Grado e Series
Nov 8, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #2,326 of 6,729
  I've now heard the RS1e, 225e and own the PS1000e, I think generally they have less of a mid-bass hump and less bright treble...both a good thing IMO that makes them sound more natural. But make no mistake about it, they still sound like Grado headphones!

Hello MacedonianHero and/or any other Grado expert that has listened or owns the PS1000e, I like to kindly request some advice from you. I juts got myself my first Grado HP, the PS500e. I have had the PS500e for just 1 week and I am enamored of it. I enjoy it so much (and it is still breaking in) that I was thinking that maybe I should go back to the dealer and consider to exchange it for the PS1000e and go all the way to the top. I noticed that you have the PS1000e, and I wonder if you could advise of the differences between the headphones. How do you like the PS1000e? Do you recommend it to anyone who likes the Grado sound? Is it a large improvement over the mid-grade Grados like the PS500e?

I listen to all types of music but a lot of modern recordings, including rock, punk, indie, electronica, and the only thing I would not like is a HP that has too strong high frequencies that can make voices to sound sibilant on non-perfect recordings (i.e. many modern records)  ... do you advice me to run and get the PS1000e or just be content with my new PS500e?

Thank you.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #2,327 of 6,729
Hi all, wondering if i could have some advice,

I own a burson conductor sl 1970 amp/dac
with
audeze lcd-x

I love my audeze, and i mainly use them to watch movies, more so than music.
Ive been contemplating buying the grado ps1000e, or gs1000e to use as a primary headphone for watching movies.
As much as I love the lcd-X, they do get quite uncomfortable after long periods of time.
I get the impression the gs1000e is more comfortable than the ps100e?

May i ask for some opinions on the ps1000e and gs1000e for watching movies, and also how well they would pair with the burson conductor sl 1970

Many thanks

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #2,328 of 6,729
hi all...

im checking out little dot I+ reviews atm... i have around +/- $150 to spend for an amp. buying it from ebay will cost me another 45%-ish on import tax. so before buying i'd really like to know other members experiences with the amp.

my headphone is sr80e... what kinds of improvements will i get from the LD I+...?

btw, im new to audio speak... i've read this http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary but it's a little confusing here and there to be honest.
i'd like to ask specifically about resolution. other than sr80e, i also had shure 940 before it broke. i felt the shure940 has more details than my sr80e.

is that what in audio-speak by "resolution"? because i couldnt grasp the sound glossary explanation of resolution..

will getting LD 1+ nets me more details and clarity (resolution?) than straight PC + fiio e10k...?
aslo... does LD 1+ includes mini to RCA cables in the package?

cheersss

i posted the exact same thing on sr80i thread... (meant to post here initially to be honest...)

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #2,330 of 6,729
Nov 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,331 of 6,729
Can you afford this? ------------
                                          |
                                          |
                                          |
                                         V

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,333 of 6,729

Hello MacedonianHero and/or any other Grado expert that has listened or owns the PS1000e, I like to kindly request some advice from you. I juts got myself my first Grado HP, the PS500e. I have had the PS500e for just 1 week and I am enamored of it. I enjoy it so much (and it is still breaking in) that I was thinking that maybe I should go back to the dealer and consider to exchange it for the PS1000e and go all the way to the top. I noticed that you have the PS1000e, and I wonder if you could advise of the differences between the headphones. How do you like the PS1000e? Do you recommend it to anyone who likes the Grado sound? Is it a large improvement over the mid-grade Grados like the PS500e?

I listen to all types of music but a lot of modern recordings, including rock, punk, indie, electronica, and the only thing I would not like is a HP that has too strong high frequencies that can make voices to sound sibilant on non-perfect recordings (i.e. many modern records)  ... do you advice me to run and get the PS1000e or just be content with my new PS500e?

Thank you.

Glad you're really enjoying your PS500e's. 

The advantages with the PS1000e is a considerably wider sound stage with better treble and bass extension. Both are top flight headphones and while I've owned the PS500s and really enjoyed them, I'm really glad to have the PS1000e. But that's with my ears/rig. I strongly suggest you hear the PS1000e's first to decide if the extra $ is worth it for you.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,335 of 6,729
  Glad you're really enjoying your PS500e's. 

The advantages with the PS1000e is a considerably wider sound stage with better treble and bass extension. Both are top flight headphones and while I've owned the PS500s and really enjoyed them, I'm really glad to have the PS1000e. But that's with my ears/rig. I strongly suggest you hear the PS1000e's first to decide if the extra $ is worth it for you.

