Grado e Series
Oct 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,131 of 6,729
Love LP/vinyl too. But going to and from to flip the vinyl for the side 2 is a PITA...hehe...so just went CDs and rips and looked for players and DACs that don't sound digital-ish but vinyl-ish. They're out there.

Btw, my father has a turntable (in a cabinet) where you can put as much as 10 vinyls (IIRC, but definitely more than 5) stacked up and they'll all play continuously after each other (of course without flipping for Side B..hehe). Do they make those now? Been looking and researching and can't see any.

The old Garrard turntables do that, I bet you could find one out there like this one....

http://www.use.com/4147f1177b6b44828e22

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,132 of 6,729
Oct 17, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2,133 of 6,729
I doubt anyone make a new turntable "changer" anymore.  The used Garrard turntables are built like tanks.  Find a good second hand/consignment audio store if you have one in your city.  They usually perform a tune up adjust the speed, change belts, oil, ect when they take in a turntable. Good luck!

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,134 of 6,729
I doubt anyone make a new turntable "changer" anymore.  The used Garrard turntables are built like tanks.  Find a good second hand/consignment audio store if you have one in your city.  They usually perform a tune up adjust the speed, change belts, oil, ect when they take in a turntable. Good luck!
Thanks. Wonder why they don't sell those now, seems like a very useful feature.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,137 of 6,729
Looking forward for more impressions of the SR325e, please!

Here is the impression I posted a while back: http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/19050#post_10962953

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,140 of 6,729

Thank you, borrego!  I did read this already, but I'm looking to comparison to other Grado e series, especially RS1/2e and PS500e.  

If this helps you any…I have both the 325is/RS1i, I know your inquiring about the (e) series, but let me just say that the 325is's are an excellent headphone, and there does come a point were you get just that little bit extra with a higher end/price model (sometimes). I'm listening to my 325is's/WA6 right now, and although I love my RS1i's (at more than double the price) the RS1i's give that little bit more that I'm talking about than the 325is's…still keeping in mind the 325is's are excellent.
The point I'm trying to make is that yes IMO the RS1i's are excellent, and give a bit more IMO than the 325is's, so it comes down to…is it worth it for you? To me it is... knowing that improvements in audio come in small increments for a big increase in price. So it all depend on if you think its worth the extra price for performance. Even though I've never heard an (e) series Grado, comparing the (i) series as a substitute I would think this would apply for the (e) series as well. If your looking for that little bit extra, which is a lot when it comes to listening/enjoying music IMO, there is a price for it, and too me its worth it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 325is's…and there are plenty of Head-Fiers who like them better than some higher end models, and I can understand why, because I own them. Just my opinion on the whole this vs that thing once you reach a certain price/performance ratio. Hope this helps you out 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,141 of 6,729
  If this helps you any…I have both the 325is/RS1i, I know your inquiring about the (e) series, but let me just say that the 325is's are an excellent headphone, and there does come a point were you get just that little bit extra with a higher end/price model (sometimes). I'm listening to my 325is's/WA6 right now, and although I love my RS1i's (at more than double the price) the RS1i's give that little bit more that I'm talking about than the 325is's…still keeping in mind the 325is's are excellent.
The point I'm trying to make is that yes IMO the RS1i's are excellent, and give a bit more IMO than the 325is's, so it comes down to…is it worth it for you? To me it is... knowing that improvements in audio come in small increments for a big increase in price. So it all depend on if you think its worth the extra price for performance. Even though I've never heard an (e) series Grado, comparing the (i) series as a substitute I would think this would apply for the (e) series as well. If your looking for that little bit extra, which is a lot when it comes to listening/enjoying music IMO, there is a price for it, and too me its worth it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 325is's…and there are plenty of Head-Fiers who like them better than some higher end models, and I can understand why, because I own them. Just my opinion on the whole this vs that thing once you reach a certain price/performance ratio. Hope this helps you out 
wink.gif

IYO, is the RS1i an improved version of the 325is? 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #2,142 of 6,729

IYO, is the RS1i an improved version of the 325is? 

I wouldn't say that it is an improved version of the 325is…but different.
I love the sound each of them have to offer…but do I prefer the sound of the RS1i? Yes!
I would say that the RS1i is a big improvement of the 80i due to their very similar sound signatures.
And the 80i is an excellent headphone.
I have no regrets at all with the purchase of the RS1i. I actually returned/sold 2 PS1K's because I liked the RS1i better... but then missed the PS1K's for their own different sound, and now own them again. I will alway own my RS1i's for sure!
If I could only own 1 of my Grados it would be the RS1i.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,143 of 6,729
Over the weekend I brought my SR325e home and compared with my SA3000 and HE500. To my surprise I found the SR325e performs very good at imaging. It only lacks slightly behind the SA3000 for placing all the instruments at the correct positions. For example,kick drum won't sound in front of the vocal.

My HE500 is lacking behind the SR325e in the imaging department. Time for me to do the degrill exercise for my HE500.

The SR325e still fall short to both the SA3000 and HE500 for handling multi-instrument/complex music. Hopefully with it will get better with more burn-in.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2,144 of 6,729
  For RS1e and MSPROe which are with 50mm i believe..they are sounding so different from previous Grado's "i" signature. This time is a lot warmer..thicker..and a lot less treble. Perhaps less open too. ...  if the source is not good enough...they will sound a bit dull/veiled (not a horrible kinda dull/veiled - details are still very good through them). 

The top end is so much lesser now. 1st time of my listening..i was so shock. I wonder wheres the treble? I felt they cut it too much. And the overall sound they make it a lot THICKER..so is a much more robust sounding compared to the previous RS1i/MSPROi imo.

These were my first impressions as well.  I was honestly worried that I had gotten a defective pair until I read other impressions confirming the same thing.

The sound jump from the 225 to the 225e was pretty big, bigger than I was expecting, but the 225e still sounded like a 225; the same signature was there, just much bigger and better.  The RS1e definitely does not sound like an RS1; Grado really took it a different direction.  It may as well be a distinct model from the old RS1.

I've been listening to them for well over a month and still haven't settled on them.  For some albums they're hard to enjoy; they can lose all the treble that makes Grados sound open and detailed, but the upper-mid peak Grados are known for sounds even more exaggerated than on the RS1i, leading to some frequencies above the 1k range to become ear splitting.  It's the worst of both worlds for a Grado; it keeps the harsh brightness that drives people away from Grado but loses the air and detail that Grado fans love. 

Radiohead's "All I Need" is the best example of what I'm talking about.  The ending section with the dissonant strings is absolutely shrieking and painful to listen to...   And this is from the 45rpm 180g discbox pressing, which I consider to be the best sounding album I have. 

On the other hand, some songs on the very same album sound perfectly enjoyable through them, way better than on the RS1i.  There's such an increase in the depth and weight of the sound and everything is so much tighter that it's hard to go back to the RS1i's weaker sound. 

I found that using the hair tie mod that was posted in the RS1 thread helped the sound a little bit; by removing the pads, fitting a hair tie around the protruding driver and then putting the earpads back on you can increase the bowl depth a little bit and get a little bit more treble and space back.  The upper mids also aren't quite as grating. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back