Grado e Series
Mar 21, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,306 of 6,729

Oh, definitely NOT!  I prefer the low end of my Etymotic ER-4S by far.  My god, if I could combine the Ety low end with the Grado mids, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sorry. I misread this that you said earlier. "Despite that, though, I definitely enjoy the non-emphasized, non-bloated bass of the RS2e's."

I read I thinking you meant.

Despite that, though, I 'prefer' the non-emphasized, non-bloated bass of the RS2e's.

I think I got that wrong because I think somewhere you said overall you prefer your RS2e, overall.
Plus in post 4278 you said, "I'm really liking the bass on my RS2e's".

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #4,307 of 6,729

Oh, definitely NOT!  I prefer the low end of my Etymotic ER-4S by far.  My god, if I could combine the Ety low end with the Grado mids, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sorry. I misread this that you said earlier.

Despite that, though, I definitely enjoy the non-emphasized, non-bloated bass of the RS2e's.

I read I thinking you meant.

Despite that, though, I definitely 'prefer' the non-emphasized, non-bloated bass of the RS2e's.

I think I got that wrong because I think somewhere you said overall you prefer your RS2e, overall.
Plus in post 4278 you said, "I'm really liking the bass on my RS2e's".

My bad.

No worries!

Yeah, based on my initial impressions, I did say that the RS2e's were the best headphone I'd ever heard so far.  But, it takes time to really know for sure, and that time is happening now for me.

I'm finding the treble fatiguing at the moment, but I'm also finding listening to ANY of my headphones fatiguing.  I'm on graveyard shift at the moment, however, and not getting enough sleep, and plus, the control room here at work is noisy as all get-out, and I also find that that fatigues my ears.  So it will probably pass.  I certainly hope so in any event!  But time will tell.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,308 of 6,729

No worries!

Yeah, based on my initial impressions, I did say that the RS2e's were the best headphone I'd ever heard so far.  But, it takes time to really know for sure, and that time is happening now for me.

I'm finding the treble fatiguing at the moment, but I'm also finding listening to ANY of my headphones fatiguing.  I'm on graveyard shift at the moment, however, and not getting enough sleep, and plus, the control room here at work is noisy as all get-out, and I also find that that fatigues my ears.  So it will probably pass.  I certainly hope so in any event!  But time will tell.

are you using a DAP? have you tried EQ-ing them? im EQ-ing my 325e on my DAP like, 5db down on 7-9 khz lol

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #4,309 of 6,729

No worries!

I hope I can assure it will pass.

Only two nights ago I was listening to a couple of my new CD's and thinking, "Why did I buy these?". The music was awful. It was weird because I had been loving listening to the Amazon AutoRip (free MP3) versions of them. During the days before the CD's arrived in the post.

Anyway as I said ages ago I am pretty much a constant sinus headache sufferer. (I have other similar issues. Believe me I couldn't be any unluckier.) I was having a bad time of it. Tiredness and headaches and headache exhaustion, cause senses-oversensitivity. The music sounded dis-jointed, harsh, and I couldn't understand the chord progressions. I didn't have the patience to carry on.

Yet next day I listened to the same CD's, and was loving them more each listen as you do. The Grados sounded 'on point', and entranced me with lush tones, beefy energy, and startling dynamism.

[Sorry this is off topic folks. However because it explains your headphones are really fine to people, I chose to include it. Anyway I had better hang up my typing gloves for a while. I have been chattering on for ages just recently.]

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #4,310 of 6,729
Going between the 325e and HD600, sometimes the HD600 is just lifeless while other times the 325e is too high strung.  

Makes me so happy to own both, that I get to please my ears perfectly by donning the right headphone for the right mood.

beyersmile.png

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #4,311 of 6,729
  Going between the 325e and HD600, sometimes the HD600 is just lifeless while other times the 325e is too high strung.  

Makes me so happy to own both, that I get to please my ears perfectly by donning the right headphone for the right mood.

beyersmile.png

That's the way to go...much more fun having more toys :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4,313 of 6,729

Yep, something about the low end of these things, I'm even finding them good enough  in that department to satisfy me with movies. I usually never use Grados for movies, but I've been reaching for the RS2s for them now...I still can't quite put my finger on it. That same clean Grado low end is there, but the presentation is different than the non-"e" drivers. I also am still extremely impressed how in balance everything sounds. I"m sure they don't measure that way, but that's the way they come off to my ears. 

