Grado e Series
Aug 3, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,216 of 6,729
  you've beeen asking, and i'm delivering , the gs1000e in all its glory !!!

Great photos Jay! Congrats! Any updates on how they sound (especially compared to the GS1000i/GS1000)?

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,217 of 6,729
  Great photos Jay! Congrats! Any updates on how they sound (especially compared to the GS1000i/GS1000)?

well, going from memory(never good) more detail, without the harshness, not overly warm at all(to me)
if you can, audition ASAP !!!

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,219 of 6,729
  Anyone have the RS1e? What kind of music are they good for? I've only heard the SR60e so far and I need some Grado wood.

I just got them about 2 weeks ago. They sound great on all kinds of rock.  Soft, hard, metal, classic.  They aren't bass heavy headphones, but the bass is very clear and smooth.  Maybe wouldn't be so good with hip hop, rap, etc.  But I'm not a big fan so I can't really judge. 

I was listening Radiohead's Kid A last night and it sounded incredible, I was blown away.  

Someone here recommended Casualties of Cool which sound awesome on the RS1e.

I've also listened to Jazz and some female vocals, all sound great.  

I have to say these sounded great right out of the box, no break-in.  They are only getting better as I listen.

I am a very happy RS1e owner, I think they look really great too : )  I would post pictures but my account isn't allowed to for some reason...

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,220 of 6,729
I feel this way about my RS1i's 
beerchug.gif

Congratulations on the RS1e!
You probably can't post photos due to you only having 2 posts…I don't know how many you need though to be able.

Aug 3, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,221 of 6,729
  I feel this way about my RS1i's 
beerchug.gif

Congratulations on the RS1e!
You probably can't post photos due to you only having 2 posts…I don't know how many you need though to be able.

Thanks man, glad to hear someone else feels the same way : )

When I am able to post pictures I will share my setup.  

I also got a little dot I+ which is pairing very well.  Just need to upgrade the stock tubes.  

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,222 of 6,729
  well, going from memory(never good) more detail, without the harshness, not overly warm at all(to me)
if you can, audition ASAP !!!

Thanks Jay! I'll have to get downtown soon hear them!

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,223 of 6,729
I was all excited when i got up this morning as my new pair of PS500e's were being delivered. Put them on and played some of my favourite tracks and they sounded slightly off for some reason, then I finally realised that the left and right channels were switched around, whoever assembled this pair has put the drivers on the wrong sides. I had a look at the plastic caps that hold the rods on and they look to be a lot firmer than previous models and despite my best efforts i couldnt get them off. I probably could have if i used more force but i dont want to risk damaging anything.
The headband is also out of shape and i can feel it applies uneven pressure when on my head.
My final complaint is the bad looking etching on the earcups. I dont know if something went wrong when they were doing it or if someone has assembled these with dirty hands but as you can see in the picture there are a few dark patches around the letters which just look horrible.

Anyway this pair will also be going back, i shouldn't be getting badly assembled and dirty headphones for the $850 i spent.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,227 of 6,729
  I was all excited when i got up this morning as my new pair of PS500e's were being delivered. Put them on and played some of my favourite tracks and they sounded slightly off for some reason, then I finally realised that the left and right channels were switched around, whoever assembled this pair has put the drivers on the wrong sides. I had a look at the plastic caps that hold the rods on and they look to be a lot firmer than previous models and despite my best efforts i couldnt get them off. I probably could have if i used more force but i dont want to risk damaging anything.
The headband is also out of shape and i can feel it applies uneven pressure when on my head.
My final complaint is the bad looking etching on the earcups. I dont know if something went wrong when they were doing it or if someone has assembled these with dirty hands but as you can see in the picture there are a few dark patches around the letters which just look horrible.

Anyway this pair will also be going back, i shouldn't be getting badly assembled and dirty headphones for the $850 i spent.

This is why I returned my RS1e's : not as tricky a situation as your PS500's,
but I remember feeling (and posting) that:

"They just seem thrown together somehow".

and that the build quality of my RS1i's certainly seems superior.

(sorry to be quoting myself
rolleyes.gif
)

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #1,228 of 6,729
I guess that's another pair of headphones that got passed final inspection at Grado Labs, I guess that the guide dogs are getting sloppy.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,229 of 6,729
After taking off the bagel pads, I've discovered that the gs1000e has the same raised drivers that the rs1e has. What effect do you think this has on the sound quality?

I've auditioned the gs1000i many times but I find the gs1000e has a smaller soundstage and the instrument separation isn't quite as dramatic.I haven't A/B tested them, so take this with a grain of salt.

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,230 of 6,729
So here is my review of RS-1e. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724510/grado-labs-new-e-series-headphones-and-loaner-program/105#post_10767479

For those who are too lazy to click the link, here is the conclusion.

4. Conclusion.

Q: Is RS-1e an upgrade from old RS-1?
A: Yes, if flat pads are not in the equation.

Q: Is RS-1e the best in-production Grado heaadphones excluding over-the-ear Grados?
A: No, PS-500 still destroys both old and new RS-1 even with stock pads. But, I am not sure about the change between PS-500 and PS-500e, so this needs more investigations.

Q: Is RS-1e worth to buy (compared to other brands)?
A: This answer has been always same since 2000's for all Grados in general: No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back