Grado e Series
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,381 of 6,729
  i think PS1000E is better than ps1000i 
gs1000e also
but rs1e is worse than rs1i

Ps1ke seems better suited to modern music imo its not so harsh on the top end and more forgiving. I think the same applies to the rs1e, much more smoothed off on top to handle the harshness you can get with compressed music. As well as both being better suited to people with my tastes who find a lot of the i series a bit too strong up top :D

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #4,382 of 6,729
gs1000e also

Of course the PS-1000e is better than the PS-1000i (they never made one).
Glad you prefer the PS1Ke to the PS1K. 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #4,384 of 6,729
  LOL i didn't even notice that.

Just joking around…a lot of people (including myself) are/were under this impression due to Grado dealers falsely advertising the PS-1000 as a PS-1000i when Grado introduced the (i) series, but there never was an (i) series for the PS1K. This was confirmed by Grado in an e-mail when I was purchasing my first pair, and was confused about seeing/purchasing the PS1K/PS1Ki. There are just 3 different cup finishes: wet/satin/chrome.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4,385 of 6,729
My SR80e's arrived today. This is my first pair of Grado's so i wanted to start with a small investment. Before i ask my questions i need to state that i have done a lot of reading and research but i am overwhelmed and confused at this point. 
1. Lets say you believe in Unicorns and break-in, what is the recommended break-in time and method for Grado's.
2. If break-in yields me with the same amount of bass i am more than willing to try some mods ( i am not a bass head, i  just feel the highs are great, I'm just looking for a little more balance). I would like to not subject them to a heat gun, steam bath, hair blower or a trip to the sweat lodge, yet. I don't mind cutting the pads. Finally the freaking question. What none invasive surgery (if any) would you recommend first?
Thanks 

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #4,386 of 6,729
  My SR80e's arrived today. This is my first pair of Grado's so i wanted to start with a small investment. Before i ask my questions i need to state that i have done a lot of reading and research but i am overwhelmed and confused at this point. 
1. Lets say you believe in Unicorns and break-in, what is the recommended break-in time and method for Grado's.
2. If break-in yields me with the same amount of bass i am more than willing to try some mods ( i am not a bass head, i  just feel the highs are great, I'm just looking for a little more balance). I would like to not subject them to a heat gun, steam bath, hair blower or a trip to the sweat lodge, yet. I don't mind cutting the pads. Finally the freaking question. What none invasive surgery (if any) would you recommend first?
Thanks 

I would like to chime in on your questions.

First, I do not (nor do I think any fellow head-fier ) believe in unicorns, however I do certainly believe in break (burn) in. 
Why you ask? Because the drivers in headphones are mechanical transducers, and in the same principle as a new car engine, they require a certain amount of time and use before they become fully functional/seated/settled-in. There have been tests to prove that this does indeed take place to varying degrees.

Second, why subject them to anything at all other then the way Grado suggests to break them in, and that is by actually listening to them for about an hour or so at a time at a reasonable listening level to let the burn-in process occur naturally and allowing the drivers time to "rest" between uses. This is the method I have been using on all my Grados and it has always yielded positive results, and I have never had a driver go bad yet as some others have, not to say that any other break-in method will yield negative results.

And third, the bass should become tighter and a bit more pronounced after the break-in process which should take approximately 50 hours or so.

Good luck and enjoy your new 80e's!

Mal.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #4,387 of 6,729

Thank you. The unicorn remark was meant as a joke because there are so many "this is insane and here is why" or "of course this works, here is why" floating around some forums.I try and go with advice from people like yourself that have actual experience. I will begin the process.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4,388 of 6,729
gs1000e also

Just to be clear, there's never been a PS1000i, just the PS1000, and the e version. And I think that the PS1000, is better than the PS1000e
tongue.gif

Oh!, and the same goes for the PS500.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #4,389 of 6,729
Thanks 

Hello and welcome to Grado aficionado club.
1. Recommendations vary but 50hrs should be enough.A variety of music will suffice.
2. For bass mods you can use the L-cush over the factory S-cush.

