Grado e Series
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #3,211 of 6,729
@Zuqi

The GR10 is a sweet sweet sounding headphone, very sweet mids. It was very catchy sounding, I think it's mids is the best I've ever heard from an IEM, even surpass some $1000-dollar IEMs. Highly recommended!

From memory PS500e sounds similar to the old PS500, but the bass is definitely a bit less and more controlled and the tonal balance is more towards neutral sounding, the old version is a bit more towards bassy sounding.

I agree with your point no2 about ps500e. But for the GR10..which iem ($1000) u are talking about? May i know? I have 5 iems at level of $1k. And i played with GR10 for a week. But it is hard for me to say GR10 surpass any of them technically. Not saying GR10 is bad. I prefer GR10 over sony ex1000 japan version. But compared to shure846/dita truth balanced/roxy uiem/fitear parterre/tg334 - i think gr10 still a level below. Just sharing my opinion. Cheers.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong Muzic, the statement "I think it's mids is the best I've ever heard from an IEM, even surpass some $1000-dollar IEMs" is only regarding the mids of the gr10, didn't mentioned the treble and bass of it could compare with the $1000+ flagships.
wink.gif
 I'll share a bit more impressions and you will see.
After 2 days time with the GR10, I discovered some of the parts which the gr10 doesn't perform as good as it's $300-$500 rivals, that's it's bass and treble extension and energy, not to mention to compare with the $1000+ Sennie800,Shure846 and AKGs, the treble and bass quality is good though.
For portable use, I think the GR10 is good enough, and it's lovely mids makes it a strong contender in the compition of mid-priced iems.
The PS500e, as I don't have a dedicated sourse and amp, my impression is only based on pluging it to my computer's headphone jack. The PS sound of 500e has good cohesion, the treble is delicate (in Grado's term) and has great extention, the treble never sound harsh, that's a big improvement for Grado, the bass is well controlled, quantity is a bit more than neutral but it matched well with it's delicate treble and overall sound signature.
The mids... hmmmm, the quality is good, that's without a doubt, but it's a bit thin for my liking, and the overall sound is not as lively as the last generation Grados. Maybe because of this, the PS500e lack a bit of "Grado Magic"/soul, I am a bit concerned about this.
The reason why after tried headphones from other brand for a while but always come back to Grados (I own and owned 10 Grados) is because it's lively presentation makes me smile, but the PS500e lacks it. Maybe I need to tried it on a dedicated sourse and amp and see if it can improve.
Overall, I am glad to see/hear the cohesion sound of the headphones.

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #3,212 of 6,729
@zuqi

Fair enough. I can understand ur point now :) the gr10, imo, they dont really have that Grado airyness and less open compared to a grado cans. And these flaws that make me canceled my buying that time bcos i was expecting for an iem that close to grado signature cans.

Again, as for the ps500e..i could not agree more with your description. I think we have a same impression on ps500e. All u said about ps500e mirrors to what i feel about it. And so does what the reason that make u coming back to grado...is what the exact same reason for me too.

Cheers :wink:

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,213 of 6,729
Don't get me wrong Muzic, the statement "I think it's mids is the best I've ever heard from an IEM, even surpass some $1000-dollar IEMs" is only regarding the mids of the gr10, didn't mentioned the treble and bass of it could compare with the $1000+ flagships.:wink:  I'll share a bit more impressions and you will see.
After 2 days time with the GR10, I discovered some of the parts which the gr10 doesn't perform as good as it's $300-$500 rivals, that's it's bass and treble extension and energy, not to mention to compare with the $1000+ Sennie800,Shure846 and AKGs, the treble and bass quality is good though.
For portable use, I think the GR10 is good enough, and it's lovely mids makes it a strong contender in the compition of mid-priced iems.
The PS500e, as I don't have a dedicated sourse and amp, my impression is only based on pluging it to my computer's headphone jack. The PS sound of 500e has good cohesion, the treble is delicate (in Grado's term) and has great extention, the treble never sound harsh, that's a big improvement for Grado, the bass is well controlled, quantity is a bit more than neutral but it matched well with it's delicate treble and overall sound signature.
The mids... hmmmm, the quality is good, that's without a doubt, but it's a bit thin for my liking, and the overall sound is not as lively as the last generation Grados. Maybe because of this, the PS500e lack a bit of "Grado Magic"/soul, I am a bit concerned about this.
The reason why after tried headphones from other brand for a while but always come back to Grados (I own and owned 10 Grados) is because it's lively presentation makes me smile, but the PS500e lacks it. Maybe I need to tried it on a dedicated sourse and amp and see if it can improve.
Overall, I am glad to see/hear the cohesion sound of the headphones.

