Grado e Series
Nov 15, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,431 of 6,729
Well, I'm glad to see it's not just me. 

I upgraded my 225 to the 225e and was totally happy with the improvement- the same basic sound, but better in every way.  It was exactly what an upgrade should be.

I thought I'd see the same results going from the RS1i to RS1e, but it's much more of an experimental new sound than an upgrade to the old one.  I don't want to say the e is a step backward, but Grado really should have made the current RS1e into a new model instead of displacing their most classic headphone. 

The source seems to matter a lot, though.  Listening to my all tube and vinyl system, I wasn't pleased with the darkness of the RS1e at all, but when I listen to digital music on PC it sounds much more listenable. 

What turntable + cartridge are you using? Also, check your VTA, that might affect it.

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,432 of 6,729
What turntable + cartridge are you using? Also, check your VTA, that might affect it.

I've got an MMF-5 (from 2005, not the newer version) with the stock Goldring cartridge that came with it.  The VTA and azimuth are all still correct.  I run that into a Bottlehead Eros phono amp and then into a Mapletree Ear+ HD.  This setup sounded perfect with the RS1i. 

Replace the RS1e's L-Cushs with G-Cushs, that not only makes them more comfortable, the sound-stage and SQ will be improved too. 

Yes, but then won't the bass lose all impact?  I like what I hear if I pull the earcups away from my head just slightly.  It sounds as if the treble opens back up a little bit to sound more like the RS1i.  Any more than that and the sound gets very thin and weak, though. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,433 of 6,729
  Yes, but then won't the bass lose all impact?  I like what I hear if I pull the earcups away from my head just slightly.  It sounds as if the treble opens back up a little bit to sound more like the RS1i.  Any more than that and the sound gets very thin and weak, though. 

IMO:

- With Ear Zonk G-Cush, the bass has even more impact.

- With the original Grado G-Cush, the bass lose a bit on quantity but not quality. it's more balanced in it's sound and it's the better all rounder.

I like the RS1e with all three L-Cush, Ear Zonk G-Cush, and Grado G-Cush, depends to what music I listen to.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,435 of 6,729
I was looking into getting the RS1e but comfort seems to be an issue from what i'm reading, has anyone had the chance to wear the RS2e? How does it compare for comfort?
My RS1i is extremely comfortable. In fact I'm wondering what the fuss is about Grado comfort. I'm thinking the discomfort would be an issue of you have the kind of ears that's on the smaller side and your auricle is somewhat more protruded and quite hard. I just lay the foam (L-Cushion) flat on the outer ear (auricle) and earlobe and they're very comfortable. More comfort is as simple as getting the S-Cushions and G-Cushions, which would affect the sound of course.

P.S.: I have ears on the larger side though.
P.S.: Just to be clear...I'm not an elve...:D

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,436 of 6,729
My RS1i is extremely comfortable. In fact I'm wondering what the fuss is about Grado comfort. I'm thinking the discomfort would be an issue of you have the kind of ears that's on the smaller side and your auricle is somewhat more protruded and quite hard. I just lay the foam (L-Cushion) flat on the outer ear (auricle) and earlobe and they're very comfortable. More comfort is as simple as getting the S-Cushions and G-Cushions, which would affect the sound of course.

P.S.: I have ears on the larger side though.
P.S.: Just to be clear...I'm not an elve...
biggrin.gif

Yeh I used to own the RS1i and i found it quite comfortable on my largish ears. The shallower earcups on the RS1e has me concerned enough to consider passing on it and opting for the cheaper RS2e if it is more comfortable.

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,437 of 6,729
Hey all !  So I'm not really in a mood to read the 163 pages on this post.. so Is it worth it, and is it possible to listen to it in the subway ?  (I don't mind that much that others hear my Jazz, but would I be extremely bothered by the outside noise, (as much as I can be with my Apple Earbuds ?))

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,438 of 6,729
  Hey all !  So I'm not really in a mood to read the 163 pages on this post.. so Is it worth it, and is it possible to listen to it in the subway ?  (I don't mind that much that others hear my Jazz, but would I be extremely bothered by the outside noise, (as much as I can be with my Apple Earbuds ?))

If by 'it' you mean Grados, they are not ideal in public settings, as you will hear outside sounds unless you turn them way up. In that case, you're sharing more than you should with your neighbors.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,439 of 6,729
Wearing Grado headphones in Manhattan is a good thing because you can also hear enough of your surroundings where you won't be startled by the unseen obstacles like people, cabs, and muggers, which makes it a little safer. Just ask John Mayer. I thought for sure somebody would be me in posting this pic. And besides some people have their Apple earbuds blasting so loud you can sing along with Rihanna from ten feet away. Or, you could go the other way and wear closed cans. Bose Noise Cancelling hp's work well in the subway.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,440 of 6,729

Yeh i wouldn't try wearing Grados in the subway, they would do nothing to block outside noises which would ruin the sound quality too much imo. Plus everyone around you will be able to hear when you're rocking out to miley cyrus :D. Get the Grados for home use i reckon and grab yourself a portable closed back for subway use. Personally i recommend the Martin Logan Mikros 90, they are amazing for the price they sell for on amazon and they isolate quite good too, the only issue maybge comfort as they clamp.quite tightly out of the box.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,441 of 6,729
Wearing Grado headphones in Manhattan is a good thing because you can also hear enough of your surroundings where you won't be startled by the unseen obstacles like people, cabs, and muggers, which makes it a little safer. Just ask John Mayer. I thought for sure somebody would be me in posting this pic. And besides some people have their Apple earbuds blasting so loud you can sing along with Rihanna from ten feet away. Or, you could go the other way and wear closed cans. Bose Noise Cancelling hp's work well in the subway.

Yes you'd be able to hear the muggers but i would imagine the chance of being mugged would be much higher strolling around with $700 headphones on. At least they're light so they won't weigh you down when your trying to outrun them lol :D

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2,444 of 6,729
Wearing Grado headphones in Manhattan is a good thing because you can also hear enough of your surroundings where you won't be startled by the unseen obstacles like people, cabs, and muggers, which makes it a little safer. Just ask John Mayer.
 I thought for sure somebody would be me in posting this pic. And besides some people have their Apple earbuds blasting so loud you can sing along with Rihanna from ten feet away. Or, you could go the other way and wear closed cans. Bose Noise Cancelling hp's work well in the subway.

Same thing I've been saying to people. It's extremely dangerous to wear noise-cancelling cans walking or biking. However I can't really enjoy my iGrado on buses... The sound of the engine is much too prevalent. On trains it's another story though.

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #2,445 of 6,729
Thanks for the replies !  Ok then... let me restrain my quesion : 

Can I use the Grados when I'm walking on a street where I pass by a person every 8 seconds on average, and the overall street noise level is really pretty low !  (because that's the street I walk by every day)

And : is the leakage much worse than the Koss PortaPro ?  Because I know my sister has always use them everywhere: on the streets, the bus... etc. and she never told me about leakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back