Grado e Series
Mar 27, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #4,351 of 6,729
Well, I still need to put a half dozen or so hours on these tubes before I draw any conclusions--from what I've read, anyway--but at this point I actually think the SQ from the Duet HPO is actually better than out of the Little Dot I+ and the iPhone 5S both.  The 5S--> RS2e is really brilliant and sparkly, especially at first, but the treble emphasis makes it less neutral than out of either the LD (with GE JAN5654W tubes and stock op amp) or the Apogee Duet, and the treble is a bit edgy and harsh and this comes out over time.

But right now, there is really great synergy between my Duet (Firewire version) and the RS2e's.  We'll see what happens once the GE tubes have 6-12 hours on them.  Maybe things will change.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  It's very nice right now, with only 1-2 hours on the tubes, but it's just not better than the Duet HPO and it really NEEDS to be for me to go to all the trouble of having a separate headphone amp in the chain.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #4,352 of 6,729
  Yep, you can forget about soundstage with Grado's, but imo this only compliments their sound signature.   x2 for the L pads recommendation, this is really the ideal Grado pad,you will get used to the ear itching after a while.
I own both SR80e and SR325e,and I must say that maybe its my hearing..But after a few months they became much more bassy and less piercing, even too bassy for my liking..I kinda miss the Grado piercing highs magic.   but they still sound good.

I disagree, even though Grado aren't generally known for the size of their sounstage, the GS and PS1000 both have what I consider to be, a big soundstage. A few years ago, I've had the chance to compare my GS1000 with Sennheiser's HD800, and the Grado's soundstage was every bit as wide as the HD800's.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4,353 of 6,729
  I disagree, even though Grado aren't generally known for the size of their sounstage, the GS and PS1000 both have what I consider to be, a big soundstage. A few years ago, I've had the chance to compare my GS1000 with Sennheiser's HD800, and the Grado's soundstage was every bit as wide as the HD800's.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

I would have to agree. I feel the Grado sound-stage is very nice.
Even the RS-1i's sound-stage impresses me enough.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #4,354 of 6,729
  I would have to agree. I feel the Grado sound-stage is very nice.
Even the RS-1i's sound-stage impresses me enough.

I feel the same way, even though the SR and RS series's soundstages aren't as big as those of the 1000's, it's far from being clostrophobic.                                                                                                                           

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #4,355 of 6,729
I have stepped into the Grado universe. I ordered the SR80e today and they arrive Sunday. Im just getting my feet wet. I am not sure why but i have huge fascination with Grado. I will be using my AK100II. I fi like the SR80e's I'm sure i will want to upgrade. $100 was all i had in my music budget this month. I will have to listen right away but i beleive in the magic of burn in. 

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,356 of 6,729
  I have stepped into the Grado universe. I ordered the SR80e today and they arrive Sunday. Im just getting my feet wet. I am not sure why but i have huge fascination with Grado. I will be using my AK100II. I fi like the SR80e's I'm sure i will want to upgrade. $100 was all i had in my music budget this month. I will have to listen right away but i beleive in the magic of burn in. 

Congratulations on the 80e's.
I rediscovered my music collection when listening to my 80i's about 3-1/2 years ago…excellent HP's, especially for the price/performance ratio! Enjoy them.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #4,357 of 6,729
I feel the same way, even though the SR and RS series's soundstages aren't as big as those of the 1000's, it's far from being clostrophobic.                                                                                                                           

The sr and rs models are intimate sounding, they let you get up close and personal just like you're on stage or in the studio jammin with your favourite artists.

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #4,358 of 6,729
The sr and rs models are intimate sounding, they let you get up close and personal just like you're on stage or in the studio jammin with your favourite artists.

+1
For sure!!!
I still enjoy the sound-stage though. 
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #4,359 of 6,729

Thanks for pointing that out for me
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #4,360 of 6,729
I found myself quite torn between the ps500 and ps1000 in regards to soundstage. The big open stage of the ps1k is great and so is the intimate setting of the ps500. I was going to sell my ps500s and get the ps1k but now I'm not so sure, I may have to get both!

