Grado e Series
Aug 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,623 of 6,729
  i find the PS-1000e is the best Grado headphone ever, have owned many different Grado's before.The new e is much better than the older PS-1000,very balanced smooth with great soundstage it's actually the first Grado where i am really impressed.I prefer fat tube amps with this phone, SS amps are not bad but tubes are better.Somehow this phone needs current i have to turn the volume up to the same level as with HD-800 to get the same volume.
This is the first Grado which plays also great on loud levels very clean with wide soundstage on par with HD-800.PRat is great and instruments and vocals are very close to real life ,more realistic than with any other phone.I rate the PS-1000e with the 300B OTL tube amp as the finest headphone experience .

Another mini review of the PS1000e that makes me want to trade up from the PS1000. argh, my wallet. good post!

I've now read three PS1k v PS1ke comparisons online and they all make a point noting better imaging and a more balanced sound (this has been detailed as flatter bass response in the other reviews). 

They are pretty close to the old PS1k... I almost got the PS1k instead because it was being clearanced at a reasonable price... but I felt the GS1ke was close and a little more polite up top...

that's really interesting. GS1ke more polite up top than the PS1000. Goes to show how much of an evolution the GS line has made. I gotta hear one :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,624 of 6,729
I'm enjoying my SR-80e but naturally I'm already thinking about the next step :)  I had the 225i at one point and really liked it.  The only reason for maybe not getting the 225e is to try more flavors of the Grado lineup (125/325) or if I can fight all temptation just hold off onto until I'm ready to purchase PS500.  Trying to be a responsible hobbyist, but hard to just not plunk down the CC for the PS500 or PS1000 and worry about the finances later.    

Quote:
  I love my SR225i so the SR225e would be good if you're on a budget. The PS500e is better than it. I also heard an RS2i with the jumbo G-pads at a head-fi meet a few years back and it was surprisingly good. I guess that combo works because the RS2i isn't as bright as the RS1i. Don't have any extensive hearing time with that though so don't get the RS2e + G-pads unless you audition them.

I'm not sure the RS1e is a good buy anymore if the GS1000e is actually significantly improved from the GS1000i. My local shop refused to open a GS1000e for the headphone wall, stating that their demo GS1000i is close enough.  ~_~

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,625 of 6,729
I'm happy for you Lyu, I'm sur you'll love the SR225e, I think that the SR80, the SR225, and the RS1, are the three headphones that represent the most what people call ''the Grado sound'',

I've been there WNBC, after two week with the PS500, I had to hear the PS1000, and I'm glad I did, but to be honest I knew the day would come when Grado would introduce a new version. And trading up at this price point, is far cry from switching a pair of SR80i for the SR80e, hundreds of dollars are at stake.

My last posts have lacked my usual witty humour so, a priest and a Rabbai are in a row boat....Awwh! sorry, I got nothing!.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #1,626 of 6,729
One issue with the previous PS1000 is that the heavy earcups would not stay in place but instead slide down the headband while being worn. I had to make my own aluminum rodblocks with a locking thumb screw to keep them in place. (think HP1000 style) Hopefully I will not have any issues with the lighter weight Mahogany cups of the GS1Ke.

One thing I really loved about my original sr-225 was the midrange on vocals and electric guitars. I think I even liked it a little better than the RS1i with some music.

Aug 28, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,627 of 6,729
a small update, the Grado PS-1000e is absolutely wonderful with SS amps the Linnenberg combo sounds better than my 300B tube amp which has a little bit thickness in midrange with Grado.I recommend SS amps with PS e.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,628 of 6,729
I haven't thought too much about DACs/amps with Grados because they sound good with even my phone.  I've always been a fan of tube amps, esp. when I had some Decware products.  The main problem was their amps were too powerful for something like the 225i so I sold off the Grado.  Too much hiss.  With the tube amps there might be too much thickness with the PS-series or does it depend on the tube amp type (OTL, etc.)?  Since I haven't dabbled in the high end Grado headphones yet I've been slow to read all the Grado threads.  

If anybody in the Seattle area has a PS-500 or PS-1000 and wants to hear it with my iFi DSD Micro we can hook up in October.  The downside is that hearing a PS-500 almost guarantees that the buying process is sped up.     

