Grado e Series
Mar 22, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #4,321 of 6,729
Hello all! I have finally been given the Wifey's approval to purchase a pair of the GS1000e or another 1k headphone! I have had my eyes and ears set on the GS1000e for awhile now. I am wanting to know how much burn-in time I should allow for before making a decision on whether or not it is for me?? It's not every day that I can scrounge together this much $ for "another headphone":smiley:. I am sensitive to sibilance and hope that the 'e' series are more neutral than what my experience was with the GS1000i or RS1i. My source is as follows: Mac Mini>Audirvana+>Schiit Wyrd>Peachtree Dac-It-x>Schiit Asgard 2 or the CypherLabs Algorythm Picollo>Grado GS1000e (I'm also considering the AKG K812 or JH Audio Siren Series Angie). Any advice or direction will be most helpful. Thank you my fellow Headfiers! Cheers!

Jude gushed over the Siren series IEMs...just sayin. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #4,322 of 6,729

No worries!

Yeah, based on my initial impressions, I did say that the RS2e's were the best headphone I'd ever heard so far.  But, it takes time to really know for sure, and that time is happening now for me.

I'm finding the treble fatiguing at the moment, but I'm also finding listening to ANY of my headphones fatiguing.  I'm on graveyard shift at the moment, however, and not getting enough sleep, and plus, the control room here at work is noisy as all get-out, and I also find that that fatigues my ears.  So it will probably pass.  I certainly hope so in any event!  But time will tell.

I hope I can assure it will pass.

Only two nights ago I was listening to a couple of my new CD's and thinking, "Why did I buy these?". The music was awful. It was weird because I had been loving listening to the Amazon AutoRip (free MP3) versions of them before the CD's arrived in the post.

Anyway as I said ages ago I am pretty much a constant sinus headache sufferer. (I have other similar issues. Believe me I couldn't be any unluckier.) I was having a bad time of it. Tiredness and headaches and headache exhaustion, cause senses-oversensitivity. The music sounded dis-jointed, harsh, and I couldn't understand the chord progressions. I didn't have the patience to carry on.

Yet next day I listened to the same CD's and was loving them more each listen as you do. The Grados sounded 'on point', and entranced me with lush tones, beefy energy, and startling dynamism.

[Sorry this is off topic folks. However because it explains your headphones are really fine to people, I chose to include it. Anyway I had better hang up my typing gloves for a while. I have been chattering on for ages just recently.]

No worries!

Yeah, based on my initial impressions, I did say that the RS2e's were the best headphone I'd ever heard so far.  But, it takes time to really know for sure, and that time is happening now for me.

I'm finding the treble fatiguing at the moment, but I'm also finding listening to ANY of my headphones fatiguing.  I'm on graveyard shift at the moment, however, and not getting enough sleep, and plus, the control room here at work is noisy as all get-out, and I also find that that fatigues my ears.  So it will probably pass.  I certainly hope so in any event!  But time will tell.

are you using a DAP? have you tried EQ-ing them? im EQ-ing my 325e on my DAP like, 5db down on 7-9 khz lol

I'm listening to the MBP-->Duet-->RS2e chain, and yes, I definitely played around with the EQ last night to see if I could help things or figure out what was going on.  I could take away the bands that were exacerbating things, but then I felt like the sound suffered.  I wanted that material in there, despite the fact that it added to my fatigue.

That was yet another clue that it wasn't the RS2e's, it was (is) me.  As Greenbow surmised, it is in fact a sinus issue--infection or perhaps alergies--and it definitely really sucks.  I hate it when this happens, and it definitely screws with my hearing.  Taking Zyrtec controls the symptoms to a degree, but my hearing is still off, just not as much.  Last time this happened was not too long after I got my iPhone 5S.

Anyway . . . enough said.  At this point I actually don't know if the RS2e's sound better out of the Duet or out of the iPhone 5S, since the harshness I associated with the 5S audio codec was probably due to this issue.  I won't know for days or even a week or two.