I am a Grado Rookie (30 year break from my SR60, 80, 125 originals, which I foolishly sold for scratch), so a huge boulder of salt......after listening too my 500e with the iDSD Nano and Lr 2/Über Bifrost, I cannot listen to it straight out of my iPhone or MacBook. It is too thin in the mids, and the soundstage is a bit flat. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #3,214 of 6,729
@zuqi

Fair enough. I can understand ur point now
smily_headphones1.gif
the gr10, imo, they dont really have that Grado airyness and less open compared to a grado cans. And these flaws that make me canceled my buying that time bcos i was expecting for an iem that close to grado signature cans.

Again, as for the ps500e..i could not agree more with your description. I think we have a same impression on ps500e. All u said about ps500e mirrors to what i feel about it. And so does what the reason that make u coming back to grado...is what the exact same reason for me too.

Cheers
wink.gif

I do agree that due to the GR10 lacks treble and bass extention, it sounds less airy than full size Grados, when change the GR10 to PS500e, the sound open up a whole new level. But I could live with the flaw as I appriciate the strength of it more
biggrin.gif
. That's just down to personal taste, but I'm sure we have similar impression.

I am a Grado Rookie (30 year break from my SR60, 80, 125 originals, which I foolishly sold for scratch), so a huge boulder of salt......after listening too my 500e with the iDSD Nano and Lr 2/Über Bifrost, I cannot listen to it straight out of my iPhone or MacBook. It is too thin in the mids, and the soundstage is a bit flat. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your info, I will get a decent source and amp for the headphones in the near future.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #3,215 of 6,729
From reading through the thread, it seems the RS1e has shelved treble but more forward mids- not just mids in general but more specifically upper mids.  So as some have noted, it's lost the sparkle and shimmer because of the rolled off treble but at the same time can be more shouty and peaky (depending on the song) because of increase mid mids and upper mids.

I was hoping for forward lower and mid mids and less upper mids and treble.  Too bad. 
confused.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #3,216 of 6,729

+1 ... especially the GS1Ke

I can't listen to anything but my GS1000e now for 3 weeks. I love em.  The LCD2s are in the box.  I'm sure they will come back out at some point.  I just don't remember my GS1000is having this kind of dynamic presentation though it's been awhile and my amp is different.  The Bryston BHA-1 is really too powerful for the GS1000e.  I can only get about 1/4 or less range on the volume pot on Low gain. But it sounds so good!    

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,217 of 6,729
  I can't listen to anything but my GS1000e now for 3 weeks. I love em.  The LCD2s are in the box.  I'm sure they will come back out at some point.  I just don't remember my GS1000is having this kind of dynamic presentation though it's been awhile and my amp is different.  The Bryston BHA-1 is really too powerful for the GS1000e.  I can only get about 1/4 or less range on the volume pot on Low gain. But it sounds so good!    

I was able to audition a GS1000e on my NAD D 1050 (DAC/amp) for me, it was some of the best sound I heard at the meet and I can't shake the feeling that they should be my next set of cans for detailed playback.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #3,218 of 6,729
Don't forget the 325e. I have both, 500e and 325e. Personally, i prefer 325e. And if i would rank my grado collection..that would be ps1ke > gs1ke > 325e/ms2e > 500e. Technically speaking, 500e might wins very little (barely spotted) to 325e or ms2e. But in delivering performance, i prefer 325e/ms2e than 500e. My personal opinion only. Cheers.

Wow, I have the PS500e coming. They were supposed to be here today, but I guess it's going to be Monday. Now I'm worried about the mids. I've been researching HP for weeks and felt the 500s would be better than the 325s because they cost more. I can't afford the PS1000 or GS1000.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3,219 of 6,729
Wow, I have the PS500e coming. They were supposed to be here today, but I guess it's going to be Monday. Now I'm worried about the mids. I've been researching HP for weeks and felt the 500s would be better than the 325s because they cost more. I can't afford the PS1000 or GS1000.