Quote:
  a small update, the Grado PS-1000e is absolutely wonderful with SS amps the Linnenberg combo sounds better than my 300B tube amp which has a little bit thickness in midrange with Grado.I recommend SS amps with PS e.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,629 of 6,729
  ^Thanks.  Eye on the prize now.  

Would anybody not take a $350 PS-500i over a $600 PS-500e?  Just thinking about what I would do if I came across a used PS-500 in excellent condition.  I believe one recently sold for that much in the for sale forum.

I would be all over the PS-500, for sure!

I ordered the SR225e, and they arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying them out. 

Congratulations!
Are thee for you or a family member?

One issue with the previous PS1000 is that the heavy earcups would not stay in place but instead slide down the headband while being worn. I had to make my own aluminum rodblocks with a locking thumb screw to keep them in place. (think HP1000 style) Hopefully I will not have any issues with the lighter weight Mahogany cups of the GS1Ke.

One thing I really loved about my original sr-225 was the midrange on vocals and electric guitars. I think I even liked it a little better than the RS1i with some music.

Nice job!
I go to the local hobby shop and get chrome 1/8" shaft collars for all my Grados, and lock them in position above the rod block so they can't slide down.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,630 of 6,729
I’m new here and posted a few days ago inquiring about the GS1000i vs. GS1000e.  I was attracted to this particular model given what I’ve read about soundstage and the lightweight design.  The only other Grado product I have experience with is the in-ear GR10 so can’t say I’m that familiar with “the Grado sound” with full size headphones.  For the past couple of years I’ve been using a Denon ah-d5000, and more recently also a HiFiMan HE-500.  I’m not a fan of the latter but really enjoy the Denons. 

So I’ve just spent a little time with both the GS1000i and GS1000e.  Both are new with no break-in time, so I know it’s probably too early to judge.  However, my initial impression is that, yes, there is clearly a difference between the “i”s and the “e”s.  I first started with the “i”s and while the soundstage was large and they are quite detailed, I was very underwhelmed by the bass.  I know I’m just used to the bass heavy Denon’s, so I figure it will take some time to adjust.  Still, my initial reaction was that they were going back in the box and I’d be delighted by the “e”s given what I’ve read about them.  It was obvious right away with the “e”s that bass was “heavier” than the “i”s and that vocals seemed more upfront.  The “e”s, to me, weren’t as wide in their presentation. 

The more I was going back and forth between the two, the more I noticed there seemed to be more detail with the “i”s than with the “e”s… the added bass seems to “muddy” some of the detail.  This was happening from one recording to another.

Again, I realize it’s way too early to judge, but how much should I expect either of these to change as they break in?  I’m currently enjoying the “i”s more as they sound different enough from my Denons that the two provide very unique listening experiences, whereas I feel the “e”s start to get closer to the Denons.

Anyway, wanted to share what I’m experiencing even though it sounds like I’m out of sync with most others here.  Maybe more time will change my mind. BTW, I’m testing listening to vinyl run through a Hovland tube pre-amp to a Bryston headphone amp.

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,631 of 6,729
  I’m new here and posted a few days ago inquiring about the GS1000i vs. GS1000e.  I was attracted to this particular model given what I’ve read about soundstage and the lightweight design.  The only other Grado product I have experience with is the in-ear GR10 so can’t say I’m that familiar with “the Grado sound” with full size headphones.  For the past couple of years I’ve been using a Denon ah-d5000, and more recently also a HiFiMan HE-500.  I’m not a fan of the latter but really enjoy the Denons. 

So I’ve just spent a little time with both the GS1000i and GS1000e.  Both are new with no break-in time, so I know it’s probably too early to judge.  However, my initial impression is that, yes, there is clearly a difference between the “i”s and the “e”s.  I first started with the “i”s and while the soundstage was large and they are quite detailed, I was very underwhelmed by the bass.  I know I’m just used to the bass heavy Denon’s, so I figure it will take some time to adjust.  Still, my initial reaction was that they were going back in the box and I’d be delighted by the “e”s given what I’ve read about them.  It was obvious right away with the “e”s that bass was “heavier” than the “i”s and that vocals seemed more upfront.  The “e”s, to me, weren’t as wide in their presentation. 

