Grado e Series
Aug 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,261 of 6,729

interesting, joseph.

the cups are deeper in the e? if so, one would expect a wider stage, like GS1000i.

Just to clarify: having owned both, the cups (cushions) are deeper in the RS1i;
shallower in the e.

[I posted some side-by-side pics in this thread,
the difference in depth is significant and obvious.]

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,263 of 6,729

Just to clarify: having owned both, the cups (cushions) are deeper in the RS1i;
shallower in the e.

[I posted some side-by-side pics in this thread,
the difference in depth is significant and obvious.]

Can you give us a link to the pics again? I cant seem to find it

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,264 of 6,729
I'm thinking of getting the RS1e's for it's apparent "smoothness", forgiving of poor recordings, while being fun/musical; all that. I have the LCD2 and find it a bit too harsh, and I'm not too into the puny soundstage. If accuracy makes it sound terrible than that's not what I want, in other words. Would the RS1e or RS1i be a good fit?

I find actually, that I prefer listening to music on $400 Logitech surround speakers (nice big smooth, energetic/entertaining sound and everything sounds smooth/good) than the LCD2 as a result.

I listen to lossless video game music OST's, which comprises of chiptune music, EDM, orchestral, rock/metal, etc. as well as some 70's prog rock.

edit: forgot to mention the LCD2 is only the hi-fi headphone I've tried. I have nowhere to try out audiophile headphones unfortunately.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,265 of 6,729
  I'm thinking of getting the RS1e's for it's apparent "smoothness", forgiving of poor recordings, while being fun/musical; all that. I have the LCD2 and find it a bit too harsh, and I'm not too into the puny soundstage. If accuracy makes it sound terrible than that's not what I want, in other words. Would the RS1e or RS1i be a good fit?

I find actually, that I prefer listening to music on $400 Logitech surround speakers (nice big smooth, energetic/entertaining sound and everything sounds smooth/good) than the LCD2 as a result.

I listen to lossless video game music OST's, which comprises of chiptune music, EDM, orchestral, rock/metal, etc. as well as some 70's prog rock.

edit: forgot to mention the LCD2 is only the hi-fi headphone I've tried. I have nowhere to try out audiophile headphones unfortunately.

Which version of the LCD-2 do you have? It's hard to imagine that you'd find the RS1e smoother and less harsh than the LCD-2, as my impression of the LCD-2 (rev 1) that I have is that it's anything but harsh-- almost to a fault, in fact. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #1,266 of 6,729

How old is your LCD-2? There is a very high chance your LCD-2 is bad one that needs warranty repair, or something is deadly wrong with your chain. You may want to check warranty period of the headphones.

What amp are you using to plug the headphones?

Plus: Assuming your LCD-2 is not a faulty, you won't be able to listen to RS1e for more than thirty seconds.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,267 of 6,729
Originally Posted by Xero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the LCD2 and find it a bit too harsh, and I'm not too into the puny soundstage.

Ouch. This is a first -- LCD2 harsh and puny stage? 
Bit my tongue after reading this.

What type of music are u listening to, and how loudly? Amp mismatch? Drivers clogged by dust?
Excess vol leads to distortion on ANY 'phone.
Poorly recorded tracks will sound bad, and no HP can fix them.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,268 of 6,729

interesting, joseph.

the cups are deeper in the e? if so, one would expect a wider stage, like GS1000i.

The discussion wasn't about the depth of the cup…its about the soundstage between the RS1i/e.

@joseph69: Well, just wanting to be clear on this, so I saw that CanadianMaestro posted a reply to you,
which I quoted just above.

"interesting, joseph.

the cups are deeper in the e? if so, one would expect a wider stage, like GS1000i."

Though that post was as much a question as an answer (at least to me), IMO it could
still cause doubts on this issue - especially to people who look at this thread for
the first time.  

Just trying to be clear; with apologies if appropriate.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #1,270 of 6,729

@joseph69: Well, just wanting to be clear on this, so I saw that CanadianMaestro posted a reply to you,
which I quoted just above.

"interesting, joseph.

the cups are deeper in the e? if so, one would expect a wider stage, like GS1000i."

Though that post was as much a question as an answer (at least to me), IMO it could
still cause doubts on this issue - especially to people who look at this thread for
the first time.  

Just trying to be clear; with apologies if appropriate.

No apology necessary. The main question was about the sound-stage between the RS1i/e…and CM just mentioned the cups were deeper, so were both saying we would have thought the sound-stage should sound wider on th (e) version than the (i) version due to the cups being deeper.
beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,271 of 6,729
I am using the rs1e with large cushion.they are just great with that. I have both rs1i and e and decide to keep both since they r very different from each other. You can't buy I anymore.better keep them.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #1,272 of 6,729

If you find the soundstage small on the lcd 2 and you want something bigger....then I would pass on the RS1 and move on to something else.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,274 of 6,729
I am using the rs1e with large cushion.they are just great with that. I have both rs1i and e and decide to keep both since they r very different from each other. You can't buy I anymore.better keep them.

The G-cush?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #1,275 of 6,729

If you find the soundstage small on the lcd 2 and you want something bigger....then I would pass on the RS1 and move on to something else.

That's not my experience.  The sound stage of the RS-1i is bigger than the LCD-3 and significantly bigger than the LCD-2.  Most orthos have small to medium sized sound stage.  The LCD-3 is the only one that I have heard that offers more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back