Grado e Series
Aug 30, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #1,667 of 6,729
Ah, I must have angered the gods by deviating from my plan and getting the 225e rather than holding out for the PS-500e.  FedEx tracking said it was delivered this morning and left at front door.  No package 
confused.gif
.  Naturally this happens with headphones and not with all the other Amazon crap I really don't care about.  I wonder how many regular FedEx drivers are off this holiday weekend and it is the backup guys.  Ok, good thoughts, honest mistake, blah.  I was really looking forward to hearing them this weekend.  Makes me want to buy things from a real store.  I wish Amazon would give you the option of requesting a signature.  Rant over
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,668 of 6,729
Ah, I must have angered the gods by deviating from my plan and getting the 225e rather than holding out for the PS-500e.  FedEx tracking said it was delivered this morning and left at front door.  No package :confused: .  Naturally this happens with headphones and not with all the other Amazon crap I really don't care about.  I wonder how many regular FedEx drivers are off this holiday weekend and it is the backup guys.  Ok, good thoughts, honest mistake, blah.  I was really looking forward to hearing them this weekend.  Makes me want to buy things from a real store.  I wish Amazon would give you the option of requesting a signature.  Rant over :veryevil: .    

Could it have been left with a neighbour? They often do this in the UK. Or worryingly, they did leave them on the step and someone has helped themselves to a five finger discount:fearful:

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,669 of 6,729
FedEx here in the States doesn't leave the package purposely with neighbors.  I've been home all morning so I don't think anybody could have stole it.  In fact, I heard a large FedEx-type truck outside then a faint knock at the door.  They often leave stuff with no door bell ring or knock.  Nothing was there.  I had a sick feeling upon closing the door but still had hope until the tracking info updated and said it had been left at front door.        

EDIT:  Neighbor just brought it to me.  Mis-delivered.  Stars re-aligned.  The faint knocking was the driver knocking on my neighbors condo below.  These audiophile ears are really paying off 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Could it have been left with a neighbour? They often do this in the UK. Or worryingly, they did leave them on the step and someone has helped themselves to a five finger discount:fearful:

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #1,672 of 6,729
Congratulations.  I looked at your profile and don't have any experience with your headphones so I can't make a good comparison.  Others here are way more qualified to speak of the Grados.  I will say what I like about Grados is their sound signature, which is warm (not too dark), open, airy, smooth yet detailed, and very good emphasis on the midrange.  Instrument separation on the 225e is very good as well.  Very close to "live" as one can get with headphones.  Maybe even better with a tube amp?  

Doing just quick comparison between the SR-80e and SR-225e does in fact highlight how good the SR-80e is.  I think the SR-80e gets you about 80-90% of the experience to be had with the 225e.  Maybe even closer.  The 225's mids have a touch more palpability and the tone of the 225 sounds slightly more accurate or maybe just to my liking.  A bit more bite on guitar plucking which I like.  Maybe as the 225 settles in more the differences will get more stark, but for now the SR-80e ain't too shabby.  225e mids are slightly more forward and the focus better than the SR-80.  I will be using the 225e a lot more than the 80e, but the 80e is no slouch.  I could be wrong.  I have only been listening an hour or so.  I'm in the honeymoon phase.

The Grados remind me of my favorite jam bands, a fun and relaxing experience.  Kind of nice in a world of serious headphone gear.     

Quote:
  That's funny I just decided today to get the Grado Prestige Series SR225e Headphones...I know it's early but how do they sound??  ♫♫

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,673 of 6,729
I won't pretend like I know what I'm talking about with Grado's.  I started to look at the 80e and then to the 125e and ended up with the 225e.
I have not yet purchased these, just made a decision to get some Grado's.  It's not like I'm hell bent on getting the 225e's at all. I would appreciate anything you can pass along, negative or positive to help me with my final decision. One thing I am sure about is the "e" series.
Help me!

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,674 of 6,729
  I won't pretend like I know what I'm talking about with Grado's.  I started to look at the 80e and then to the 125e and ended up with the 225e.
I have not yet purchased these, just made a decision to get some Grado's.  It's not like I'm hell bent on getting the 225e's at all. I would appreciate anything you can pass along, negative or positive to help me with my final decision. One thing I am sure about is the "e" series.
Help me!

If their predecessors are any indication (the 225 and 225i), they should be some fine sounding headphones.
smile.gif

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,675 of 6,729
You'll be happy with the 225e, seems to be an excellent all-around headphone.  I'm using them for jazz trios, acoustic guitar performances, rock (of course), electronica, classical, folk, etc.  Although I'm fairly new to Grado, I've tried or owned a lot of the high-end dynamics and orthos.  I'm perfectly happy with the 225e, no regrets.  Overall, the planars are my favorite, but the Grados brought me back to dynamics.  With that said, we're all different.  We'll be looking forward to your opinion on the 225e.    

Quote:
Help me!

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,678 of 6,729
Aug 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,679 of 6,729
  I've haven't owned any Grado's before, so any input good or bad will be appreciated. I realize people are going to recommend what they have just like I would but will still listen to all opinions.

The 2 in question are the Grado Prestige Series SR80e Headphones and the Grado Prestige Series SR125e Headphones.

Thanks, Charlie  ♫ ♫

I would buy the 80 and (L) cushions for them instead of the 125…you can't go wrong.

Reading your post was making me feel sick…I really felt bad for you, as if it was happening to me.
I'm really glad to read the final outcome of your situation, it actually relieved me! Enjoy your new headphones.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,680 of 6,729
I am new to this forum can any one recommend a good pair of closed back headohones for under $150 just to watch movies while my kids are asleep. I would like to either get a pair of Sennheiser or Audio-technica. And maybe I would use them to listen too music also. I just dont know what model in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back