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #4,361 of 6,729
Originally Posted by zazex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a little concerned because I didn't like the RS2i's at all.  Very
anemic bass was the main culprit.  I returned them for the RS1i's
with which I've been very pleased for most types of music.

But if the 2e's are 'better' than the 1i's, I feel I''ve got to check them out.

The RS2e is a bit different from the i version. It's less agressive and has a bit more bass than the 2i (but lesser than the RS1i).
The RS1i is better sounding headphones than the 2e, but I prefer the 2e to the 1i.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #4,362 of 6,729
I auditioned the RS2i's at my local hi-fi store, and even given the usual caveat about audio memory and such, I am very sure that the RS2e's sound significantly different than the RS2i's!  I don't trust myself to qualify and flesh out this statement just based on my almost two year old memory of what the 2i's sounded like, but I do trust myself enough to say with a great deal of certainty that the 2e's are different animals than the 2i's.  If you didn't like the 2i's, don't let that deter you from auditioning the 2e's.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #4,363 of 6,729
OK, so my ears are pretty much back to normal.  I'm still careful about listening volume, but I've been listening to the RS2e's for the last couple hours out of both the LD I+ and the Duet, and I have to reaffirm that these are really great headphones.  I'm definitely loving them.  It wasn't just a first impression.  And they are definitely not harsh or sibilant.  Nor is the bass anemic or weak in any way.  Sub bass extension isn't great, but that doesn't present as a lack or deficit at all, it just isn't as impressive as something like the ER-4S's, for example.  But in songs with sub-bass content, the 2e's will respond.  I've checked on a few songs I have that I know have really deep sub bass--songs where the ER-4S's really blew me away in that frequency region.  And the 2e's respond, just not as strongly as cans with really good bass extension.

And, my oh my, don't these headphones just love dynamics and transients!  They really are incredible headphones in this way!  Perhaps its the completely open design, or perhaps it's the low impedance, or perhaps it's the high sensitivity, or perhaps it's something special about the Grado drivers, but for whatever reasons, the fidelity of the 2e's to transients is incredible.  They are really dynamic, lively, clear, intimate, front-row, etc., headphones.

I'm really impressed, and I'm definitely keeping them.

As for the LittleDot I+, I think if I only had the iPhone, I would be impressed and happy, but the Duet seems to have just as good (or better) synergy with the 2e's and seems to be able to drive them just as well (for my listening volumes anyway), so I'll probably be putting it up for sale soon, along with 5 GE JAN tubes, 2 Voshkod tubes, and the LM4562 op amp.

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4,364 of 6,729
well i didnt understand what dynamics and transients means before Jim explained them to me on PM! but yeah, the midrange + transients is what made me ADDICTED to grado sound.

hotdamn! they sound good with japanese songs. i swear no headphone touch my soul better than them. (A lot of headphone sounds better but touching my soul with the songs, only Grado can do them consistently on a regular basis!).

I've never heard the wood art models of Audio-Technica though, so, maybe that is also as good.

the fact that grado doesn't have elevated sub-bass is also a plus in my book, though on this section, i think i'm the opposite of the majority.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,365 of 6,729
  I auditioned the RS2i's at my local hi-fi store, and even given the usual caveat about audio memory and such, I am very sure that the RS2e's sound significantly different than the RS2i's!  I don't trust myself to qualify and flesh out this statement just based on my almost two year old memory of what the 2i's sounded like, but I do trust myself enough to say with a great deal of certainty that the 2e's are different animals than the 2i's.  If you didn't like the 2i's, don't let that deter you from auditioning the 2e's.

I listened to RS2i’s the day before I bought my 2e’s and I much preferred the 2e’s.  They were in two different stores, so I didn’t get to make a direct comparison, but when I heard the 2i’s I wasn’t interested, even with the old-model discount.  The 2i's sounded overly bright and lacking in bass compared to the e version...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back