And, in the meantime,  no music for me.  Which sucks.  Ah well, my RS2e's sure do look pertty.  :)

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #4,323 of 6,729
I have made the experience that the way I "hear" is extremely dependend on the shape I am in. I have listened to the same song with the same headphone and same source and one day it was fine and the other day the bass was too much or highs too strong. For those days I always have my Alessandro MS-Ulti, which is the most neutral headphone I have. Just give yourself a break and listen to the RS2e again when you have time on a weekend, probably when you got up and enjoy a cup of coffee. If it the highs are than disturbing you, well than it might be serious.... if not enjoy....

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #4,324 of 6,729

I'm listening to the MBP-->Duet-->RS2e chain, and yes, I definitely played around with the EQ last night to see if I could help things or figure out what was going on.  I could take away the bands that were exacerbating things, but then I felt like the sound suffered.  I wanted that material in there, despite the fact that it added to my fatigue.

That was yet another clue that it wasn't the RS2e's, it was (is) me.  As Greenbow surmised, it is in fact a sinus issue--infection or perhaps alergies--and it definitely really sucks.  I hate it when this happens, and it definitely screws with my hearing.  Taking Zyrtec controls the symptoms to a degree, but my hearing is still off, just not as much.  Last time this happened was not too long after I got my iPhone 5S.

Anyway . . . enough said.  At this point I actually don't know if the RS2e's sound better out of the Duet or out of the iPhone 5S, since the harshness I associated with the 5S audio codec was probably due to this issue.  I won't know for days or even a week or two.

And, in the meantime,  no music for me.  Which sucks.  Ah well, my RS2e's sure do look pertty.  :)

It's you and the RS2e to some degree.  Sometimes you just really sensitive to the upper mids and lower treble.  And you begin noticing it more and more and it gets unnerving. To get a better balance in the RS2e sound, try putting some tape over the bowls. It will soften and tame the upper mid and treble and also add some warmth in the mids by adding some upper and mid bass.  If the tape mod works, go to a shoe repair shop and have them make some leather strip to go over the bowls. It looks better than tape. Good luck. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,325 of 6,729
It's you and the RS2e to some degree.  Sometimes you just really sensitive to the upper mids and lower treble.  And you begin noticing it more and more and it gets unnerving. To get a better balance in the RS2e sound, try putting some tape over the bowls. It will soften and tame the upper mid and treble and also add some warmth in the mids by adding some upper and mid bass.  If the tape mod works, go to a shoe repair shop and have them make some leather strip to go over the bowls. It looks better than tape. Good luck. 

does the leather strip from shore repair shop has glue on it or do we need to use double-tape to the bowls ourself?

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,326 of 6,729

does the leather strip from shore repair shop has glue on it or do we need to use double-tape to the bowls ourself?

No glue or adhesive.  Take the bowl pads to the show repair.  Have them size and cut the leather to proper length and sow it to fit the bowl. Make sure it's a snug fit.  Than you can put it on and take it off whenever. Very convenient. Looks better than tape too.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #4,327 of 6,729

sling5s,

Thanks for the advice!  And that goes for previous posts you (and others) have made in response to me.  I'll definitely try out some of the Grado mods, and I'll definitely create a leather strip of proper length and size to use instead of tape, if I like the tape mod.  I'll also think about TTVJ Flats.

But first, this fatigue situation definitely is all me.  No question.  I know the signs and symptoms of this, and that's what's going on.  I can't trust my hearing at all right now.  My eustachian tubes have fluid in them and there is fluid behind the eardrum.  It really screws up a person's hearing!  I'll need to wait until it clears up before I think about modding my RS2e's.  I really really liked them just as they were for the first couple days, so I simply may not need to or want to mod them.

But for now, no listening to music.  So, instead of bringing headphones to work, I'm bringing my 30dB Peltor earmufs.  I put them on for 5-10 minutes at a time to give my ears a break from the noise here.  I also have the Ety ER20 high fidelity ear plugs.  I appreciate the even sound reduction across the spectrum, but I really find them to be uncomfortable, some days more than others.  The small triple flange's for the ER4's are just small enough and soft enough that they're comfortable for me even for long periods.  But the ER20's are made of harder material--or maybe they're larger--but in any case, they are not so comfortable.  But I still carry them with me all the time, especially to movies.  I'm fairly proactive--or maybe paranoid is the right word--about my hearing.  I do not want to lose or damage it!

