Grado e Series
Oct 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #2,162 of 6,729

I like the L-cushion pads on my RS1's because I've luckily got Grado ears which fit inside the l-cushions if you can believe that.
Will nature favor or select against us in the future because of our genetic predisposition to Grado headphones?

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,163 of 6,729
I have the SR325i and the SR325e and I am still in the process to make up my mind. this is mainly due to the lack of time to really listen carefully and compare. This involves several days because I have made the experience that it depends a lot on the shape I am in, how I receive a headphone. Same track, same source, same headphone can be different perceived when I am tired or when I am more awake.
but let's start with the obvious: the SR325e is louder. On my ipod touch I have to put the volume one point up to get have the same felt volume (not measured!). Overall the SR325e sounds with more body. The bass is more present, mostly in the midbass region. The SR325i has a very nice bass, fast and controlled, the SR325e has more midbass, a little bit into PS500 direction but not that much. the SR325e is a bit tamed in the highs compared to the SR325i, though I never found them harsh to my ears. What is the amazing part about the SR325i are the represantation of vocals. I have also the PS500, the Alessandro MS Pro, the HF1 but the SR325i has the best vocal represantation I have heard so far. Singer/songwriter music or Tom Waits are fantastic with this headphone! The SR325e is different there, compared to the SR325i the vocals seem to be a bit back, less prominant.
How does this work in real life?
Yesterday I listened to "Sorrow" from the national and the voice of Matt Behringer sounded best with the SR325i. After this I listened to "Six bell chime" from crime and the city solution and I liked this more with the SR325e.
For me the SR325e is a very nice headphone but different from the SR325i. I think it lacks the clarity that make the SR325i so special for me. I like them a lot and this was the reason, why I bought the SR325e because I wanted to compare and thought that it is good I have a second pair, in case my first one breaks down...
In the end, at the moment I listen most of the time with the SR325e, the SR325i and the Alessandro...

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,164 of 6,729
Just got my SR80e in the mail! They haven't broken in yet (obviously), but right out of the box they are the most detailed (°_°)phones I owned. They seem flatter than AKG K240S, with treble not being rolled off as much. The bass extends nicely, and all tracks from my collection I tried so far have no bass problems. Whenever there is a prominent bass line, the lower notes do not sound quieter than the higher ones. I can hear deep bass just fine, and there is very little distortion. The foam does make the ears warmer to an extent, but beyond that extent they don't start to sweat, like SOME HEADPHONES MAKE THEM. They are very light, and DO NOT flatten my hair, like the flat plastic headband of K240S does.

Grado representative promised me the thing is neutral, and they didn't lie to me, which is kind of nice.

The only one thing I wish to add: I want Grado to start adding removable cables to all of their models. Like, ALL OF THEM. I wonder if anyone here mods them...

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,165 of 6,729
After a few weeks of burn-in, my SR60e's have sounded better than they did out of the box. ^_^  Somehow the bass impact has increased a bit and there used to be a bit of harshness in the vocals out of the box that has now smoothed out and made the headphones more enjoyable to listen to. My only issue is that i can't use it at work because I work in an office with an open layout 
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,166 of 6,729
  After a few weeks of burn-in, my SR60e's have sounded better than they did out of the box. ^_^  Somehow the bass impact has increased a bit and there used to be a bit of harshness in the vocals out of the box that has now smoothed out and made the headphones more enjoyable to listen to. My only issue is that i can't use it at work because I work in an office with an open layout 
frown.gif