Just because one HP cost more than the other doesn't mean anything IME.
Its the sound that comes first, even if it costs less, doesn't matter. My RS1i/PS1K's give me 2 different sounds…and I like both of them equally even though the PS's retail for much, much more. Tried the LCD-X, and wouldn't pay $100.00 for them, because they weren't for me. Tried the GSi/e and didn't like either. Paid $100.00 for my 80i's, and if the price would have been higher, I would have paid it! Congratulations on the PS-500e's, and hope you enjoy them, I know a lot of people do.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3,220 of 6,729

Don't let our comments spoil your experiences. All the Grados I have used are great (whether or not they're to my liking is another matter), so just wait till you receive the pair and enjoy them. The PS500e is in no way a bad choice, surely its mids can be said to be worse than the 325e (which has the best mids in Grado's entire line IMO) but it's still great indeed. So don't hang your head over one or two comments (everyone has their own impression) and dictates the quality of the cans before you listen to them closely.

Sure it can still be the case that you hate them, but... 

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #3,221 of 6,729
Its the sound that comes first, even if it costs less, doesn't matter. My RS1i/PS1K's give me 2 different sounds…and I like both of them equally even though the PS's retail for much, much more. Tried the LCD-X, and wouldn't pay $100.00 for them, because they weren't for me. Tried the GSi/e and didn't like either. Paid $100.00 for my 80i's, and if the price would have been higher, I would have paid it! Congratulations on the PS-500e's, and hope you enjoy them, I know a lot of people do.

Thanks for making me feel better Joseph. Guess I'm on info overload. I'm ready to get lost in the music. When I came to this board a few weeks ago, I had no idea what a Dac or Dap was, Everyone has been very helpful and I'm grateful for your advice.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,222 of 6,729
  Don't let our comments spoil your experiences. All the Grados I have used are great (whether or not they're to my liking is another matter), so just wait till you receive the pair and enjoy them. The PS500e is in no way a bad choice, surely its mids can be said to be worse than the 325e (which has the best mids in Grado's entire line IMO) but it's still great indeed. So don't hang your head over one or two comments (everyone has their own impression) and dictates the quality of the cans before you listen to them closely.

Sure it can still be the case that you hate them, but... 

In my case 325is…quite possibly, yes.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3,223 of 6,729
hello head-fiers, would like to ask you for your help/comment.
I could get PS500 "NOS" for €499,--. The new PS500e would be a €629,--.
Are the €130 worth to invest and to go with the PS500e?
(€499,-- is already very hard for me to spend)
Many thanks!

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,224 of 6,729
  hello head-fiers, would like to ask you for your help/comment.
I could get PS500 "NOS" for €499,--. The new PS500e would be a €629,--.
Are the €130 worth to invest and to go with the PS500e?
(€499,-- is already very hard for me to spend)
Many thanks!

Hi @waxdoctor, I was just in Vienna with my Family for Christmas, beautiful!

I have the e and absolutely love it, from the comments of others, I believe the bass is superior and it is more neutral in its presentation versus the original. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3,225 of 6,729

I agree, but as I've said before, only when you get to about the $500-$600 price point. Bellow that price point, compromises that can affect performance have to be maid. Connection, cable material, earcup material, are some of the areas where manufaturers in general, Grado in particular, have to cut down on, to meet a competitive target price.

That being said, this is especially true within a manufacturer's lineup. Wich means that, someone could prefer a pair of $400 SR325, to a pair of $1600 LCD-X, for exemple. Don't quote me on those prices, they're just ballpark figures.

I know that we both agree on the SR80i's awesome price-performance ratio, but I think that the SR80e, has an even better one. It's no secret that I love my Bushmills, and I think that they too, have a very good price-performance ratio. After swapping their comfies for L-cush, I've compared them both, and aside from the Bushmills having a slightly smoother sound, they sound very similar to one another.

My take on the e serie so far, is that the SR models seem to be an upgrade over the i serie. However, when it comes to the RS, GS, and PS models, I think that, upgrade, sidegrade, downgrade all apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back