Has anyone else noticed how freaking loud movie theaters play movies these days?  Or at least some theaters with some movies.  When I saw "Gravity" in the theater the previews were so loud that even other people were uncomfortable with it and someone went out to complain to the management.  I just put in my ER20's right away and left them in for the rest of the previews and movie, but if I hadn't had them, I would have just walked out.  It was that loud.

I'm going to get some of the MusicSafe Classic earplugs by Alpine Hearing Protection next since one reviewer specifically mentioned that they were more comfortable than the Ety's for people with small ear canals.  Or hell, for people with just normal ear canals.  I don't know what the deal is with Etymotic Research, but everyone there must have HUGE ears or something.  Their "large" size ER20's would only fit a Ferengi's ears.

It's also about tinnitus, too.  When I have fluid in my eustachian tubes, I get mild tinnitus and it's really just no fun.  I can easily imagine that having to live with tinnitus all the time would be less than enjoyable!  So again, I'd like to avoid developing that condition!

Grado's are actually nice, in a way, for this, since they are quite enjoyable to listen to at low to moderate volume levels.  You don't need to turn up your music to get that feeling of clarity and impact, and so it combines nicely with taking steps to prevent hearing loss and developing tinnitus in later life.  Of course, if you already have tinnitus, I can imagine that the treble emphasis of (at least some of) the Grado's could exacerbate it!

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4,328 of 6,729

When I quroted $1900 for the PS1000, it wasn't in USD, I live in Canada,

eek.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #4,329 of 6,729
XLR8, I love the "sticker shock" video!

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #4,330 of 6,729
I still wish I knew which headphone to choose out of the SR325e and the RS2e.

I have a feeling I will choose SR325e. I have had my mouse over the 'add to basket' a couple of times. It's just the lure of the sound that people claim about the RS2e is tempting.

Please forgive me for bringing this issue of bass up again. It's because I was recently told not long ago here that the 325e has more bass than the RS2e. It confused me because of the graphs of the older models show the RS2 had more bass initially. I expected the e version not to have changed signature so much. Anyway graph below again.

The graphs on this page show the SR325 to have just a touch more bass, and the SR325i to have just a touch less bass than the RS2. http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Looking at the HeadRoom graph. I prefer the fact the RS2 goes a little lower into the bass. Yet the 325 gives a flatter response in the bass over the rest of the lower frequencies. I know these aren't quite up to date though.

Kind of six of one and half-a-dozen of the other really. The distinguishing factor must be the over fidelity (or sound) quality. Warmth of sound aside it's the depth of detail and control, that either headphone will dig up that intrigues me.

One of the factors I keep juggling is that I doubt I will ever buy a headphone amp. Not like the valve kit that I see some users owning. I'd probably stick to DAC, or maybe at a really big push one distant-off-day, something like the NAD D 3020.

Thankyou for any further impressions.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #4,331 of 6,729
If I were you I'd buy both the 325e and the RS2e.  You probably have gone far enough gathering info and narrowing the choice to two, now its time to listen for yourself.  Listen at your leisure than you can decide.  You might even keep both.  I bought the 325e even though I had decided on the RS1e, but even after a few minutes of listening I knew the RS1e was un-GRado.  Dealer did not have the RS2e, but at some point I will buy a pair to see what all the hype is for myself.

Costs a bit of coin but beats any opinion/recommendation.  Nothing more depleting than to be thinking whether or not you made the right choice without ever having listened to both.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #4,332 of 6,729
  If I were you I'd buy both the 325e and the RS2e.  You probably have gone far enough gathering info and narrowing the choice to two, now its time to listen for yourself.  Listen at your leisure than you can decide.  You might even keep both.  I bought the 325e even though I had decided on the RS1e, but even after a few minutes of listening I knew the RS1e was un-GRado.  Dealer did not have the RS2e, but at some point I will buy a pair to see what all the hype is for myself.

Costs a bit of coin but beats any opinion/recommendation.  Nothing more depleting than to be thinking whether or not you made the right choice without ever having listened to both.

