Grado e Series
Sep 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #1,756 of 6,729
Hi. I have had my GS1000e for a little while now and I have to say these are a great pair of headphones. Beautiful and spacious sounding with excellent resolution and smooth detailed treble. Bass was a little soft at first but has become quite impactful on my vinyl system. Mids are very natural and beautiful and just a little further back than the RS1i or PS1000 but still very well defined and have a nice 'glow' to them. The PS1000 gives these a very tough run for their money but depending on the music the lighter and spacier sounding GS1000e can be just as enjoyable. PS1000 has a little more muscle and control in the bass and mids and just a more 'solid' kind of sound but the GS1000e doesn't disappoint and shares many similarities. PS1000 can handle heavy bass with aplomb but the 'e' series driver in the GS1000e seems just slightly smoother in the treble and the bass and mids are not as 'heavy' sounding as the PS1000.

If rock solid impact and control are your thing the PS1000 will impress however if you prefer a little 'lighter' and more musically 'afloat' sound the GS1000e are also a great choice. I am guessing the PS1000e could be the best of both worlds but given the price difference I think the GS1ke are a great value.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,757 of 6,729
What is the difference between gs1000i and gs1000e.is the difference big?I hv a pair of gs1000i and can't really find anything not good.now I am thinking to return the rs1e and buy the gs1000e.please give me some advice.thanks.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,758 of 6,729
Beautiful cans, realstar.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,759 of 6,729
Hi. I have had my GS1000e for a little while now and I have to say these are a great pair of headphones. Beautiful and spacious sounding with excellent resolution and smooth detailed treble. Bass was a little soft at first but has become quite impactful on my vinyl system. Mids are very natural and beautiful and just a little further back than the RS1i or PS1000 but still very well defined and have a nice 'glow' to them. The PS1000 gives these a very tough run for their money but depending on the music the lighter and spacier sounding GS1000e can be just as enjoyable. PS1000 has a little more muscle and control in the bass and mids and just a more 'solid' kind of sound but the GS1000e doesn't disappoint and shares many similarities. PS1000 can handle heavy bass with aplomb but the 'e' series driver in the GS1000e seems just slightly smoother in the treble and the bass and mids are not as 'heavy' sounding as the PS1000.

If rock solid impact and control are your thing the PS1000 will impress however if you prefer a little 'lighter' and more musically 'afloat' sound the GS1000e are also a great choice. I am guessing the PS1000e could be the best of both worlds but given the price difference I think the GS1ke are a great value.

i too am a happy gs1000e owner , and i agree with your findings, especially it being a great value

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,760 of 6,729
What is the difference between gs1000i and gs1000e.is the difference big?I hv a pair of gs1000i and can't really find anything not good.now I am thinking to return the rs1e and buy the gs1000e.please give me some advice.thanks.

i feel the gs1ke is a significant improvement over the gs1k, and gs1ki,
the e model is improved in the midrange, its a little more up front, and the treble is where the most improvement has been made
its sweeter, more delicate, and loses none of the detail.
i've not heard the rs1e, but i had a rs1i for while, to me, its two different type sounds, the gs is bigger , more spacious, the rs1 more intimate , textured.  my $.02

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,761 of 6,729
Well keeping both I and e of gsk might be good idea since they r both good.i love the treble un gski though.i think a laid back midrange and sharp treble made it a special phones.i can't wait to try gs1000e.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,762 of 6,729
Well keeping both I and e of gsk might be good idea since they r both good.i love the treble un gski though.i think a laid back midrange and sharp treble made it a special phones.i can't wait to try gs1000e.

oh i loved the gs1000i ! don't get me wrong, but i do think the e version is even better !
good luck , keep us posted !

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,763 of 6,729

oh i loved the gs1000i ! don't get me wrong, but i do think the e version is even better !
good luck , keep us posted !

I am still in love with my original GS1000 :p :wink:

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,765 of 6,729
PS500, for me, have an abundance of mid bass. Didn't find it "fun" as some have stated. And bass extension is non-existent, unacceptable for a $600 headphone. I sold them after 100 hours or so, and to think i almost sold my 225s when the 500s first arrived. Alas, there are recordings the 500s play better than the 225s and the other way around, but where the 500s seemed to excel, my lowly Bose Triports do just fine with ample sub-bass making up for whatever they give up elsewhere. The 225s therefore seem like the better of the two Grados to me. Keep wondering what the RS series might deliver compared to a 225, though. If my broken in 225 had bass extension, they'd be perfect, and I suspect the RS ...or much of anything else in the Grado line .. won't offer that.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,766 of 6,729
PS500, for me, have an abundance of mid bass. Didn't find it "fun" as some have stated. And bass extension is non-existent, unacceptable for a $600 headphone. I returned them, and to think i almost sold my 225s when the 500s first arrived. Alas, there are recordings the 500s play better than the 225s and the other way around, but where the 500s seemed to excel, my lowly Bose Triports do just fine with ample sub-bass making up for whatever they give up elsewhere. The 225s therefore seem like the better of the two Grados to me. Keep wondering what the RS series might deliver compared to a 225, though. If my broken in 225 had bass extension, they'd be perfect, and I suspect the RS ...or much of anything else in the Grado line .. won'toffer that.

PS/GS1K
RS1/325is
Of course this is just my opinion.

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,767 of 6,729
I got my RS1"e" today only to read "RS1i" on the box...  ElusiveDisc isn't distinguishing between the two even though they explicitly sold it as an "e."  It's one of the later models with red drivers and new mahogany earpieces, although it doesn't have the 1/8th" plug (it still came with the floppy old adapter).   I was actually pleased with this, since it doesn't make sense to design $700 headphones around an ipod; these are made for home system listening. 

Unfortunately, the earcups were badly crushed to the point of having no real bowl; I know the e has shallower pads, but these have no rim left to distance the driver from the ear at all.  I was considering returning them right away, but decided to give them a chance.  Here's a comparison with the RS1i:

It nearly feels just like wearing the headphones without any pads on at all.  I tried swapping pads with my RS1i and the extra depth helped, but the driver grill still made contact with my ear.  I can handle it, but it's definitely less comfortable than the i.

The good news is that the new mahogany and finish look gorgeous, much better than the i's in my opinon:

Sound-wise, the RS1e has some odd treble (particularly with strings) that almost sounds like a cheap little radio.  There's definitely less treble than the i, but it's not a smooth reduction; it sounds like it has awkwardly big drops in just a few narrow bands.  It's so weird that it almost has to be due to a lack of burn-in or a defect, so I'm not judging until after a little time with some radio static. 

Otherwise, they clearly have a very dynamic, powerful sound with more lower-mid body than the i's.  I actually expect that they'll be the better headphone if the break-in opens the treble, but those damned earpads have to go. 

I've got some larger poorly taken photos here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/90363551@N08/sets/72157647021123247/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back