Thank you very much for the advice. Today I did a A/B check between the PS1000e and the PS500e. Both sound fantastic, very similar in tonality, the key difference being the broader and more distant soundstage of the PS1000e vs the PS500e. At the end I decided to keep the PS500e because I love the "immediacy" of the sound of this headphone, I actually like more to feel that I am immersed with the band rather than I am watching the performance from the audience. So the PS500e is more immediate and direct, and decided to keep it. But I have to say that the PS1000e is a cray fantastic headphone. Both are amazing headphones. Thank you again.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #2,336 of 6,729
  How would SR80e sound with TTVJ flats? Currently using them with stock pads, not sure whether I want to do the quarter mod or buy the flats. 

Haven't heard the 80e, but I've tried all 3 types of cushions you mentioned on my 80i's, and definitely prefer the (L) cushions.
Which ever suits the sound you like best. The quarter mod isn't bad, it gives the overall sound more clarity/detail, but still sound like the (S) cushion (unveiled).
TTVJ flat pads give you more bass and less treble with a narrower sound-stage, which in turn gives a stronger focused mid-range  presence.
The (L) cushions give the widest sound-stage, most clarity/detail/instrument separation/cleaner quality bass, but not as much bass as the TTVJ flat pads, but I like the quality of the bass better with the (L) cushions.
Of course these are my experiences with these pads, you may feel differently.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,337 of 6,729
Hello,
I have the Grado Sr-325e, PS500e, and two GS1000e headphones.  I thought I'd take a moment to give some impressions.

SR325e - very similar sounding to the PS500e - the 325e is an exceptional value when considering how much more the PS500e costs.  That said, the PS500e has a slightly better sound to my ears. The sounds are a bit more vivid, the bass is a touch more plentiful, and the overall sound is a little warmer than the 325e.  I should mention, the PS500e improves over time and was not great out of the box.  I should also mention I find the 325e significantly better than the 325i, which is too bright and recessed in the mods/vocals for my liking.  I have not used the 325e long enough to know if it will benefit from burn-in.  The size of the soundstage is very similar in both the 325e and the PS500e.  I have the luxury of owning both, but I would not hesitate to recommend the 325e to those who may not be able to afford the PS500e.  The 325e is literally 95% as good in my opinion.  I would say the Grado 325e and PS500e are slightly bright but the PS500e is closest to neutral of the Grados I have heard.  If I could characterize the P500e, I'd say it's almost hyper-real - like a painting that uses very bold colors; also to continue the painting analogy, the soundstage is dense but reminds me of a 4:3 ratio.

The GS1000e - you note that I have two.  The first unit I purchased really lacks bass, punch, and impact.  The midrange is very grand - larger than life.  But here's what I find interesting. I wanted to see if the lack of bass was specific to my unit or the same as others so I purchased a second unit.  The second unit has slightly more impact and slightly better bass, but not substantially different.  Where there is a slight but clearly perceptible and beneficial difference is the upper mids.  The first unit has brighter (strident) upper midrange where the second unit (which happens to have a different look by the way) has a more neutral and balanced sound.  The upper mids are not strident and in the scheme of things, though both GS1000e units sound similar overall, the second unit is clearly better, at least to my ears.  Also, where the soundstage of the PS500e is like a 4:3 ratio picture, the soundstage of the GS1000e is more like a 16:9 ratio - very wide.  The midrange is better than the PS500e and 325e and one of the best in my mind.  BUT,  I would take the PS500e over the GS1000e if I had to choose, price not being a consideration.  The mids of the PS500e are excellent, but not quite as good as the grand GS1000e, but the overall sound of the PS500e is a bit more crisp and the bass and impact is much more present.  Of course, I cannot ignore the fact that there maybe significant variations in sound from unit to unit.

One thing I'll close with.  I have many flagship headphones, and I never thought I would feel this way, but I would take the PS500e and the GS1000e over most if not all of them.  The bass on the Grado may not goes as deep as others, and some headphones may have even more impact, but the clarity of the Grado is signficantly better than most headphones, and to me, that's extremely important.  I think, in part this is due to the brightness of the Grado; it may also be due to the fact that the Grado doesn't over-emphasize the lower midrange, which I feel many high-end headphones do at the expense of clarity.

