Grado e Series
Nov 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,356 of 6,729

Are your red drivers cups larger than the RS1i's cups or their size are same? 

Same size in all dimensions.  Are the RS1e's supposed to have larger earcups? 
  After noticing that the PS1000e's were compressing my ears, I compared them with my old PS1000, and it was obvious that those two sets of G-cush were shaped diffrently. I e-mailed Grado, and ask if they would keep on producing the old G-cush, and to my surprise they said that they were the same.

Believe it or not, they are the same pads.  The difference in shape is due to the new driver housing on the higher end "e" models, which protrudes into the bowl of the earpad a little.  I confirmed this myself with my RS1i and RS1e. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,357 of 6,729
The cups do appear different on the two GS1000e headphones.  The first was darker in appearance and has a different grain.  I do not know if the wood itself is different, but I did wonder whether that might have to do with the difference in sound I was hearing.

It's interesting to hear that the 325 improves over time.  I kind of like them just the way they are.  I hope they don't improve too much :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,358 of 6,729
So I just ordered the Grado SR80e on an impulse buy and now I'm starting to question it.

I heard that they are good for rock and metal and jazz which is good.

But I listen to wide range of music which includes EDM, rap and pop.

So, are these headphones good for EDM? EDM consists of about 40% of what I listen to.

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #2,360 of 6,729
They only improve for the better, don't worry.
Smoothed out treble and stretched diaphragm for better bass due to proper burn in. Perfect.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #2,362 of 6,729
  Do Grados respond well to amping?

I like everything about them except for the recessed sub-bass.

So if I used the bass boost option on the E70k, would I be able to get a more even response?

I've listened to all the SR series, the RS1 and PS500 and they've all improved in sound when amped, especially when paired with a warm amp like the e07k. You'll get a stronger bass response with the boost but none of the ones i've heard had very good bass extension, even the ps500 which has the most bass out of them all lacks extension. Its just not a particular strength of Grado cans imo.
You could always try modding the pads or getting the ttvj flat pads which can help improve bass.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,363 of 6,729
So I just ordered the Grado SR80e on an impulse buy and now I'm starting to question it.

So, are these headphones good for EDM? EDM consists of about 40% of what I listen to.

Going on a bit of a tangent here...

I have the sr80i for rock/non-bassy type music (pixies, nirvana, the strokes) and the HFI-580 for EDM and radio type hits (daft punk, dash berlin, pink). The sr80s are currently on loan so I just eq the mids and highs up a notch to get that grado sound. It can't beat the aggressive, open and airy sound of my sr80i but they do quite the job quite well imo.

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,364 of 6,729
  Here is an "NEW OPEN BOX" PS1000…not the (e) series for a great price incase your interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Grado-PS1000-Professional-Series-Headphones-Autographed-Box-/161473480239?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item259891c62f

Thanks for the tip joseph69!

I win!

Paid BIN price, couldn't resist. Ebaybucks helped though (shopping math).  I've heard the PS1000e, now I get a chance to hear the PS1000. I hope I like. 

Now it's time to pick up a nice desktop amp to compliment.

With this hobby it's hard to quite while your ahead. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,365 of 6,729
  Thanks for the tip joseph69!

I win!

Paid BIN price, couldn't resist. Ebaybucks helped though (shopping math).  I've heard the PS1000e, now I get a chance to hear the PS1000. I hope I like. 

Now it's time to pick up a nice desktop amp to compliment.

With this hobby it's hard to quite while your ahead. 

Congratulations on the PS1K's!!! I'm glad someone here got them...enjoy!
Keep us posted on your impressions.
I can't seem to quit either!
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #2,368 of 6,729

I've listened to all the SR series, the RS1 and PS500 and they've all improved in sound when amped, especially when paired with a warm amp like the e07k. You'll get a stronger bass response with the boost but none of the ones i've heard had very good bass extension, even the ps500 which has the most bass out of them all lacks extension. Its just not a particular strength of Grado cans imo.
You could always try modding the pads or getting the ttvj flat pads which can help improve bass.

Get a Beats. Its bass will blow you away. Excellent bass...deep, big, and mushy...get them, it has great bass....extended, and bloomy...great cans...for bass...bass is good.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,370 of 6,729

SR80e are FLAT, dude. You will be fine, no matter what you listen to.

In other news, my pair is starting to sound 0.0000000002% better (the drivers are breaking in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back