Grado e Series
Aug 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,336 of 6,729
Aug 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #1,337 of 6,729
  yup, never ending, ever maddening !!
i did keep the bryston bha-1, it helps fill the void ! lol

I really like the BHA-1....I'm a bit of a Bryston fan-boy. They're a great Canadian audio company just down the highway from me in Toronto (they're in Peterborough). I've been very happy with my BDA-2 DAC.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,338 of 6,729
  I really like the BHA-1....I'm a bit of a Bryston fan-boy. They're a great Canadian audio company just down the highway from me in Toronto (they're in Peterborough). I've been very happy with my BDA-2 DAC.

Great taste, MH.

BHA-1 is a lifer for me. Drives everything with authority. If you think YOU are a Bryston FB, you haven't heard me yet!  imo, it's the world's finest headamp -- designed by hard-core engineers who know audio electronics, no marketing b.s., and they come out with new products only when true advances in electronics and SQ are made, not for trivial improvements to maximize sales.

off to slumber, tiring day in the mines....

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,339 of 6,729
  and i just sold mine, along with a pair of sylvania triple black plates, which i'll regret too i'm sure

and I'm hanging onto mine, even though I have the Pinnacle.
Just the perfect amp for Grados, IME

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #1,340 of 6,729

G-cushions don't give me excessive treble at all.  But then, I listen at pretty moderate volume.

I spent about two weeks with the RS1i, and actually was pretty ticked off at how much the 225i could elevate to the RS1i sound, considering the difference in price.

IMO, the RS1i is the most over-rated headphone I have ever heard (and I'm a pretty staunch Grado fan).

That being the case, much respect to those who love the RS1...

i do agree 100% that the 225 is better dollar for dollar, and to me, it is the champion in the price/performance game for grado's

I agree with this staement....price/performance...the 225 is tough to beat

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,341 of 6,729

Great taste, MH.

BHA-1 is a lifer for me. Drives everything with authority. If you think YOU are a Bryston FB, you haven't heard me yet!  imo, it's the world's finest headamp -- designed by hard-core engineers who know audio electronics, no marketing b.s., and they come out with new products only when true advances in electronics and SQ are made, not for trivial improvements to maximize sales.

off to slumber, tiring day in the mines....

the bha-1 is the first solid state amp i've thought i could live with, i've always had tubes, always !
and i was very impressed with the ease of using the warranty.
my bha-1 developed a noisy volume pot, (its an older model, serial #002)
i sent it to vermont at my expense, justin cleaned it up, they paid to ship it back, and replaced the well traveled box .
and i have that warranty coverage for 18 more years ! lol, can't beat that with a stick

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #1,342 of 6,729

the bha-1 is the first solid state amp i've thought i could live with, i've always had tubes, always !
and i was very impressed with the ease of using the warranty.
my bha-1 developed a noisy volume pot, (its an older model, serial #002)
i sent it to vermont at my expense, justin cleaned it up, they paid to ship it back, and replaced the well traveled box .
and i have that warranty coverage for 18 more years ! lol, can't beat that with a stick

bryston takes great care of its owners. I had a hyper-gain on mine, and emailed tanner to ask for adjustment. he called mike pickett who then arranged circuit diagrams for my dealer here in the west. adjusted my gain in less than 3 hrs. in and out. now I can listen to it at around 12 noon on the dial, at high gain, whereas before I couldn't go past 930.

glad you kept your bha-1 jay. it's undervalued and in a way, that's good. always use balanced throughout if possible, from a bal out of a dac to the headphone. just smoother dynamics for rock and symphonies.

off to work.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,343 of 6,729

I agree with this staement....price/performance...the 225 is tough to beat

+1. yeah, 225i and 80i for max value/performance.

recommended Grado trajectory for newbies:
80i --> 225i --> PS500 -->(cash permitting) GS1000i

I like RS1i, but it doesn't enthrall me as much as the 500 and G1Ki. Still a nice sounding can with a good amp like WA6 or Soloist.

haven't heard the PS1000e yet. But Levi's recent review of it used descriptors that, funny enough, I could easily apply to my 2-ch full system!!

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #1,344 of 6,729
recommended Grado trajectory for newbies:
80i --> 225i --> PS500 -->(cash permitting) GS1000i

I don't think it matters so much what drivers are used when we're talking about SR and RS so long as they're put in wood cups. GS and PS, however, have a different tuning and I would consider them separate subset. People should definitely try them, but I don't consider them a linear extension of the SR series.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,345 of 6,729
I don't think it matters so much what drivers are used when we're talking about SR and RS so long as they're put in wood cups. GS and PS, however, have a different tuning and I would consider them separate subset. People should definitely try them, but I don't consider them a linear extension of the SR series.

Definitely not linear. I was thinking more in terms of musical enjoyment per dollar. Not sonic genealogy.
cheers,

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,346 of 6,729

I can't agree here, the 325s are a completely different beast compared to 225s. If you put both in the same wooden cups they wouldn't sound similar at all.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,347 of 6,729
I can't agree here, the 325s are a completely different beast compared to 225s. If you put both in the same wooden cups they wouldn't sound similar at all.

Have you tried it? I read about a guy who made a hybrid 225/325 (one driver from each) in the stock cups that came with one of them (don't remember which) and reported that he was shocked to find that it sounded precisely the same as the original non-hybrid pair. Last time I had John Grado on the phone, I mentioned the idea of swapping those two sets of drivers to test whether they're different and he stopped short. I used to think the drivers were very different, but now I think the cups are really what's changing the sound.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,348 of 6,729
Just compared 325is vs. 325e. I think the treble in e's were bit harsher compared to is but that might be because the e was straight from the box and  the is was a demo pair wich have had obiviously many hours of playing behind them. Also listened GS1000e's. Liked lots of them but sadly them are out of my budget. My next Grados will be something between 325 - RS1. Can't decide yet. I'm hoping to read more user experiences and some professional tests from new e-versions.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,349 of 6,729
Curious has anyone heard the RS2e yet, and if so what their impressions are compared to the RS2i.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,350 of 6,729
Have you tried it? I read about a guy who made a hybrid 225/325 (one driver from each) in the stock cups that came with one of them (don't remember which) and reported that he was shocked to find that it sounded precisely the same as the original non-hybrid pair. Last time I had John Grado on the phone, I mentioned the idea of swapping those two sets of drivers to test whether they're different and he stopped short. I used to think the drivers were very different, but now I think the cups are really what's changing the sound.

I heard both woodied 325s and woodied 225s and while the wood cups did soften the 325s some, they still sounded nothing alike imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back