biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

May 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,667 of 6,729

With the continual glowing reports on the 2e coming
out of this thread, I think I'll have to get a pair in
the next week or so after I clear up some other
projects.

Zazex,
If you're going to the NY Head-Fi meet on Saturday, I'll have the RS2e (among others) there for audition and sale. If not, and you're in the city, happy to arrange an audition with your own equipment at the place of your choosing. Cheers.

May 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,670 of 6,729
  Zazex,
If you're going to the NY Head-Fi meet on Saturday, I'll have the RS2e (among others) there for audition and sale. If not, and you're in the city, happy to arrange an audition with your own equipment at the place of your choosing. Cheers.

that's service !

May 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,673 of 6,729
  Thanks stacker.  Are yours the pink drivers?

Where did you find a NOS RS1 if you don't mind me asking?

No pink drivers.

Thanks to kayandjohn's tip, I bought them from LPGear.

May 2, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4,675 of 6,729
  When I bought my RS1i's, I also bought the RS2i's.
The 2i's sounded like the 1i's with insufficient bass,
and they were thus almost unlistenable for any decent 
length of time.  The treble was great, though, and I
was urged to move to the 1i's in order to correct the
bass deficiency.

I like my 1i's very much, but the treble is beginning
to grate on me a bit.  And I wish they had a wee bit
more bass.

With the continual glowing reports on the 2e coming
out of this thread, I think I'll have to get a pair in
the next week or so after I clear up some other
projects.

The RS2e is little lighter on bass overall than the RS1i, but the treble is definitely much easier on the ears.  It's smoother and a little better balanced. 

When it comes to the bass, the RS1i seems to have more low bass, but the RS2e has a little more upper-bass/lower-mids.  It leaves the RS1i sounding deeper but more hollow in the mids while the RS2e is punchier but a little compressed.  I have no problem going between them.  I never heard the RS2i, so I can't compare directly, but if you felt the RS1i bass was good then I don't consider the RS2e the type of drop off that would become a dealbreaker. 

May 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4,676 of 6,729
I have a pair of Grado SR60 which are about 15 years old and which I enjoy using in my home office with an iPod (using lossless ALAC files) and an Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp. My musical tastes are mainly rock, blues, prog rock and acoustic rock (e.g. Wishbone Ash, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc.). I have other headphones I use in other contexts (see my sig).

Although I'm happy with the sound of my SR60, I'd like to upgrade to an e-series Grado which will similarly be almost exclusively used as above. My question which level of Grado should I go for? My budget (I will be paying in UK £) could stretch as far as a PS500e or an RS2e, but I wonder if that's overkill for the kind of listening I will do with these headphones? If the Prestige series is more appropriate for my needs in this context which level should I go for? I'm really just looking for pointers of where to start as I will base my final choice after doing some listening.

Thanks. 

May 2, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #4,678 of 6,729

The RS2e is little lighter on bass overall than the RS1i, but the treble is definitely much easier on the ears.  It's smoother and a little better balanced. 

When it comes to the bass, the RS1i seems to have more low bass, but the RS2e has a little more upper-bass/lower-mids.  It leaves the RS1i sounding deeper but more hollow in the mids while the RS2e is punchier but a little compressed.  I have no problem going between them.  I never heard the RS2i, so I can't compare directly, but if you felt the RS1i bass was good then I don't consider the RS2e the type of drop off that would become a dealbreaker. 

Thanks for that detailed comparison.

May 2, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #4,679 of 6,729

Users who are viewing this thread

Back