Grado e Series
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #2,401 of 6,729
Hi there, stacker. Flats=TTVJ flats, comfies=S-Cushions?

As I've posted a while back, my SR80e is PERFECT with my L-Cushions. With S-Cushions its a bit "shouty" and with more grain, but with L-Cushions, it's perfect. No more shouty, just right; less grain and more smoothness. And the bass, the lower bass came more alive. The overall balance is perfect. Couldn't ask for more. It's now promoted to my home rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Correct diamondears, and in the future, I'll try to remember to be more specific regarding the different ear pads. 

And by the way, I haven't tryed the L-cush, (large), with the SR80e, yet.

I do however have the L-cush on my Bushmills X, I still don't understand why Grado chose to go with the S-cush, (comfies) on them.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #2,402 of 6,729
Thanks Joeseph, and I forgot to mention, that, for ease of use during the comparison, I didn't use my headphone amps. I hooked up both, SR80i, and e, to my home theater reciever, a Yamaha RX-V2200. Now, before I go to bed, I'm going to try my new SR80i with my old Grado HPA-2, using it's battery circuit. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #2,403 of 6,729
  I had the opportunity to try the RS1e and the RS2e today and let me tell you right off the bat that I'm very disappointed by the sound quality of the RS1e.

I don't know why the hell they did that but the new RS1e sounds totally different versus the previous versions that I have heard or owned in the past.

They are now dark and boring for hard-rock and heavy-metal music, and yes unfortunately I'm not joking...

I still can't believe what I heard today, imagine the RS1 trying to sound like a bad version of the LCD-2 and you get the RS1e.  I really think that they went overboard with the treble roll-off, they are now dark with no sparkle.

On a more positive note, the new RS2e are very good and MUCH better than the RS1e with hard-rock and metal music.  And thank god they still sound like the classic Grado headphones!

Is true that the RS2e more sound like the RS1i than the RS2i?

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,404 of 6,729
I think there is no clear answer for that as we all hear different, second, with what other hear you listen in combination and probably the most important the recorded quality of your music, a worthy alternative could be the Philips Fidelio L2 which sounds very close to my Grado GR10 and is also exellent for vocals.

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #2,405 of 6,729
I think there is no clear answer for that as we all hear different, second, with what other hear you listen in combination and probably the most important the recorded quality of your music, a worthy alternative could be the Philips Fidelio L2 which sounds very close to my Grado GR10 and is also exellent for vocals.

Have you compared the RS2e to the RS1i ? 

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #2,407 of 6,729
No, but i did audit the RS2e and liked it on its own merits but in Germany this one comes at 499 Euro and the Fidelio L2 at 279 Euro for similiar sound signature. The latter not is not locally handmaded but unfortunately i have a restricted budget.

Sorry but I don't think the Fidelio L2 sounds like any Grado headphone, they're great for their price though. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2,408 of 6,729
Wasn't really the point. I listened to enough models, and ATH M40x are neutral according to a graph (and I bet you like graphs). SR80e are just like M40x, with with better controlled bass and warmer sound. When I say SR80e are neutral, I mean I own them and I know what I'm talking about.

I don't need a graph to tell me that my sr80i (I won't paint all the grados with the same brush here) has a steep bass roll off, i.e "controlled".

I own the sr80i and I know what I'm talking about as well. I don't know what edm you listen to but I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

Edit: Final post on this. Sorry for the derail guys.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,409 of 6,729
Correct diamondears, and in the future, I'll try to remember to be more specific regarding the different ear pads. 

And by the way, I haven't tryed the L-cush, (large), with the SR80e, yet.

I do however have the L-cush on my Bushmills X, I still don't understand why Grado chose to go with the S-cush, (comfies) on them.
IYE, what's the effect of S-Cushions, L-Cushions and the TTVJ Flats?

I thought S-Cushions would have the effect of added bass and less treble vs L-Cushions, but I think that refers to the TTVJ Flats but I thought posters saying flats meant S-Cushions.

The TTVJ Flats and L-Cushions adds bass and lessens treble for you too?

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,410 of 6,729

From all the versions that I have heard so far in the new 'E' serie, I truly think that the RS2e should be considered as the direct replacement of the RS1i.  The RS1e has a totally different sound signature and I'm 99% sure that the true fans of the RS1i will hate the RS1e.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,411 of 6,729
I was just listening to Don't Fear the Reaper: Best of Blue Oyster Cult on my new RS2e. This album, and many others from that period, don't sound very good on a lot of modern headphones, but the RS2e sounds like it was designed for this album and others like it. Vocals have good presence and everything else seems perfectly balanced with the vocals, even the bass. So, it looks like the Grado stereotype is true for the RS2e, at least.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,412 of 6,729
I don't need a graph to tell me that my sr80i (I won't paint all the grados with the same brush here) has a steep bass roll off, i.e "controlled".

I own the sr80i and I know what I'm talking about as well. I don't know what edm you listen to but I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

Edit: Final post on this. Sorry for the derail guys.

Nope, this is the final post.

i ≠ e

e > i

e is neutral, i is not.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #2,413 of 6,729
  I was just listening to Don't Fear the Reaper: Best of Blue Oyster Cult on my new RS2e. This album, and many others from that period, don't sound very good on a lot of modern headphones, but the RS2e sounds like it was designed for this album and others like it. Vocals have good presence and everything else seems perfectly balanced with the vocals, even the bass. So, it looks like the Grado stereotype is true for the RS2e, at least.

Great album
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,414 of 6,729
I've been listening to new SR225e's for about 2 weeks.  I'm used to Senn HD598s so it's quite a bit different.  What I am finding is that I'm getting ear aches which is obviously a problem.  I've been using a couple of different small amps (Modi/Magni and microStreamer) but am now testing them running straight out of my iPad, without external amplification. I hope that will help. Or maybe they are just too energetic for me. Or maybe I'm too old or too used to those laid back Senns.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,415 of 6,729
  I've been listening to new SR225e's for about 2 weeks.  I'm used to Senn HD598s so it's quite a bit different.  What I am finding is that I'm getting ear aches which is obviously a problem.  I've been using a couple of different small amps (Modi/Magni and microStreamer) but am now testing them running straight out of my iPad, without external amplification. I hope that will help. Or maybe they are just too energetic for me. Or maybe I'm too old or too used to those laid back Senns.

With the Grados headphones it's very important to not crank the volume too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back