to thank you guys for making me spend $400.00 total on a new pair of of sr325e.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to install electricity in the dog house in the back yard where I'll be residing for the next few weeks, so that I can at least listen to my new pair of headphones while I lick my wounds.  
redface.gif

Seriously this is the 2nd pair of Grados that I buy from this guy named Francois who runs "High-End Audio Exchange" in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.  I'm giving him a plug because he's a decent guy (an ex military & audio fanatic who established himself in Kingston & started his own business) and has given me very good deals so far.  Most of you know the price of Headphones is more expensive in Canada not to mention that most retailers will charge you, by law, the tax percentage of the province the buyer lives in.  In Nova Scotia, where I live, the harmonized tax totals 15% (yes it's highway robbery) & I found 3 other retailers who sell the sr325e online in Canada & the price is the same for all three : $399.95 CDN + 15% total tax + s&h for 2 of the retailers the 3rd one ships for free when you spend more than $100.00.  So let's forget the s&h price & just calculate the price + the tax = $459.95 (add an extra $20 for s&h) = $480 rounded up, close to $500.00.  In the US they sell for $295 on average.

Why did I mention all of this, well this guy sells them for $350 + taxes +s&h but he rounded up the amount to a flat $400.00.  If I buy a used pair on Head-fi (there is one for sale) with the currency difference : $1.00 US = .72 cents CDN + Customs = more than the brand new pair I just bought.  Now this same guy sold me earlier this year a new pair of PS1000e (which I really like, better than the HD800 which I've owned on three separate occasions, SE & XLR) for a flat $2,000 CDN.  Considering that they average, lowest I've seen, $1,995.99 - $2,195.99 CDN + taxes + s&h ... you get the idea.  That's why I'm giving this guy a plug.  So now after reading the positive comments on a few posts in this thread and learning that the sr325e has won "Best on-ear headphone Award" in 2014 & 2015 on the What Hi-Fi ? site http://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr325e/review, well I sold the RS1e that I had (& didn't really enjoy that much) & used the money (& have some leftover) to purchase the sr325e.

I will post my impressions once I get them and have installed the electricity in the dog house (once my wife notices the delivery truck at in our lane way.) 
biggrin.gif
  Merry Christmas everyone.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #5,783 of 6,729
I have a bit of a concern regarding Grado reverting back to black drivers. Is it definitely not the case they have gone back to the old 'i' series ones using old stock. If not why did they change the colour? The red looked better.

I'm just so pleased with my red driver 80e, much more so than my old 80i. I'm worried if I was to 'upgrade' to a 125e or 325e they might in reality be 125i or 325iSs and not actually be better.

any thoughts? Am I stupid for thinking this way.

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #5,784 of 6,729
I have a bit of a concern regarding Grado reverting back to black drivers. Is it definitely not the case they have gone back to the old 'i' series ones using old stock. If not why did they change the colour? The red looked better.

I'm just so pleased with my red driver 80e, much more so than my old 80i. I'm worried if I was to 'upgrade' to a 125e or 325e they might in reality be 125i or 325iSs and not actually be better.

any thoughts? Am I an stupid for thinking this way.

Perhaps just a bit paranoid.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #5,785 of 6,729
  Ok, I want to thank you guys for making me spend $400.00 total on a new pair of of sr325e.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to install electricity in the dog house in the back yard where I'll be residing for the next few weeks, so that I can at least listen to my new pair of headphones while I lick my wounds.  
redface.gif

Seriously this is the 2nd pair of Grados that I buy from this guy named Francois who runs "High-End Audio Exchange" in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.  I'm giving him a plug because he's a decent guy (an ex military & audio fanatic who established himself in Kingston & started his own business) and has given me very good deals so far.  Most of you know the price of Headphones is more expensive in Canada not to mention that most retailers will charge you, by law, the tax percentage of the province the buyer lives in.  In Nova Scotia, where I live, the harmonized tax totals 15% (yes it's highway robbery) & I found 3 other retailers who sell the sr325e online in Canada & the price is the same for all three : $399.95 CDN + 15% total tax + s&h for 2 of the retailers the 3rd one ships for free when you spend more than $100.00.  So let's forget the s&h price & just calculate the price + the tax = $459.95 (add an extra $20 for s&h) = $480 rounded up, close to $500.00.  In the US they sell for $295 on average.