Unless you have a tube amp, I suggest 325e is the best and safe way to go. It's good right out of an iPhone. The RS2 is brighter and requires some tweaking like tube amps, tape mods and such. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #4,333 of 6,729

Buying both with a view to keeping both, isn't really an option though. Ordering both might be a groovy way to audition them, but I feel cheeky. Even though I know it's a customers right, of distance purchasing. (Edit: Congrats on your 325e.)

Unless you have a tube amp, I suggest 325e is the best and safe way to go. It's good right out of an iPhone. The RS2 is brighter and requires some tweaking like tube amps, tape mods and such. 

Mmm I bought the warmer smoother sounding Meridian Explorer (ME) DAC with longer listening times in mind. I use its headphone out. It's not quite as bright at the HRT Micro-Streamer, which over-all has better more exciting sound. I like my headphones for FLAC, CD, and PC gaming, (plus my little DAB radio). The gaming audio experience from the ME and my SR225i/e is quite astounding. I was (re-playing) Serious Sam 3 tonight and was mind-bogglingly blown away. Good software in the game (HRTF) gave exceptional directional information, and made locating enemies a dream. The ME and SR225i/e were right on point.
Sadly I don't want the fancy tube/valve amps though. It's just a matter of desk-space really. Plus I am accident prone and would damage something with protruding valves on it, like some I have seen pictures of.
I only considered the NAD D 3020 because it's a small, practical, purpose built for desks, and is amped for speakers. It has a built in DAC and a good head-phone amp. I imagine that it might not compete with a dedicated headphone amp in sound quality. It would cover all bases for me though.
Thankyou though. I had not heard the RS2e was a little bright. I thought it was tamed, smooth, crisp, and clear, like e-version headphones are said to be. Everyone so far has reported loving the RS2e.
I thought the SR325e is the safest bet from an un-auditioned point of view. The stir caused by the RS2e is almost impossible to not think about though.
-----
Over-all though I know I should try audition. The trouble is getting to an audition. Health at the moment makes longer travel difficult, and impossible for me to drive. Sorry folks. That's why I am asking. Anyway, ramble over.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #4,334 of 6,729
I decided to pick up an SR80e while I wait out the 3 weeks for my Fidelio X2 to come in. I was really iffy about Grado because of all the reviews about brightness and sibilance, so I put it off for a while. But considering how I listen to Rock 90% of the time, I figured I owed it to myself to try out the most-recommended brand for the genre.

Holy crap.

I am loving them. Guitars never sounded so good. Drums never sounded so good. Vocals are incredible! I have been missing out!

They're not perfect. The foam is itchy as all hell, the soundstage is nonexistent, and the bass is pretty anemic (I can barely even hear the bass guitar on a few songs). But it's fast, in-your-face, and shameless in its presentation. I was gonna give them away after I tried them, but not anymore. I'm officially a Grado fan. They're staying in the collection. I didn't know what people meant about Sennheisers sounding laid-back until I put my Momentums and HD598s on after the Grados.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #4,335 of 6,729
  I decided to pick up an SR80e while I wait out the 3 weeks for my Fidelio X2 to come in. I was really iffy about Grado because of all the reviews about brightness and sibilance, so I put it off for a while. But considering how I listen to Rock 90% of the time, I figured I owed it to myself to try out the most-recommended brand for the genre.

Holy crap.

I am loving them. Guitars never sounded so good. Drums never sounded so good. Vocals are incredible! I have been missing out!

They're not perfect. The foam is itchy as all hell, the soundstage is nonexistent, and the bass is pretty anemic (I can barely even hear the bass guitar on a few songs). But it's fast, in-your-face, and shameless in its presentation. I was gonna give them away after I tried them, but not anymore. I'm officially a Grado fan. They're staying in the collection. I didn't know what people meant about Sennheisers sounding laid-back until I put my Momentums and HD598s on after the Grados.

Yeah if I was to buy an "e" series I think it will be the SR80e. I know the bass is not a strong component of the SR80 but is it really that anemic?
Is there any upper mid bass to quash the lack of bottom end as my original SR80's tend to do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back