Enjoy :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4,392 of 6,729

+1000
I was listening to "Limelight with my PS1K's at well above my normal listening level
(couldn't help it) and my jaw was hitting the floor!!!

That's ace. Easily done nudging the volume.

(Anyone could buy either of those albums with Limelight, and be just as impressed, if not familiar with Rush. If I am not mistaken Moving Pictures is their most popular album. Time Stand Still: The Collection (compilation) is solid biggies.)
 making you feel as if the music is coming from a stage in front of you with distinct places for singer, guitar, etc, the RS2e is clearly bested by the Sennheiser HD-595's,

I read somewhere that getting the stage in front is really tricky technically. Like said though for my use I need Grado surround directional info. (I wanted to add this note because it might have sounded like I was contradicting you about two pages ago. Not what I meant. I hope you feeling more up to it, and your RS2 are just the ticket.)

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #4,395 of 6,729
Here's my take on the RS2e vs RS1i.  Buckle up, it's a long read.

* Sound signature:
The overall character of the two is similar.  I find the treble is about the same between them.  The difference is that the mids are fuller on the RS2e, which may give the impression that they're less treble heavy, but they're every bit as bright.  Vocals and other sounds in the upper mids sound a little more natural because of this increased fullness. 

In comparison, the 1i has a bit of a U shaped response where the mids are recessed and the top and bottom are emphasized instead.   This gives the 1i a lot of focus in the upper mids and is probably why they have such great emotion, but it also awkwardly takes some of the body away from instruments.  Hence the 2e sounding more natural. 

The bass is clearly less extended on the 2e.  That doesn't mean that it sounds bad in any way, as it's very tight and thick, but it just doesn't vibrate as deep as on the 1i.  It's not so weak that it unbalances the sound, but if the fuller mids weren't there to pick up the slack the 2e would be a little top heavy. 

*Soundstage:
The 2e stage is notably smaller and less airy than the 1i, sounding much closer and more "in your face."  It actually reminds me of the SR series, 225's in particular.  The 1i has a lot more distance and width, which gives it a grander sound.   This isn't so much a matter of better or worse, but I do feel like the sound has more space to reach out with the 1i while the 2e feels constrained within a set distance. 

The separation is clearly better with the 2e, and this is especially apparent with vocal harmonies.  Every single voice can be heard at once, and I'm easily hearing many things in general that I never noticed with the 1i after years of listening to them.  The separation brings an increase in clarity to the overall sound that makes me feel like I can hear anything with these headphones.  Going back to the 1i, a few things get reburied in the mix. 

*Random observations:
The 2e sounds a lot more stable and solid than the 1i, which has a slightly more hollow, grainy, almost brittle quality in direct comparison.  I don't know if it's the fuller mids or the resonance reductions, but the 2e definitely sounds tighter and heavier in spite of the more limited bass. 

The 2e wins by a landslide with electronica.  I couldn't really find a single Autechre or Aphex Twin track that I didn't prefer the 2e for.  The extra separation, mids, and more stable sound really seem to pay off for music with extreme percussive details like this. 

The 1i is still better for classical.  The wider soundstage, more delicate mids, and sense of distance suit strings much better.  Rock is a toss-up. 

RS2e clearly wins in the looks department.  The brown headband pushes it over the top, it even matches the color of the new earcups closely.  I feel guilty even posting without pics.

Summary:
The 1i still sounds like the higher end headphone.  It has the better extension, bigger soundstaging, and classier sound.  The 2e is a little closer to the SR series side of things, but the quality gap is not big at all.  Despite the $200 difference, I consider them nearly on the same level. 

The RS2e should be considered a sidestep from the RS1i, then.  It does some things better, some worse.  With the RS1e being as lame as it is, it was tempting to think the 2e might offer the upgrade that RS1i owners wanted, and it nearly does.  The real tragedy of the RS1e is that it easily would have topped the RS1i if it had just stuck with the RS2e sound and improved it;  the 2e's biggest weaknesses are the smaller soundstage and limited bass depth, both of which would have been solved by the larger RS1 earcups and general driver upgrade.  Such a waste. 

I still don't know which headphones I'm keeping.  Again, it's a very close call.  I'd be happy to stick with either one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back