Grado e Series
Aug 31, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,696 of 6,729

I would agree... Unless you intend to mod the LD1+...

If money is no object though... lol

how would you mod the Ld1+? do you mean if you change out the tubes/op-amp?

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,697 of 6,729
  how would you mod the Ld1+? do you mean if you change out the tubes/op-amp?

As well as re ground and re wire it... change some cap's around AND add some external voltage regulation for the heaters then yeah lol

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,700 of 6,729

This is what they look like, any ideas? I'm thinking replacement drivers. Could they be samples or prototypes? Probably not:grin:

I just received my 3yr old 325is's from being serviced by Grado last week due to sounding very dark/veiled, and if it helps you any, I don't have a bar code, I still have the etched serial #…don't know what they did, but they do sound amazing again!

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #1,701 of 6,729
I just received my 3yr old 325is's from being serviced by Grado last week due to sounding very dark/veiled, and if it helps you any, I don't have a bar code, I still have the etched serial #…don't know what they did, but they do sound amazing again!

Well the plot thickens! Like I said they sound spot on, could they perhaps be third party drivers?... upgrades even? Do you appreciate the optimism☺?

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,702 of 6,729

This is what they look like, any ideas? I'm thinking replacement drivers. Could they be samples or prototypes? Probably not:grin:

strange, i've never seen or heard of that, like someone said before, send an email to grado, maybe include the pic too,

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,703 of 6,729
Well the plot thickens! Like I said they sound spot on, could they perhaps be third party drivers?... upgrades even? Do you appreciate the optimism☺?

I don't think they're third party drivers, and they're not (e) driver either.
I did e-mail Grado after receiving them to ask what was wrong with them, but they said there technicians had left for the day so I never pursued being they sounded perfect.
And yes, I do appreciate the optimism. Another thing is my friend and I switched drivers because I had originally purchased the MS2i (which doesn't have serial#'s and he purchased the 325is's and we liked the sound of each others headphones better than the ones we purchased, but I liked the cups without the buttons so we just switched the drivers into each others cups and he threw out the box/paper work for the 325's… so I don't even know what serial# came with the 325is drivers, so I couldn't even tell you if it is the same serial#/driver (but there is a serial# on the drivers)... so I have 325is drivers in Alessandro MS2i cups.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #1,704 of 6,729
I don't think they're third party drivers, and they're not (e) driver either.
I did e-mail Grado after receiving them to ask what was wrong with them, but they said there technicians had left for the day so I never pursued being they sounded perfect.
And yes, I do appreciate the optimism. Another thing is my friend and I switched drivers because I had originally purchased the MS2i (which doesn't have serial#'s and he purchased the 325is's and we liked the sound of each others headphones better than the ones we purchased, but I liked the cups without the buttons so we just switched the drivers into each others cups and he threw out the box/paper work for the 325's… so I don't even know what serial# came with the 325is drivers, so I couldn't even tell you if it is the same serial#/driver (but there is a serial# on the drivers)... so I have 325is drivers in Alessandro MS2i cups.

I see, so do Alessandro cups have barcodes instead of serial numbers?

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,705 of 6,729
I have a SR325e that was sold under in a SR325is box. With the red dots on the box and the red driver. But I have the number of the model scratched into the plastic, the same as it was with my goldie SR325i. I think it is better you contact Grado for this and ask if these are real Grados... I hope for you they are because the SR325i or SR325e are great headphones...

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,706 of 6,729
Finally got to demo the PS500e at the audio shop for two hours. Wow. I remembered the PS500 being a tick too bassy. The PS500e on the other hand was fantastic. Because it's not a U-shaped frequency response like the Prestige Series line, you can crank up the volume and hear that beautiful midrange. I liked it better than the *gasp* HD800 which was right next to it. They also had the SR325e but it wasn't much of a match against the PS500e.

Still need to demo the RS1e and GS1000e before I make my purchase.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,707 of 6,729
I currently own the RS2i and the PS500 and I'm looking to jump into the big leagues.  I'm debating the GS1000e with the PS1000e but I'm worried about the weight.  The PS500 bugs me at times due to its weight but it has more low end slam than my RS2i.  I just wondering how much better the GS1000e would be compair to those two headphones when it comes to soundstage, highs and lows?  I just got into classical and the RS2i and the PS500 can only do so much...  Then again, I'm worried that I would lose the classic Grado sound with the GS1000e/PS1000e. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,708 of 6,729
  I currently own the RS2i and the PS500 and I'm looking to jump into the big leagues.  I'm debating the GS1000e with the PS1000e but I'm worried about the weight.  The PS500 bugs me at times due to its weight but it has more low end slam than my RS2i.  I just wondering how much better the GS1000e would be compair to those two headphones when it comes to soundstage, highs and lows?  I just got into classical and the RS2i and the PS500 can only do so much...  Then again, I'm worried that I would lose the classic Grado sound with the GS1000e/PS1000e. 

Since it seems the e line has changed the GS1k and PS1k quite a bit I don’t think anyone has heard both of them yet. Comparisons to the older models might not be accurate anymore. e.g.: GS1k has recessed mids but it seems the e series brings them closer to the forefront, like the old PS1k. And then, the new PS1ke is apparently a better, more accurate performer with soundstage and bass response than the older one.

The PS1000’s weight with the default headband can be an issue if you wear them for many hours. But it’s not a huge issue. Just a bit of pressure at the top of the head. the side cushions are fine since they only touch the sides of your head, not your ears.  The pressure on the top of the head is relieved by getting a third party headband from turbulent labs or a thicker headphone cover for the existing headband.

The GS1000i/e, as I think you may already know, has zero weight issues. very light and comfortable.

If you do get a chance to hear both the ps1ke and gs1ke as a demo, please come back and tell us :)

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,709 of 6,729
It'n nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that the Bushmills X are on par with the RS1, I have the L-cush, on mine, and I agree with you LC, when you say that they have a little more bass than the RS1. and that's one of the reasons why I actuially prefer them to the RS1i, the other being that the music seems to breath a little more with the Bushmills, it's like there's more ''air'' around the performers.

In my opinion, the SR325i and the PS500, represent the two extremes in the Grado lineup, so colegatetotal, if you like the PS500, odds are you won't like the SR325 very much, and vice verca. just my two cents.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,710 of 6,729

Since it seems the e line has changed the GS1k and PS1k quite a bit I don’t think anyone has heard both of them yet. Comparisons to the older models might not be accurate anymore. e.g.: GS1k has recessed mids but it seems the e series brings them closer to the forefront, like the old PS1k. And then, the new PS1ke is apparently a better, more accurate performer with soundstage and bass response than the older one.

The PS1000’s weight with the default headband can be an issue if you wear them for many hours. But it’s not a huge issue. Just a bit of pressure at the top of the head. the side cushions are fine since they only touch the sides of your head, not your ears.  The pressure on the top of the head is relieved by getting a third party headband from turbulent labs or a thicker headphone cover for the existing headband.

The GS1000i/e, as I think you may already know, has zero weight issues. very light and comfortable.

If you do get a chance to hear both the ps1ke and gs1ke as a demo, please come back and tell us :)

Thanks for commenting on me.  Sadly there is no way I can demo both pairs where I live.  I can only order them sadly.  

If the GS1000e has more forward mids then that is a good thing for my book (with the hope that it doesn't lose the soundtage).  Also I'm glad that the PS1000e has improvements over the original one.  It is just the PS500 as it is bugs me after a little while due to the weight and well for the price of the PS1000e you can get a GS1000e and a RS1e, food for thought. 

Luckily I can make up my mind after a little while.  I can go for either the GS1000e or PS1000e no problem.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back