Grado e Series
Nov 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #2,536 of 6,729
  That horse still had some life in it. 
tongue_smile.gif

Before, the conclusion seemed to be that the pads were the same and the drivers were making the bowl seem shallower.  The pads actually being different is news to me, especially since it means the problems the RS1e has could easily be fixed with new pads. 

Those are definitely what my red RS1i drivers look like...  They have that "pupil" in the center of the driver.
I'd be interested in trying this, but $45 is steep and I'm still concerned about losing bass.  In my opinion, the bass is the one thing the RS1e absolutely gets right, it's much better than the RS1i.   Can you go into more detail about how the treble/general frequency balance and soundstaging are impacted? 

From what i noticed, comfort is much better, the soundstage becomes quite large and the bass impact drops off a little. The biggest change is in the mids, they become somewhat recessed and you no longer get that beautiful Grado midrange. They dont sound bad but for me it took away the intimacy and the magic in the midrange that makes grados unique.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #2,537 of 6,729
From what i noticed, comfort is much better, the soundstage becomes quite large and the bass impact drops off a little. The biggest change is in the mids, they become somewhat recessed and you no longer get that beautiful Grado midrange. They dont sound bad but for me it took away the intimacy and the magic in the midrange that makes grados unique.
If you get the volume louder, the mids are still recessed compared to bass and treble?

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2,540 of 6,729
tongue_smile.gif

Before, the conclusion seemed to be that the pads were the same and the drivers were making the bowl seem shallower.  The pads actually being different is news to me, especially since it means the problems the RS1e has could easily be fixed with new pads. 

Those are definitely what my red RS1i drivers look like...  They have that "pupil" in the center of the driver.
I'd be interested in trying this, but $45 is steep and I'm still concerned about losing bass.  In my opinion, the bass is the one thing the RS1e absolutely gets right, it's much better than the RS1i.   Can you go into more detail about how the treble/general frequency balance and soundstaging are impacted? 

IMO, the RS1e w/G-cush has wider and deeper soundstage and more balanced in it's sound. the mids will be recessed, but it won't be an issue since the RS1e has a very forwarded mid, and you will have more RS1i like treble. Bass will be loss a bit on quantity but not in quality.

You pay $45 but you will have a second pair of headphones, with different sound signature. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #2,541 of 6,729
How do the Grados sound on the Schiit stuff?  I am strongly considering GS1K's and there is great value in the Schiit brand.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,542 of 6,729
tongue_smile.gif

IMO, the RS1e w/G-cush has wider and deeper soundstage and more balanced in it's sound. the mids will be recessed, but it won't be an issue since the RS1e has a very forwarded mid, and you will have more RS1i like treble. Bass will be loss a bit on quantity but not in quality.

You pay $45 but you will have a second pair of headphones, with different sound signature. 

From what I heard, the PS500 with G-Cush does not sound great. However the MS2i's I have sound super great with the G-Cush! The sound is a bit more flat, the bass is still there, and really round, but not dominating over the other frequencies.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,543 of 6,729
From what I heard, the PS500 with G-Cush does not sound great. However the MS2i's I have sound super great with the G-Cush! The sound is a bit more flat, the bass is still there, and really round, but not dominating over the other frequencies.

i think the 500 sounds its best with the g-cush, that was about the only way i listened to it

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,545 of 6,729
If I can find a good deal over the holidays I would like to get a new RS1e with G-cush pads.  That's my goal unless some hard to pass up deals appear for a used GS1K or RS1i.  Is $500 for a used RS1i a good deal?  There was a $600 GS1000 for sale but I waited too long and missed it.   

Quote:

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2,547 of 6,729
IMO.....$500 is fair for a nice pair of RS1i and $600 is a steal for the GS1000

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,548 of 6,729
$600 for GS1000 is perfect, but I find $500 for a RS1i is a bit too high. Unless if they're likenew, of course. Back in Vietnam I could find some used RS1i for roughly $400. I bought my RS1i (used) from Singapore for about 487 USD and they're so new that I feel the previous owner had not even broken it in yet.

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,550 of 6,729

Yeh i never liked the ps500s with the g-cush, it took too much of the midrange away which is what i like about the Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back