Grado e Series
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #2,206 of 6,729
Oct 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,208 of 6,729
Oct 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #2,209 of 6,729
Have you tried the RS2i? What's your take on their differences?

I had the RS2i before, and prefer them to RS1i for being more balanced and less of a bump in the mid bass. Some folks were saying they sound similar but I did not found this to be the case. I eventually sold the RS2i because they were harsh sounding and also the upper register brightness. I notice that the latest version of RS2e seem to have a 44 mm driver as compared with the 50mm driver of the RS1e, that could have further their divergence in sound.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2,210 of 6,729
diamondsears, I haven't heard the GS1000e, and I didn't bother comparing the PS1000e with my first gen GS1000, simply because the minute I put the PS1000e on, I could tell that they sounded very differently, than my old GS, wich have THE biggest soundstage of any Grados that I've heard, they also have a mid to high frequency bias, as opposed the the mid to bass biass of the PS1000e.

I'm one of those who thinks that they're are at least two different types of G cush running around out there, wich in itself is a good thing, I say, the more choice we have, the better. I am willing to accept the possibility that Grado being Grado, this could very well be a case of sample to sample difference.

As I have said before, the drivers of the PS1000e were not just touching, but they were also pressing on my ears, wich made them very uncomfortable to me. I do however have Grado, (smallish) ears though, so ymmv. I then swapped both the PS's pads, and with the old pads on the e, the drivers weren't touching anymore, success. 

I came to the conclusion that the pads were responsable for most of the differences between the old and new PS. So in the end, I brought the PS1000e back, and figured I'd just buy a pair of the new pads, just in case I'd be in the mood for added bass and closer mids, at the expence of treble extension, and a norrower soundstage.

Oh, and the same volume setting, the e do play louder. I think it's partly because of the larger drivers, and it's proximity to the ears.

Hope this helps. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,211 of 6,729
diamondsears, I haven't heard the GS1000e, and I didn't bother comparing the PS1000e with my first gen GS1000, simply because the minute I put the PS1000e on, I could tell that they sounded very differently, than my old GS, wich have THE biggest soundstage of any Grados that I've heard, they also have a mid to high frequency bias, as opposed the the mid to bass biass of the PS1000e.

I'm one of those who thinks that they're are at least two different types of G cush running around out there, wich in itself is a good thing, I say, the more choice we have, the better. I am willing to accept the possibility that Grado being Grado, this could very well be a case of sample to sample difference.

As I have said before, the drivers of the PS1000e were not just touching, but they were also pressing on my ears, wich made them very uncomfortable to me. I do however have Grado, (smallish) ears though, so ymmv. I then swapped both the PS's pads, and with the old pads on the e, the drivers weren't touching anymore, success. 

I came to the conclusion that the pads were responsable for most of the differences between the old and new PS. So in the end, I brought the PS1000e back, and figured I'd just buy a pair of the new pads, just in case I'd be in the mood for added bass and closer mids, at the expence of treble extension, and a norrower soundstage.

Oh, and the same volume setting, the e do play louder. I think it's partly because of the larger drivers, and it's proximity to the ears.

Hope this helps. 
Thanks for that, stacker45. Appreciate it.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,212 of 6,729
I had the RS2i before, and prefer them to RS1i for being more balanced and less of a bump in the mid bass. Some folks were saying they sound similar but I did not found this to be the case. I eventually sold the RS2i because they were harsh sounding and also the upper register brightness. I notice that the latest version of RS2e seem to have a 44 mm driver as compared with the 50mm driver of the RS1e, that could have further their divergence in sound.
Thanks as well. Grado should have showrooms all over for listenings. But maybe that's their secret, the mysteriousness

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #2,213 of 6,729
  Ouuups!, Disregard Joseph, don't ask me why, but I had you confused with Focker, I totally blame this one on the meds, damn painkillers!.

Oh, and Focker, hurry up and get the PS1000, and stop making me look like an idiot!.

Just kidding buddy!

LOL...I need to call my local dealer and ask him to get a demo in for me. I'm still really tempted to pick up a new pair of the "e" version of the 500s, but I do want to at least demo the 1ks. I've posted this many times on head-fi, but I still just love my 500s with the Kindle Fire. Great little entertainment rig! 

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2,216 of 6,729
That little GeekOut piece looks awesome. 

I also like the AudioEngine D1 (or I think they may have a new model out now). I've been using it for years. You can use it as a USB DAC or stand alone. Works great with Grados. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2,217 of 6,729
Hey guys, i want to hop on the grados hype train so id like to ask, whats a good, cheap amp/dac for the sr325e? I know nothing about tubes/amps in general buy id like to buy one

Don't know your budget or if you mean integrated or not, but the LD1+ ( hybrid amp) Schiit Modi (dac) is a nice combo but are not integrated they are separate. Also the Schiit Magni (amp) Modi (dac) also sepeate and known as the M/M combo but the amp is SS and works nice with the 325's…I use this combo with my 325's MBP while at my desk.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,218 of 6,729
That little GeekOut piece looks awesome. 

I also like the AudioEngine D1 (or I think they may have a new model out now). I've been using it for years. You can use it as a USB DAC or stand alone. Works great with Grados. 

the geek out is quite a bit better to me that the d1 and the d1 is good

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,219 of 6,729
  Question for Grado GS1000e owners - Do you find the GS1000e to lack midbass.  I like the GS1000e mid-range and treble, but I feel as though the mid-bass (especially lower mid-bass and bass) is almost completely lacking.  I don't think the unit is defective, but I am wondering whether the pair I received is typical. I have listened for probably no more than 20-30 hours, and the mid-bass might have filled out a little, but compared to my PS500e (and many other headphones) the lack of midbassis significant.

No, I wouldn’t say it’s lacking mid bass.  Mid-bass on my GS1000e sounds well represented and tuneful.  The bass sounds plentiful and satisfying to me however does not come close to the bass extension & presence from can’s like the HD650 or LCD-XC/X or TH-900.  I’ve never heard the PS500e so I can’t compare. The quality of the mid-bass & bass is excellent, punchy yet not bloated.

I did compare the GS1000e to the PS1000e and the PS1ke had greater bass extension vs the GS1ke without sounding bloated or overdone (+15%).  

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2,220 of 6,729
thank you all! My budget would be less than 200$ so the M/M looks nice, i also want to state that i literrally know nothing about tubes, so tube rolling wouldn´t be my thing. Also checking the geekout, but i need more info before choosing

I also would like to ask, Whats better? G, S or L cushions? sound quality is my priority but man a little comfort would be nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back