Grado e Series
Aug 4, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,231 of 6,729
  So here is my review of RS-1e. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724510/grado-labs-new-e-series-headphones-and-loaner-program/105#post_10767479

For those who are too lazy to click the link, here is the conclusion.

Nice review, but you made me not want to buy them anymore
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,232 of 6,729
After another week or so, I think I'm going to trade in my pair of GS1000es for an LCD-2. Maybe my expectations were just too high,and after auditioning the GS1000is numerous times out of just my smartphone, I felt the changes they made either were in the wrong direction or just not right for me.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #1,233 of 6,729
"New Coke", anyone?

Actually, I felt that the RS1e's were slightly better than the 1i's:
a touch warmer, more detailed, slightly bigger soundstage.
But as noted in this thread and others, something's going on
with the 1e's ear cushions > just too uncomfortable.  Plus,
IMO, the build quality of the 1e was not as good.  

So overall, the 1i's were the keepers for me.

I like Grado headphones, and I like the company.
I hope they sort this stuff out quickly.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #1,234 of 6,729
  Thank's for posting those nice pics Jay.

Have you ever heard the, now vintage first gen GS1000, and if so how do they compare with the new ''e'' model, and, tell me, with 12 conductors isn't the cable a little stiff?

i've ad both the original gs, and and tge gs1lE, there aren't broken in yet(for those believers")
0 think the E's are indeed better than the previous modes, but i'm not what the improvements are at the momoment

i've owned the rs500, the rs1i, the gs's, and the ps1000, dollar for dollar, these are my favorite 
grado
and i do include the ps1000"k" or "e"
are the ps1k's better, of course , but $700 US better, im not sure, my associated gear could  a limiting factor.
i was originally #5 on the gs1k"e" list, but i backed out, and bought a pair, i was only kidding myself!!!

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,235 of 6,729

i've ad both the original gs, and and tge gs1lE, there aren't broken in yet(for those believers")
0 think the E's are indeed better than the previous modes, but i'm not what the improvements are at the momoment

i've owned the rs500, the rs1i, the gs's, and the ps1000, dollar for dollar, these are my favorite 
grado
and i do include the ps1000"k" or "e"
are the ps1k's better, of course , but $700 US better, im not sure, my associated gear could  a limiting factor.
i was originally #5 on the gs1k"e" list, but i backed out, and bought a pair, i was only kidding myself!!!

The law of diminishing returns my friend :wink:

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,236 of 6,729
After another week or so, I think I'm going to trade in my pair of GS1000es for an LCD-2. Maybe my expectations were just too high,and after auditioning the GS1000is numerous times out of just my smartphone, I felt the changes they made either were in the wrong direction or just not right for me.

+1.  The LCD-2 is an amazing headphone when balanced. It kicks the hell out of any genre of music.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,237 of 6,729
  I was all excited when i got up this morning as my new pair of PS500e's were being delivered. Put them on and played some of my favourite tracks and they sounded slightly off for some reason, then I finally realised that the left and right channels were switched around, whoever assembled this pair has put the drivers on the wrong sides. I had a look at the plastic caps that hold the rods on and they look to be a lot firmer than previous models and despite my best efforts i couldnt get them off. I probably could have if i used more force but i dont want to risk damaging anything.
The headband is also out of shape and i can feel it applies uneven pressure when on my head.
My final complaint is the bad looking etching on the earcups. I dont know if something went wrong when they were doing it or if someone has assembled these with dirty hands but as you can see in the picture there are a few dark patches around the letters which just look horrible.

Anyway this pair will also be going back, i shouldn't be getting badly assembled and dirty headphones for the $850 i spent.

Sorry to read you've really had a run of bad karma. Can you get take-out at a dealer nearby? Inspection before buying?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,240 of 6,729
Aug 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,241 of 6,729
I actually asked them to test the new pair out before sending them and they told me they did, I guess they never checked for correct channels.

Drivers reversed? Simple solution: slide the earcups off the bars, and reverse them, so that now you would wear "R" over L ear, etc. Works for me.

Didn't check the cosmetics, either, it seems.
But...any local dealer there so you can audition before checkin' into the poorhouse?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,243 of 6,729
Thanks for the kind words CanadianMaestro.

I guess that my joke about Grado's final inspection guide dogs getting sloppy,  wasn't as good as I thought it was, I guess I won't be using it in my next comedy show.

But seriously, how can a pair of headphones that look like they were pulled out from a garden like carrots,  make it out the door, it looks like it's going to take a presure washer to get this crud out.

That's all the more reason for me to keep looking for some vintage RS1`.

For the last two nights, I haven't made it passed the 3rd song on Melody Gardot's The Absence CD,(yes, I know, hard drive it where it's at, but I'm old school, I own two RTRs, so.....), it's not that the music isn't good but those pain meds are making it very hard for me to stay awake especially when I'm in such a relaxe state, They say that 3rd time's the charm, we'll see.

To be continued.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,244 of 6,729
I think some time should be given for the proper burn-in of the "e" series headphones... I remember when the "i" series came out, people at first crapped all over them, only to praise them highly after hundreds of hours.

So I'll wait and see what's being said in a couple of months.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,245 of 6,729
After taking off the bagel pads, I've discovered that the gs1000e has the same raised drivers that the rs1e has. What effect do you think this has on the sound quality?

The drivers aren't raised, just the plastic ring that they're mounted in.  Grado told me that the change was only to account for the larger drivers, not anything to do with sound quality.  I assume it doesn't really make a difference.... for instance, despite the bowls being shallower due to the protruding ring, most people feel the RS1e has a wider soundstage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back