Grado e Series
Oct 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,177 of 6,729
  Just got my SR80e in the mail! They haven't broken in yet (obviously), but right out of the box they are the most detailed (°_°)phones I owned. They seem flatter than AKG K240S, with treble not being rolled off as much. The bass extends nicely, and all tracks from my collection I tried so far have no bass problems. Whenever there is a prominent bass line, the lower notes do not sound quieter than the higher ones. I can hear deep bass just fine, and there is very little distortion. The foam does make the ears warmer to an extent, but beyond that extent they don't start to sweat, like SOME HEADPHONES MAKE THEM. They are very light, and DO NOT flatten my hair, like the flat plastic headband of K240S does.

Grado representative promised me the thing is neutral, and they didn't lie to me, which is kind of nice.

The only one thing I wish to add: I want Grado to start adding removable cables to all of their models. Like, ALL OF THEM. I wonder if anyone here mods them...

IMO, the RS1s are 35% better than the SR80s for 7x price.  The SR80e is the best value hp in market.  

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,179 of 6,729
  sadly my grados sr60e quit playing thru left driver. they was nice while they lasted

aren't they still under warranty? also are you sure it's the driver and not the cable that is defective?

my sr60i took just under 5 years of daily (and i do mean every single day no less than five hours and usually more per day) of use/abuse before needing to be re cabled and even out of warranty it only cost $25 (which included return shipping from gradolabs).when i asked for an estimate of how long it would take to get them back i was told up to 60 days but i think they were just being overly cautious because i had them back on my doorstep good as new in less than eight days.i would email (or phone) them here and find out.best of luck
info@gradolabs.com.  phone (718) 435-5340
http://www.gradolabs.com/warranty

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2,182 of 6,729
yep just checked I got em two weeks ago on the 9th.at first the left side kinda sounded like it was crackling I thought it was my imagination .then they just quit working on left side. I wish I kept the box.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,183 of 6,729
Love LP/vinyl too. But going to and from to flip the vinyl for the side 2 is a PITA...hehe...so just went CDs and rips and looked for players and DACs that don't sound digital-ish but vinyl-ish. They're out there.

Btw, my father has a turntable (in a cabinet) where you can put as much as 10 vinyls (IIRC, but definitely more than 5) stacked up and they'll all play continuously after each other (of course without flipping for Side B..hehe). Do they make those now? Been looking and researching and can't see any.

Many, many (maybe even most) turntables in the 70's and earlier were "record changers".  Brands included Dual, Fisher, Garrard, PE, and many more.  I used to have a Fisher that had two spindles - a short one for playing records singly, and a tall one when used as a changer.
Like many convenience features, in any field, the extra parts and relative complexity of changers had their down side.  Simpler manual turntables rose up stronger, as cost effective quality.

Also, for "serious" listening, the rake angle of the stylus could only be correct for one of the records in your stack.  That was another compromise, but most didn't mind when a stack of records could play for the duration of typical party.

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #2,186 of 6,729
  I realized yesterday that I have been listening to EVERYTHING on 1 to 3 bars of volume (out of 16). SR80e is the most efficient pair I have ever owned. I'd even say they are too efficient.

Yep...Grado's are the best low volume can on the planet 
smile.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,188 of 6,729
I noticed that too, when I compared the e with my old PS1000, they played significantly louder, at the same volume setting. It's not surprising, considering the fact that the drivers are not only bigger, but they're closer, enough so, to squish my ears.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,189 of 6,729

No, I've never heard the HF-2…but the 325is's vocals are very forward/clear/realistic, which is why I like them so much.

I agree  joseph....the 325 is was my first real nice headphone....I got goose bumps hearing that kind of detail  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back