Why did I mention all of this, well this guy sells them for $350 + taxes +s&h but he rounded up the amount to a flat $400.00.  If I buy a used pair on Head-fi (there is one for sale) with the currency difference : $1.00 US = .72 cents CDN + Customs = more than the brand new pair I just bought.  Now this same guy sold me earlier this year a new pair of PS1000e (which I really like, better than the HD800 which I've owned on three separate occasions, SE & XLR) for a flat $2,000 CDN.  Considering that they average, lowest I've seen, $1,995.99 - $2,195.99 CDN + taxes + s&h ... you get the idea.  That's why I'm giving this guy a plug.  So now after reading the positive comments on a few posts in this thread and learning that the sr325e has won "Best on-ear headphone Award" in 2014 & 2015 on the What Hi-Fi ? site http://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr325e/review, well I sold the RS1e that I had (& didn't really enjoy that much) & used the money (& have some leftover) to purchase the sr325e.

I will post my impressions once I get them and have installed the electricity in the dog house (once my wife notices the delivery truck at in our lane way.) 
biggrin.gif

I'm glad that you brought this up. I'm sure that this is something that many of us have to deal with. Coming home to an angry spouse, obviously takes away some of the enthusiasm that we feel after a purchase.
frown.gif

I can sympathyse with you. Every time I wanted to buy a new piece of audio, or video gear, my wife demanded that I give her the same amount in cash. I gave in a few times, just to shut her up.

She eventually went back to work, but she kept demanding her ''equal'' share of my expences. I pointed to her tons of clothings, and her 34, yes, 34 pairs of shoes, and asked for my ''equal'' share of her exagerated clothing expences.

I eventually got fed up, so I threw her out, and got divorced a few months later. This was 13 years ago, and I still remember the first piece of gear that I'd bought after she'd left. It was my Musical fidelity X-Can V-2 headphone amp. I remember telling my salesman, (he knew my wife), about how great it felt, coming home with my new amp and hearing....absolutely nothing! 
wink.gif

Oh! and congratz on the SR325e, from what I've read, along with the RS2e, they seem to be the two most popular models of the e serie.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #5,786 of 6,729
  I am actually trying to decide if the dog-house exists.
atsmile.gif
Or you mean it as the expression we have in the UK for being in trouble. Hahah, have a blast with your new headphones dude.

You got it.  It does indeed mean being in trouble, e.g. "I thought you said you weren't buying any more headphones" or "You bought headphones again ???!!!!! " or "Yeah, yeah, ..... yeah ..... (which means more than 'Yeah') "  You must be married also Greenbow
biggrin.gif
  Thanks BTW.  I expect to have a blast with the sr325e, especially if it lives up to everything I've read/heard about them. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,787 of 6,729

any thoughts? Am I an stupid for thinking this way.

With the amount of ''Frankensteins'' that Grado has produced, anything's possible, so no, I don't think you're stupid for thinking this way.

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #5,788 of 6,729

You got it.  It does indeed mean being in trouble, e.g. "I thought you said you weren't buying any more headphones" or "You bought headphones again ???!!!!! " or "Yeah, yeah, ..... yeah ..... (which means more than 'Yeah') "  You must be married also Greenbow
biggrin.gif
  Thanks BTW.  I expect to have a blast with the sr325e, especially if it lives up to everything I've read/heard about them. 
beerchug.gif

This is probably a good time for me to republish the price list for wifely approval that my wife gave me concerning my headphone hobby:

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #5,789 of 6,729

redface.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm glad that you brought this up. I'm sure that this is something that many of us have to deal with. Coming home to an angry spouse, obviously takes away some of the enthusiasm that we feel after a purchase.
frown.gif

I can sympathyse with you. Every time I wanted to buy a new piece of audio, or video gear, my wife demanded that I give her the same amount in cash. I gave in a few times, just to shut her up.

She eventually went back to work, but she kept demanding her ''equal'' share of my expences. I pointed to her tons of clothings, and her 34, yes, 34 pairs of shoes, and asked for my ''equal'' share of her exagerated clothing expences.

I eventually got fed up, so I threw her out, and got divorced a few months later. This was 13 years ago, and I still remember the first piece of gear that I'd bought after she'd left. It was my Musical fidelity X-Can V-2 headphone amp. I remember telling my salesman, (he knew my wife), about how great it felt, coming home with my new amp and hearing....absolutely nothing! 
wink.gif

Oh! and congratz on the SR325e, from what I've read, along with the RS2e, they seem to be the two most popular models of the e serie.

Thanks for sharing this stacker45, it feels good to know I'm not alone.  I have a question for you though : 34, yes, 34 pairs of shoes = is your wife's given name Imelda ? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back