When I compare the RS2e’s to the SR80e’s - the more 3 dimensional bass in the 2e’s helps balance the overall sound for me.  The 80e’s can sound heavier, lo-end wise, but it feels like the bass is more in your head, than spread out...
  I really think that these RS2e's are some of the best looking headphones I have ever seen in person or in pictures!  They're just beautiful.  And I love how they lay flat.  And I'm really liking the brown headband.  I'm glad that's what I ended up with.  I think if I'd had a choice I would have gone for black, but now that I've had the brown for a while, I definitely prefer it to the black.  The Grado product page for the RS2e's is still showing black.  I love the Grado copy at the top of that page:

LOL!  But seriously.  I mean, some of the headphones out there really are quite candy colored.  And that's fine and all.  But these wood cup Grado's are just so refreshingly retro and have this just absolutely gorgeous leather headband that looks and feels so nice.  And smells nice, too. The strong smell initially, right out of the box, was actually the finish on the wood cups still curing.  That's gotten progressively weaker, and has changed its character.  The wood cups are now starting to smell somewhat like ground coffee.  Did anyone else noticed that progression of smells?  In any case, the odor is getting weaker and weaker as these air out, and I can now easily smell the leather of the headband, which is a nice smell in my opinion, but far weaker at first than the wood cups smell.  The wood cups didn't smell nice exactly (and still don't), but they aren't objectionable in any way.

I’ve really been liking the new headband color, despite the fact that I always go for black leather over brown or tan...  Being able to lay flat was another reason why I went with  Grados - my 80e's can slip easily in my briefcase for work everyday, 

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #4,314 of 6,729
  When I compare the RS2e’s to the SR80e’s - the more 3 dimensional bass in the 2e’s helps balance the overall sound for me.  The 80e’s can sound heavier, lo-end wise, but it feels like the bass is more in your head, than spread out...

Agree 100%

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4,315 of 6,729
I’ve really been liking the new headband color, despite the fact that I always go for black leather over brown or tan...  Being able to lay flat was another reason why I went with  Grados - my 80e's can slip easily in my briefcase for work everyday, 

that's how I felt comparing 325e vs RS2e. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #4,316 of 6,729
What with the high praise for the RS2e's, I'm leaning towards getting them.
(Thanks to sling5s & others..)
Should be a week or so as I clear out some unfinished business.

I'm a little concerned because I didn't like the RS2i's at all.  Very
anemic bass was the main culprit.  I returned them for the RS1i's
with which I've been very pleased for most types of music.

But if the 2e's are 'better' than the 1i's, I feel I''ve got to check them out.

BTW I listened extensively to the RS1e's which I didn't like as much as the RS1i's.

Cheers

edit: changed RS1's to RS1i's in last sentence.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #4,317 of 6,729

Yeah. It's a tough choice. Those brown do look like you'd fall in love if you had to have them. Even if like me, I think I prefer the black on first impression.

The USD prices are breath-taking. I can see exactly how some folk are happy to have two sets.

The UK prices make it more fundamental to get the choice right first time. Cash flow aside, buying two sets of cans at UK prices seems like a waste of investment. Please don't quote me if I'm wrong though.

When I quroted $1900 for the PS1000, it wasn't in USD, I live in Canada,

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #4,318 of 6,729
  What with the high praise for the RS2e's, I'm leaning towards getting them.
(Thanks to sling5s & others..)
Should be a week or so as I clear out some unfinished business.

I'm a little concerned because I didn't like the RS2i's at all.  Very
anemic bass was the main culprit.  I returned them for the RS1i's
with which I've been very pleased for most types of music.

But if the 2e's are 'better' than the 1i's, I feel I''ve got to check them out.

BTW I listened extensively to the RS1e's which I didn't like as much as the RS1's.

Cheers

I use Flats for iPhone and Bowls with Tape Mod (custom leather to cover the bowl) and Lyr 2 with '75 Reflectors (which tends to be add some bass) so my impressions on mids and bass might differ with yours.
It's also been awhile since I had the RS1i and I had different gear back than with the RS1i (Mad Ear and Woo Audio 6). 
So I would buy the RS2e and compare them to the RS1i and pick the one you like and sell the other. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #4,319 of 6,729

I use Flats for iPhone and Bowls with Tape Mod (custom leather to cover the bowl) and Lyr 2 with '75 Reflectors (which tends to be add some bass) so my impressions on mids and bass might differ with yours.
It's also been awhile since I had the RS1i and I had different gear back than with the RS1i (Mad Ear and Woo Audio 6). 
So I would buy the RS2e and compare them to the RS1i and pick the one you like and sell the other. 

Thanks for the detail.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #4,320 of 6,729
Hello all! I have finally been given the Wifey's approval to purchase a pair of the GS1000e or another 1k headphone! I have had my eyes and ears set on the GS1000e for awhile now. I am wanting to know how much burn-in time I should allow for before making a decision on whether or not it is for me?? It's not every day that I can scrounge together this much $ for "another headphone":smiley:. I am sensitive to sibilance and hope that the 'e' series are more neutral than what my experience was with the GS1000i or RS1i. My source is as follows: Mac Mini>Audirvana+>Schiit Wyrd>Peachtree Dac-It-x>Schiit Asgard 2 or the CypherLabs Algorythm Picollo>Grado GS1000e (I'm also considering the AKG K812 or JH Audio Siren Series Angie). Any advice or direction will be most helpful. Thank you my fellow Headfiers! Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back