Grado e Series
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2,311 of 6,729
@maltronics I think it's an unfair comparison: open/closed and they don't sound that bad. The cable is detachable and the gold plated is merely to avoid oxidation (nickel plated conduct actually better than gold plated) Grado sound is unmatchable

Yes of course, you are right about that squallkiercosa. And no, they didn't sound bad at all. Just not nearly as open and detailed as the 125e
but then that's what open-backed cans care all about: open-sound, detail, air. At least Grado's anyway, right?

Cheers!

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,312 of 6,729

I had wondered about that, the 'e' series having more forward mids, as I've read the opposite. Somewhere in one of the threads recently, it was stated that the RS1e is actually a bit darker than the 1i.

Both are true. 

The upper mids are much more pronounced on the RS1e, to the point where they can unpleasantly shriek.  At the same time, the higher treble and transients are rolled off heavily, giving them a darker top end.  So yes, they are at once darker and brighter than the RS1i, depending on the frequency range. 

I personally find it to be an awkward and uncomfortable sound signature that just doesn't work.  I've owned 5 Grados and have felt that each one was a perfectly tuned set of headphones with a well developed character, but the RS1e sounds like it was half finished and never tweaked to completion.

That said, I have found that part of the problem is that the friggin' drivers are pressed into the ears too hard, which does exaggerate the upper mids and reduces the airiness of the treble.  Bending the headband to a looser fit reduces the pressure and eases these problems nicely.

Between bending the band and boosting the earpads off the drivers with hair ties, I feel like I can just enjoy the RS1e.  Out of the box, they were awful. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #2,314 of 6,729
Both are true. 

The upper mids are much more pronounced on the RS1e, to the point where they can unpleasantly shriek.  At the same time, the higher treble and transients are rolled off heavily, giving them a darker top end.  So yes, they are at once darker and brighter than the RS1i, depending on the frequency range. 

I personally find it to be an awkward and uncomfortable sound signature that just doesn't work.  I've owned 5 Grados and have felt that each one was a perfectly tuned set of headphones with a well developed character, but the RS1e sounds like it was half finished and never tweaked to completion.

That said, I have found that part of the problem is that the friggin' drivers are pressed into the ears too hard, which does exaggerate the upper mids and reduces the airiness of the treble.  Bending the headband to a looser fit reduces the pressure and eases these problems nicely.

Between bending the band and boosting the earpads off the drivers with hair ties, I feel like I can just enjoy the RS1e.  Out of the box, they were awful. 
I'm presently using RS1i's and I wanted to know if it was the overall uncomfortableness of the RS1e's or its SQ that's untenable, and which other Grado hp's do you prefer more?

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #2,315 of 6,729
What I want to know is if the more protruded driver is by design. I saw that the cushions on the first Grados (HP1) are very thin, almost flat, but with an opening, so the drivers will touch your ear.

Maybe Grado want to mimic this and get back to this design.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,316 of 6,729
  Both are true. 

I almost have opposite opinion and I do prefer sound signature of the RS1e (a bit) over the RS1i. Never found them more uncomfortable than the RS1i but I love them more with G-Cash (Ear Zonk). 

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2,317 of 6,729
Both are true. 

Did you carefully volume-match the RS1i vs RS1e?

Your comments exactly matches with my initial impressions of my SR80i and SR80e (with equal burn-in time), and the more upper mids is due to the higher sensitivity-volume.

Plus, with the RS1e, the more upper mids is what a more protruded (driver nearer your ear) will do exactly. Hmmmmm...I'm wondering how the RS1e would sound with a G-cushion?

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2,318 of 6,729
Did you carefully volume-match the RS1i vs RS1e?

Your comments exactly matches with my initial impressions of my SR80i and SR80e (with equal burn-in time), and the more upper mids is due to the higher sensitivity-volume.

Plus, with the RS1e, the more upper mids is what a more protruded (driver nearer your ear) will do exactly. Hmmmmm...I'm wondering how the RS1e would sound with a G-cushion?

With the Grado G-Cash sound almost same as GS1000i (I actually like them more than the GS1ki, and never heard GS1ke), but with Ear Zonk G-Cash something between SR1e and GS1000i with more mid-bass (more close to RS1e, and much more comfortable). 

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,320 of 6,729
I've now heard the RS1e, 225e and own the PS1000e, I think generally they have less of a mid-bass hump and less bright treble...both a good thing IMO that makes them sound more natural. But make no mistake about it, they still sound like Grado headphones!

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,321 of 6,729
  I've now heard the RS1e, 225e and own the PS1000e, I think generally they have less of a mid-bass hump and less bright treble...both a good thing IMO that makes them sound more natural. But make no mistake about it, they still sound like Grado headphones!

That's also a good thing!  
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2,323 of 6,729

PS1000e is sounding like a woody headphone, and less analytical :)

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,324 of 6,729
How SR80e were in compare to the SR80i? 

SR80e is louder/more sensitive. As I adjust them at equal db to my ears, I also find it having more on the upper mids and treble, but more lower bass. So it sounds like it has less lower mids and less upper bass to me. It's also more grainy as opposed to the SR80i being bit more smooth or refined.

But the glaring difference for me is the extraction of substantially more detail on the SR80e, I surmise due to the more upper mids and lower treble. However, I think this is perfect for the stock S-cushion (flat cushion). It becomes "grainy-shouty" for me with L-cushions. With S-cushion it's perfect. I actually prefer the SR80e with S-cushions.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,325 of 6,729
Well I guess first thing to do with any Grado headphones is to bend the headband out a bit. Even Grado advised it inside the pizza box, right? Personally I've never found any single pair of low/mid-range Grado's to be comfortable. Too bad they mostly suck with G-Cush (treble become harsh, bass nonexistent).

I'm considering a pair of RS1i and a pair of RS1e, and I don't know which one is more fun. Can any1 give me your 2cent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back