Grado e Series
May 2, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #4,681 of 6,729
  Letting me know where you purchased the NOS RS1 from may have been the worst thing for me to know!!!

Can't say I'm sorry, because for me, this turned out to be one of the most precious bit of information that have ever recieved. And since you and I are almost always on the same page well...
wink.gif

May 3, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,682 of 6,729
Hey everyone,

So, some of you may have noticed that I sold my RS2e's.  I was very reluctant to do so, but I pretty much verified for sure that they really exacerbate my tinnitus.  Normally, I never notice it unless I'm in a dead quiet space, like the hearing test booth at the audiologist.  Or that's one time for sure that I noticed it a couple years ago now.  But the night and morning after I first got my RS2e's--which I admittedly listened to for far too long in one go--I had much, much more noticeable tinnitus.  But it was only in one ear, and I also had fluid building up in my middle ears, so I figured that it was just coincidence, and had nothing to do with the RS2e's.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it definitely has something to do with the RS2e's.  If I listened to them for more than a few songs in a row, I would notice an obvious ringing in my ears afterward--usually mostly my left, but sometimes both.  I tried EQ'ing various frequencies, and thought about investing in some TTVJ flats or some S-Cush, but I figured if EQ'ing didn't make any difference, neither would the flats.  Plus, I like the sound of the RS2e's with the stock L-Cush!  No, scratch that, actually I love the sound of the RS2e's with the stock pads.  Even if EQ'ing or some other mod had helped with the tinnitus thing, it would have meant a sound signature which I liked less, I suspect.

Anyway, so, point is, I think it's just me, and I still highly recommend that people try out the Grado e series headphones.

For my final assessment of the RS2e's, I would say that their weakest area is bass extension.  It just really isn't there.  So, for something like organ music, it's painfully obvious that they are missing out on the sub-bass.  However, the rest of the bass is clean, un-bloated, and tight, and very enjoyable, and on most source material, the lack of sub-bass is a non-issue--or only a minor one, especially in comparison with the rest of the spectrum.  Mid-range is incredible, with great presence.  The treble is emphasized, but doesn't have any obvious spikes that stand out--or at least not with the music I used.  This is in sharp contrast to the SR225e's, for example, where certain treble elements in some of my audition music were just painfully emphasized.  Not so with the RS2e's.  Which I greatly appreciated.

And, it is my personal opinion that the RS2e's are some of the most beautiful headphones ever made--pleasing to both the eye and the hand.  Very well made, nice and light, but with a quality feel in your hands.  The wood, the leather, the cord, the grills--just exude a certain something that says "class".  I will miss them.  But I just didn't want to mess around with something like tinnitus.  If indeed it is true that I already have tinnitus, and most of the time I just don't notice it, then I really really want to keep it that way.  Because for those weeks that it was obviously noticeable, I really really didn't like it.  I very much empathize with those who suffer from it.

Ah well, goodbye for now Grado aficionados!  I may in the future try the PS500e's and be back, but only if I can audition them in a store or a meet or something.  Take care everyone!

May 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #4,683 of 6,729
  Hey everyone,

So, some of you may have noticed that I sold my RS2e's.  I was very reluctant to do so, but I pretty much verified for sure that they really exacerbate my tinnitus.  Normally, I never notice it unless I'm in a dead quiet space, like the hearing test booth at the audiologist.  Or that's one time for sure that I noticed it a couple years ago now.  But the night and morning after I first got my RS2e's--which I admittedly listened to for far too long in one go--I had much, much more noticeable tinnitus.  But it was only in one ear, and I also had fluid building up in my middle ears, so I figured that it was just coincidence, and had nothing to do with the RS2e's.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it definitely has something to do with the RS2e's.  If I listened to them for more than a few songs in a row, I would notice an obvious ringing in my ears afterward--usually mostly my left, but sometimes both.  I tried EQ'ing various frequencies, and thought about investing in some TTVJ flats or some S-Cush, but I figured if EQ'ing didn't make any difference, neither would the flats.  Plus, I like the sound of the RS2e's with the stock L-Cush!  No, scratch that, actually I love the sound of the RS2e's with the stock pads.  Even if EQ'ing or some other mod had helped with the tinnitus thing, it would have meant a sound signature which I liked less, I suspect.

Anyway, so, point is, I think it's just me, and I still highly recommend that people try out the Grado e series headphones.

For my final assessment of the RS2e's, I would say that their weakest area is bass extension.  It just really isn't there.  So, for something like organ music, it's painfully obvious that they are missing out on the sub-bass.  However, the rest of the bass is clean, un-bloated, and tight, and very enjoyable, and on most source material, the lack of sub-bass is a non-issue--or only a minor one, especially in comparison with the rest of the spectrum.  Mid-range is incredible, with great presence.  The treble is emphasized, but doesn't have any obvious spikes that stand out--or at least not with the music I used.  This is in sharp contrast to the SR225e's, for example, where certain treble elements in some of my audition music were just painfully emphasized.  Not so with the RS2e's.  Which I greatly appreciated.