The more I was going back and forth between the two, the more I noticed there seemed to be more detail with the “i”s than with the “e”s… the added bass seems to “muddy” some of the detail.  This was happening from one recording to another.

Again, I realize it’s way too early to judge, but how much should I expect either of these to change as they break in?  I’m currently enjoying the “i”s more as they sound different enough from my Denons that the two provide very unique listening experiences, whereas I feel the “e”s start to get closer to the Denons.

Anyway, wanted to share what I’m experiencing even though it sounds like I’m out of sync with most others here.  Maybe more time will change my mind. BTW, I’m testing listening to vinyl run through a Hovland tube pre-amp to a Bryston headphone amp.

i bought my gs1000i used, it was already broken in, and the gs1000e i bought new, and it took about 50 or so hours to really bloom.
i didn't have them both at the same time, but as i listen to my gs1000e's now, through my bryston bha-1, the bass is tight, fast clean. mids fleshed out, and the treble is where the main improvement is ove the "i". the "i" to me, could sound a tad hard at times, not painful or screaching, just a little ragged. which at first i perceived as detail, but it could lead to listening fatigue
from time to time, especially with bright recordings
the gs1e sweetens the top end, smooths it out, while still having nice detail,
i love mine

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,632 of 6,729
Sorry to hear you have had problems with the cabling. Having owned and used extensively quite a few different models of Grado over the past 15 years I have never had an issue with any of them. That includes a vintage RS1 that is one of my main go to phones. I do generally take care with neatening the cable when ipack them between listening sessions. The i series from the SR225 on up also have had a substantially heavier cable than the earlier versions and will undoubtably continue through with the new e series. Being a hobbyist who has preached the gospel of headphone listening I have quite a large number of friends who also own Grados from entry level on up. Believe me I would be the first to hear if they had any issues. If you like PM me and I can send photos of how I package the various models I have, maybe they might help you reconsider your position. I currently own the e series version of the SR60 and comparing it to the i version was an ear opener. I will be looking to add another PS500 in the next month or so.

Regards.... :cool:

I own the Sr325is and an original Grado case and have alwaus wondered about the best way to store them. I tend to try to unwind any twists in the driver cables (above the y) and then roll the rest around four fingers and stash in the space left over in the case below the headband. I've often wondered if there is a "proper" way to do this.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,634 of 6,729
Aside from my gloryfied dumbells, sorry, I mean my PS1000, I store all my Grados on home made stands, and roll the cable losely making about 3 loops about 8'' in diameter. And because they're so light, I can store my Bushmills X on a $5 banana stand without the risk of damaging the leather on the headband, wich by the way, is THE, most comfortable of any Grados. I know that that's not saying much, but still, we have to give crédits where it's due.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,635 of 6,729
Writing about sliding earcups gave me an idea, and for those of you who liked my mod to make Grado headbands more comfortable, where I use a heavy flow, feminine hygyene maxi pad, (you can use a lighter days pad too depending on how much hair you have left up north).

I did this mod on my PS1000, but it will work on any Grados, First, just to be on the safe side, cover the earcups with cardboard or something similar, so that the sparks from the arc welder don't damage them. and I would also recommend, having an fire extinguisher nearby, just in case the cardboard would catch on fire, DO NOT THROW WATER AT IT, I repeat, DO NOT THROW WATER AT IT, because doing so, would obviously void the warranty.

Keep in mind that I am a certified moro...welder,but if you send me your headphones I will gladly modify them for you. The cost is, $1300ish, and I will ship them back to you within 3 days, to a year and a halph ish, Also, keep in mind that if I don't like the pads that you have on your headphone, I will burn them, and throw them in the garbage.

I will put on my new and improved earpads, wich are diped in fresh longitudinally pressed exotic snake oïl, and then cured using a very special process.

Seriously though, JayF, don't question yourself too much, I've learned a long time ago, that when you get to a certain level, we are no longer talking about better or improved, but more about, different and side steps. I have went on record stating that I prefer the Bushmills X, to the much loved, (and rightly so) RS1i.

Next week, I'm going to be facing the same dilema, when I'll be comparing my beloved PS1000, to the new ''e'' version, stay tuned!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back