Sorry for the lack of structure, but just thought I'd offer my insights for those interested in knowing how different Grado models compare.  Oh, one more thing.  The GS1000e sounds nothing like the GS1000i that I heard.  The I had a "V" shape frequency response - recessed mids but very strong midbass, where the GS1000e seems to be slightly midrange-centric.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,338 of 6,729
Thank you very much for the advice. Today I did a A/B check between the PS1000e and the PS500e. Both sound fantastic, very similar in tonality, the key difference being the broader and more distant soundstage of the PS1000e vs the PS500e. At the end I decided to keep the PS500e because I love the "immediacy" of the sound of this headphone, I actually like more to feel that I am immersed with the band rather than I am watching the performance from the audience. So the PS500e is more immediate and direct, and decided to keep it. But I have to say that the PS1000e is a cray fantastic headphone. Both are amazing headphones. Thank you again.

You might consider trying the G-Cush pads on the PS-500... It will broaden the soundstage somewhat. I prefer the stock L-Cush, but once in a while it is a nice change of pace. Since the pads are so easy to change, it's always fun to hear the differences.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,339 of 6,729
I think that the PS1000 has more treble extension, than the PS500, wich have a somewhat rolled off treble response.

I agree with your suggestion about the G-cush on the PS500. I owned the PS500, and I never thought of trying the G-cush on them, but I guess they would sound closer to the PS1000.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,340 of 6,729
Hello,
I have the Grado Sr-325e, PS500e, and two GS1000e headphones.  I thought I'd take a moment to give some impressions.

SR325e - very similar sounding to the PS500e - the 325e is an exceptional value when considering how much more the PS500e costs.  That said, the PS500e has a slightly better sound to my ears. The sounds are a bit more vivid, the bass is a touch more plentiful, and the overall sound is a little warmer than the 325e.  I should mention, the PS500e improves over time and was not great out of the box.  I should also mention I find the 325e significantly better than the 325i, which is too bright and recessed in the mods/vocals for my liking.  I have not used the 325e long enough to know if it will benefit from burn-in.  The size of the soundstage is very similar in both the 325e and the PS500e.  I have the luxury of owning both, but I would not hesitate to recommend the 325e to those who may not be able to afford the PS500e.  The 325e is literally 95% as good in my opinion.  I would say the Grado 325e and PS500e are slightly bright but the PS500e is closest to neutral of the Grados I have heard.  If I could characterize the P500e, I'd say it's almost hyper-real - like a painting that uses very bold colors; also to continue the painting analogy, the soundstage is dense but reminds me of a 4:3 ratio.

The GS1000e - you note that I have two.  The first unit I purchased really lacks bass, punch, and impact.  The midrange is very grand - larger than life.  But here's what I find interesting. I wanted to see if the lack of bass was specific to my unit or the same as others so I purchased a second unit.  The second unit has slightly more impact and slightly better bass, but not substantially different.  Where there is a slight but clearly perceptible and beneficial difference is the upper mids.  The first unit has brighter (strident) upper midrange where the second unit (which happens to have a different look by the way) has a more neutral and balanced sound.  The upper mids are not strident and in the scheme of things, though both GS1000e units sound similar overall, the second unit is clearly better, at least to my ears.  Also, where the soundstage of the PS500e is like a 4:3 ratio picture, the soundstage of the GS1000e is more like a 16:9 ratio - very wide.  The midrange is better than the PS500e and 325e and one of the best in my mind.  BUT,  I would take the PS500e over the GS1000e if I had to choose, price not being a consideration.  The mids of the PS500e are excellent, but not quite as good as the grand GS1000e, but the overall sound of the PS500e is a bit more crisp and the bass and impact is much more present.  Of course, I cannot ignore the fact that there maybe significant variations in sound from unit to unit.

One thing I'll close with.  I have many flagship headphones, and I never thought I would feel this way, but I would take the PS500e and the GS1000e over most if not all of them.  The bass on the Grado may not goes as deep as others, and some headphones may have even more impact, but the clarity of the Grado is signficantly better than most headphones, and to me, that's extremely important.  I think, in part this is due to the brightness of the Grado; it may also be due to the fact that the Grado doesn't over-emphasize the lower midrange, which I feel many high-end headphones do at the expense of clarity.

Sorry for the lack of structure, but just thought I'd offer my insights for those interested in knowing how different Grado models compare.  Oh, one more thing.  The GS1000e sounds nothing like the GS1000i that I heard.  The I had a "V" shape frequency response - recessed mids but very strong midbass, where the GS1000e seems to be slightly midrange-centric.

Did you have the opportunity to compare the PS500e with the PS500 previous version? Can you give us your impressions if any?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back