Grado e Series
Aug 29, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #1,636 of 6,729
Has anyone compared any of the "e" series with a pair of magnums? Just curios to see where the magnums hold up in regards to Grados newest headphones...

I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who have a pair of magnums lying around and indulged themselves in one of the newest E cans...

if so, I would be extremely interested in hearing your impression between the two! I myself have a v.4 (maybe v.4.5 even? I forget) magnum driver in limba cups that have certainly withstood the sands of time in regards to me continuing to prefer them over any other headphones I've ever heard...

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,637 of 6,729
So after i returned my second pair of faulty ps500e's i talked to my headphone supplier about the unacceptable condition of the headphones and they told me that their store model and others had the dirty looking etching as well. I'm assuming it must be a dodgy batch of cans that they received or something. Anyway i ended up asking for store credit and bought another brand, i figure i'll wait a while and hopefully whatever the issue grado has will be resolved and i'll grab a pair from a future batch.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,638 of 6,729
Ok, the Grado journey has really begun 
tongue.gif

1st Grado:  Grado 225i w/ wood cups and wire mesh grill
2nd Grado:  Grado 80e
3rd Grado:  Just orderded the 225e.  I know I said "eye on the prize [PS-500e]", but.....I don't quite want to spend the money on the PS500e knowing I am going on vacation soon. Yet, after hearing how good the SR-80e is I am craving just a tad bit more refinement that will come from the 225e.  iDSD Micro + 225e + vacation = fun, fun, fun.  Another $100 for the 325e didn't really cross my mind.  If it was a $50 I may have done it
wink.gif
4th Grado:  Future, hasn't taken place yet but will likely be PS500e

Resistance is really futile!  Am I really fooling myself in thinking that I'm not going to try the 125e and 325e at some point in my own lifetime?  

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,639 of 6,729
What was the problem with your PS500e, may I ask, because with Grado, some problems are considered ''normal''.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,641 of 6,729
How's the background hiss or noise floor with 225 and Lyr 2?  

I am a fan of tube amps so may eventually pair these Grados with one.  Anybody got suggestions on a sub-$500 tube amp that is a good match with 225e and eventually PS-500?  Lyr is certainly a nice budget amp.  

Quote:

Good choice!

The 225e are really AMAZING with my Schiit Lyr 2.

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #1,644 of 6,729

I actually paired my PS1K's with the Lyr ( not the 2) because I wanted a high current amp for them + tubes. I put some NOS Siemens E88CC/6922 tubes in and it sound great! However prior to starting play there is a very slight noise floor (even with the stock tubes) which can be heard, otherwise I don't hear the noise floor while the music is playing, or in-between tracks.  

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,645 of 6,729
  I actually paired my PS1K's with the Lyr ( not the 2) because I wanted a high current amp for them + tubes. I put some NOS Siemens E88CC/6922 tubes in and it sound great! However prior to starting play there is a very slight noise floor (even with the stock tubes) which can be heard, otherwise I don't hear the noise floor while the music is playing, or in-between tracks.  

on either gain setting ??
i noticed noise with a pair or two of tubes when i had my lyr, other tubes i had were silent

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,648 of 6,729
Last week I went to audition both 225e and 325e and I liked the 325 better so I got them. I think the metal housing really makes a difference.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,649 of 6,729
Aug 30, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,650 of 6,729
I'm completely unacquainted with Grado's, but after perusing this thread, I can't help but feel I made a mistake by ordering a pair of SR125e's, which have not yet arrived. Most people here have said that the SR 80s should be the first stop unless one is able to afford the jump to the SR225. Would you recommend I just send back the 125's when they arrive and go down to the 80s?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

I auditioned all but the very most costly Grados (i-series only); I could hear the differences from each one to the next, and felt that the basic sound exhibited transitions (rather than just linear improvements) from one type of cup material to another, i.e. going from plastic bodies to metal to wooden ones. I also find that there is a significant improvement with my new little tube headphone amplifier (Bravo Audio Ocean). I am itching to compare my RS1i’s to a pair of PS500e’s, with and without the tube amp. But that will have to wait for a business trip to northern San Diego County. The 325’s were very good, very detailed, but a trifle harsh or sharp sounding to me. The 225’s are very nice headphones. Right out of the box my RS1i’s didn’t sound right—they needed to be used for a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back