And, it is my personal opinion that the RS2e's are some of the most beautiful headphones ever made--pleasing to both the eye and the hand.  Very well made, nice and light, but with a quality feel in your hands.  The wood, the leather, the cord, the grills--just exude a certain something that says "class".  I will miss them.  But I just didn't want to mess around with something like tinnitus.  If indeed it is true that I already have tinnitus, and most of the time I just don't notice it, then I really really want to keep it that way.  Because for those weeks that it was obviously noticeable, I really really didn't like it.  I very much empathize with those who suffer from it.

Ah well, goodbye for now Grado aficionados!  I may in the future try the PS500e's and be back, but only if I can audition them in a store or a meet or something.  Take care everyone!

Sorry about your tinnitus.

I can understand where Grado's and tinnitus do not mix.

I must listen to my Grado's at a very low listening level....luckily they keep the same great detail at low volume.

May 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #4,684 of 6,729
  Hey everyone,

Thanks for this. I wonder whether Grados can lead to tinnitus. When did your tinnitus start up? Before or after you started your journey with Grados? I don't have tinnitus, but have found that, regardless of the model, listening to Grados at even modest volumes (10 o'clock on BHA-1 balanced, high gain) can leave my eardrums "ringing" a bit thereafter. And that's with soft rock or symphonic music. Not good.

Good luck on your HP journey hereafter -

May 3, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,685 of 6,729

Hey everyone,

Thanks for this. I wonder whether Grados can lead to tinnitus. When did your tinnitus start up? Before or after you started your journey with Grados? I don't have tinnitus, but have found that, regardless of the model, listening to Grados at even modest volumes (10 o'clock on BHA-1 balanced, high gain) can leave my eardrums "ringing" a bit thereafter. And that's with soft rock or symphonic music. Not good.

In the past, if I got the fluid-in-the-middle-ear thing (sinus otitis) going on and didn't notice right away or do anything about it (like, for example, the first time it happened), then I would get ringing in one or both ears, but it would always go away when the fluid build up went away.  So I never called it tinnitus and never thought of it as that.  I mean, obviously, ringing in the ears kind of is tinnitus, but I never thought that I had tinnitus.

So, a month ago was the first time ever that I had ringing in my ear(s) without having the sinus otitis, and it definitely correlated with the RS2e's.  So, for example, it's gone now and hasn't come back like that since.  Although, I do notice some very slight ringing when it is very quiet and I think about that sound and experience.  Although, according to the audiologist, most people have some slight amount of tinnitus when it is very very quiet.  And I can listen to my Sony 7506's or Senn HD-595's or Ety ER-4S's as long as I want with no appearance of the tinnitus symptoms.  It was only with the RS2e's that they appeared. And when I have had the sinus otitis, of course.

And, for the record, I never listen to my music at loud volumes.  I have a volume limit dialed into my iPhone, in fact.  And, when I did listen to my RS2e's, it had to be in a relatively quiet room or the room noise would interfere with the music.  So the music obviously wasn't that loud!  And I was especially careful with the RS2e's, listening even softer than I normally would.  I'm pretty careful about my hearing.

So, upshot is that even if the RS2e's did lead to tinnitus, it was more or less temporary.  Or so it seems at this point.  So far so good!

May 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #4,686 of 6,729

Hey everyone,

In the past, if I got the fluid-in-the-middle-ear thing (sinus otitis) going on and didn't notice right away or do anything about it (like, for example, the first time it happened), then I would get ringing in one or both ears, but it would always go away when the fluid build up went away.  So I never called it tinnitus and never thought of it as that.  I mean, obviously, ringing in the ears kind of is tinnitus, but I never thought that I had tinnitus.

So, a month ago was the first time ever that I had ringing in my ear(s) without having the sinus otitis, and it definitely correlated with the RS2e's.  So, for example, it's gone now and hasn't come back like that since.  Although, I do notice some very slight ringing when it is very quiet and I think about that sound and experience.  Although, according to the audiologist, most people have some slight amount of tinnitus when it is very very quiet.  And I can listen to my Sony 7506's or Senn HD-595's or Ety ER-4S's as long as I want with no appearance of the tinnitus symptoms.  It was only with the RS2e's that they appeared. And when I have had the sinus otitis, of course.

And, for the record, I never listen to my music at loud volumes.  I have a volume limit dialed into my iPhone, in fact.  And, when I did listen to my RS2e's, it had to be in a relatively quiet room or the room noise would interfere with the music.  So the music obviously wasn't that loud!  And I was especially careful with the RS2e's, listening even softer than I normally would.  I'm pretty careful about my hearing.

So, upshot is that even if the RS2e's did lead to tinnitus, it was more or less temporary.  Or so it seems at this point.  So far so good!

That is great that you listen to them at low volume, I just mentioned it because I believe many people listen to them at to high of a volume, and Grado even  mentions this...also the fact , that I can't listen to them at high volume, either.