You need one of this there.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,167 of 6,729
  I have the SR325i and the SR325e and I am still in the process to make up my mind. this is mainly due to the lack of time to really listen carefully and compare. This involves several days because I have made the experience that it depends a lot on the shape I am in, how I receive a headphone. Same track, same source, same headphone can be different perceived when I am tired or when I am more awake.
but let's start with the obvious: the SR325e is louder. On my ipod touch I have to put the volume one point up to get have the same felt volume (not measured!). Overall the SR325e sounds with more body. The bass is more present, mostly in the midbass region. The SR325i has a very nice bass, fast and controlled, the SR325e has more midbass, a little bit into PS500 direction but not that much. the SR325e is a bit tamed in the highs compared to the SR325i, though I never found them harsh to my ears. What is the amazing part about the SR325i are the represantation of vocals. I have also the PS500, the Alessandro MS Pro, the HF1 but the SR325i has the best vocal represantation I have heard so far. Singer/songwriter music or Tom Waits are fantastic with this headphone! The SR325e is different there, compared to the SR325i the vocals seem to be a bit back, less prominant.
How does this work in real life?
Yesterday I listened to "Sorrow" from the national and the voice of Matt Behringer sounded best with the SR325i. After this I listened to "Six bell chime" from crime and the city solution and I liked this more with the SR325e.
For me the SR325e is a very nice headphone but different from the SR325i. I think it lacks the clarity that make the SR325i so special for me. I like them a lot and this was the reason, why I bought the SR325e because I wanted to compare and thought that it is good I have a second pair, in case my first one breaks down...
In the end, at the moment I listen most of the time with the SR325e, the SR325i and the Alessandro...

Of all the Grados I own, I believe my 325is's reproduce vocals the best.

Just got my SR80e in the mail! They haven't broken in yet (obviously), but right out of the box they are the most detailed (°_°)phones I owned. They seem flatter than AKG K240S, with treble not being rolled off as much. The bass extends nicely, and all tracks from my collection I tried so far have no bass problems. Whenever there is a prominent bass line, the lower notes do not sound quieter than the higher ones. I can hear deep bass just fine, and there is very little distortion. The foam does make the ears warmer to an extent, but beyond that extent they don't start to sweat, like SOME HEADPHONES MAKE THEM. They are very light, and DO NOT flatten my hair, like the flat plastic headband of K240S does.

Grado representative promised me the thing is neutral, and they didn't lie to me, which is kind of nice.

The only one thing I wish to add: I want Grado to start adding removable cables to all of their models. Like, ALL OF THEM. I wonder if anyone here mods them...

I know I say it all the time, but can't go wrong with the 80's.
Enjoy!

frown.gif

Make it mandatory for everybody in the office to wear headphones, then you won't have to worry
biggrin.gif

You need one of this there.

These also leak sound, they are vented, not closed back.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #2,170 of 6,729
  I bought them and only listened to them for about 6hrs…then sold them, so I can't make any comparisons.
But they did sound nice even without sufficient burn-in. I really don't read much about them here on HF, but I know stacker45 loves his so he can give you his impressions on them.

So they weren't good enough to keep.  

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,171 of 6,729

So they weren't good enough to keep.  

No, thats not what I meant at all.
I already had the 80i/325is/RS1i at the time, and between the 3 of them there was no reason to keep them.
Also I thought they were closed back headphone as first reported, so I wanted to hear them…but they weren't really closed back, and they sounded similar too the Grados I already had. If I didn't already have them, I'm sure I would have kept them.  

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,172 of 6,729

The Bushmills need to have L cush pads placed on them to justify their cost. with those on, they sound like an RS1 with slightly more mid bass and slightly smaller soundstage.

Very nice headphones and a decent deal at their MSRP (assuming you spend an extra 30 for the L cush. with the stock comfies, they sound muffled and the bass is mushier)

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,173 of 6,729
Listening to a track with a prominent, heavy bass line. SR80e deliver.

I am pretty sure I won't get banned for posting the track, since it was never commercially available:
https://mega.co.nz/#!SkAgjKiA!vHrDmj2rt5onfDD37aCibXvZUH5YGCYkljtgipBzgwo

As I think about it, SR80e has better bass than K240S.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,174 of 6,729
  Listening to a track with a prominent, heavy bass line. SR80e deliver.

I am pretty sure I won't get banned for posting the track, since it was never commercially available:
https://mega.co.nz/#!SkAgjKiA!vHrDmj2rt5onfDD37aCibXvZUH5YGCYkljtgipBzgwo

As I think about it, SR80e has better bass than K240S.

The bass quality is nice on the 80.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,175 of 6,729
Did you ever hear the HF-2?  How does that compare to the 325is for vocals?  Maybe the HF-2 too forward for some people, but I like that type of presentation for vocals and acoustic performances.  I am borrowing a pair of PS-500 right now and I find it to be a good all-around performer.  

Quote:
  Of all the Grados I own, I believe my 325is's reproduce vocals the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back