One of the greatest things i liked about my RS1i....it was just awesome at low volume.  
smile.gif

May 3, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #4,687 of 6,729
whirlwind,

Absolutely!  All the Grado's I've ever heard were really good at low volume--so clear and detailed and resolved that I never felt the need to push the volume up a bit to get more clarity.  Wonderful.  Ah.  I miss my RS2e's already!  LOL!  I was just thinking of how well they handled Adele's cover of the Cure's "Lovesong".  Goosebumps.  :frowning2:

May 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #4,688 of 6,729
Yeh i found that its best to listen to grados at lower volumes, i could always tell when i'd had them up too loud as it seemed to temporarily amplify my tinnitus. Luckily it never caused me any discomfort it was just much more noticeable in quiet environments.

May 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4,689 of 6,729
Sorry they didn't work out, if you get a chance to try the PS500e do so, they are awesome and have plenty of bass. Good luck on your HP journey!

Sitting here listening to the PS1000 on my iPhone, fantastic, try doing that with an HD800/LCD 3!

May 3, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #4,690 of 6,729
  Hey everyone,

Sorry to hear that, in fact, I do think that the RS2e can be a bit painful when paired with wrong setups.
I only use my RS2e with my Lenovo laptop headphone jack at the moment and it sounds very plesant (yeah, it is, despite sacrifice a bit sound quality), but when I paired with my iphone, it can sounds a bit harsh at high mid part and my ears hurts, I had same issue with Meridian Explorer2. So you need a warm and dark sounding setup for the RS2e.

Something interesting about the e serie sound is that both the RS2e and PS500e had a bit metallic texture in their sound (yeah, even the RS2e has slightly metallic sound in low treble/ high mids when pairing with a bright sounding source) and it's a bit unpleasant to me.
The PS500e, althogh has bigger sound stage and better bass, it's more fatiguing, even more so than the previous model, so try before you buy.
The new MSpro 'e' has fuller mids, rounder bass (the quantity is similar as the PS500e but less linear) and less treble, it sounds so 'safe' that I'm sure it won't leads to tinnitus. Although I doubt you will like the sound as I didn't like it.

May 3, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #4,691 of 6,729
Originally Posted by Zuqi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

RS2e and PS500e had a bit metallic texture in their sound.
The PS500e, althogh has bigger sound stage and better bass, it's more fatiguing, even more so than the previous model, so try before you buy.

Yuck. Those are deal-breakers for me. No 500e for me!
cheers,

May 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #4,692 of 6,729
Sorry they didn't work out, if you get a chance to try the PS500e do so, they are awesome and have plenty of bass. Good luck on your HP journey!

Sitting here listening to the PS1000 on my iPhone, fantastic, try doing that with an HD800/LCD 3!

Yeah, there is no easier can to amp, for sure.

May 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #4,693 of 6,729
Yeah, there is no easier can to amp, for sure.

They are, still love the hd800 with the right amp, source and cables, fantastic for classical. The Grado hangs with it though, at a point in the future I will get them wired for interchangeable cables and give my Draug 2's a shot.

May 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #4,694 of 6,729
  Anyone out there want to weigh in on the merits of the GS1000e - getting close to grabbing a pair but wanted to see if anyone has any opinion vs rs2e that I already own. 

A great phone for me. Highlights:
1. Well balanced; no frequency stands out.
2. Mellower in the upper mids than previous GS phones, and overall just right up there, not too raw. But this is not a recessed midrange or a case of vocals in the background.
   In fact, on some older CDs of mine, a sharp or shiny vocal can be too prominent, but this is pretty rare, but other Grados, like the RS1 I have and my former PS1K were much more prone to this.
3. Bass is plump and pretty tight. Not as detailed as Stax bass, but very pleasing in a Grado way, meaning generous.
4. Overall, a non-analytical sound, kind of the opposite of HD800s, but not at all boring or muffled.
5. Staging is not as cavernous or hall-like as previous GS (especially the original), but that old sound seemed a bit artificial. The new staging is natural.
6. Mids are more forward than the old GS, but forward just right, not overly intrusive.
7. There is a certain silky sound to it that is sweet and musical; no hardness or too sharp knife edge boundaries to images that, to me, can be annoying even if it is more "real" or exciting.
8. Percussion is nice and speedy, but not overly snappy which can be fatiguing.
9. Overall, the GS1000e is not dark, not tipped up or bright, but just walks the line, unless the recording is especially bright, which sends me to, say, my TH900 with its mids pushed back a little for comfort.

May 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,695 of 6,729
Grado and amps im glad you mentioned this topic..Any one using the Shiit Magni 2 ,  I have been trying this amp out past few weeks with my phones.And im finding out that on my 225i with red drivers I can hardly turn up the amp even on low gain, and only up to about 9  - 10  using my 325i ,  im ok on my goldring and senn hd 580 on low or high gain.
So now im using my Yamaha amp headphone output where I can get a bit more volume control on the  225i,
Which is a shame, as I would have thought the amp would have sounded a bit better , etc.......Any one else found this ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back