Grado e Series
Mar 14, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,186 of 6,729

I think we all hear differently and it's been a while since I listened to the RS1i and there are again variations in the RS1i itself but my take is that the RS1i is brighter (in upper mids and treble) than the 325e but that the 325e being aluminum gives the treble an edgy, metal and shrill presentation.  While the RS1i while being brighter in wood, gives it a warmer tone to the treble.  It's just my hypothesis.
I could be wrong.
So far I've owned all the "i" series in the past and have recently owned RS1e, 500e, still have 325e and am waiting for the RS2e to arrive so I can compare the 325e and RS2e and decide between the two.
I'm hoping the RS2e will be closer to the RS1i but with a slightly fuller mid and tamed upper mid and treble. 

I look forward to your comparison of the RS2e and the 325e!

OK, so there I was giving my ears a rest, hanging out, drinking coffee, and I just couldn't help but want to do something involving the RS2e, so I threw together a headphone stand from miscellaneous pieces of rock maple I had lying around.  I got the design idea from the last pic on the Schiit Asgard 2 product page.  Anyway, this allowed me to take a couple more pics of the RS2e for this thread.  I don't know what the size limit (if any) on uploaded pictures is, but I exported these from Lightroom at 2000 pixels longest-side.  The ones I did initially were 1000.  However, if anyone wants higher res, I can definitely provide that!  LOL!  OK, so here they are:

For me, one of the decisions to go with the RS2e instead of the SR325e was the lighter weight and the aesthetics of wood cups instead of aluminum, and sonically, from what I read, I thought I would like the RS2e's more than the 325e's.  The PS500e's, on the other hand, I really wasn't sure about just from reading.  I was definitely considering them as well, along the way in reading this thread.  And I'd still like to hear them.  But, I'm just so pleased with the RS2e's (and I've spent enough money for the moment!) that I'm just going to focus on enjoying the RS2e's and getting to know them.  There will be time enough later for dealing with (or courting) the temptation for another Grado.  The real thing for me to get next is a good amp to go with my Duet DAC so I can really experience what these 2e's are capable of.

I keep thinking about that--like--wow--these things are only going to get better with break-in and with a better amp.  It's a very nice thought!  LOL!

OK.  Enjoy the eye candy!

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4,187 of 6,729

Hey Jay, use the extra cash to put toward the newly revised and IMPROVED RS1e mk-II. If it ever comes to be!

Mal.

now that would be a pleasant surprise !

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,188 of 6,729
  now that would be a pleasant surprise !

Well you would figure that someone at Grado peruses this thread from time to time eh jay? I mean, this site is the best consumer forum that Grado can utilize for feedback to garner what is working for them and what isn't (and they don't even have to pay for focus groups), imagine that!

You would also figure by now that Grado would acknowledge that FACT that they goofed somewhat with the redesign of the RS1e. The signs of that are all over this thread!

Sooo, why wouldn't they just fix it. It shouldn't require any costly retooling of equipment, right? Just a little tweak of the cups to accomodate the new larger driver so that it would be flush with the wood cup. Would that be so difficult?
Sales of RS1e's should double or triple after that I figure!

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,189 of 6,729

OK, so there I was giving my ears a rest, hanging out, drinking coffee, and I just couldn't help but want to do something involving the RS2e, so I threw together a headphone stand from miscellaneous pieces of rock maple I had lying around.  I got the design idea from the last pic on the Schiit Asgard 2 product page.  Anyway, this allowed me to take a couple more pics of the RS2e for this thread.  I don't know what the size limit (if any) on uploaded pictures is, but I exported these from Lightroom at 2000 pixels longest-side.  The ones I did initially were 1000.  However, if anyone wants higher res, I can definitely provide that!  LOL!  OK, so here they are:

For me, one of the decisions to go with the RS2e instead of the SR325e was the lighter weight and the aesthetics of wood cups instead of aluminum, and sonically, from what I read, I thought I would like the RS2e's more than the 325e's.  The PS500e's, on the other hand, I really wasn't sure about just from reading.  I was definitely considering them as well, along the way in reading this thread.  And I'd still like to hear them.  But, I'm just so pleased with the RS2e's (and I've spent enough money for the moment!) that I'm just going to focus on enjoying the RS2e's and getting to know them.  There will be time enough later for dealing with (or courting) the temptation for another Grado.  The real thing for me to get next is a good amp to go with my Duet DAC so I can really experience what these 2e's are capable of.

I keep thinking about that--like--wow--these things are only going to get better with break-in and with a better amp.  It's a very nice thought!  LOL!

That. Looks. Lovely, _js_. Oh and the RS2e as well! haha. ENJOY!

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,190 of 6,729

Well you would figure that someone at Grado peruses this thread from time to time eh jay? I mean, this site is the best consumer forum that Grado can utilize for feedback to garner what is working for them and what isn't (and they don't even have to pay for focus groups), imagine that!

You would also figure by now that Grado would acknowledge that FACT that they goofed somewhat with the redesign of the RS1e. The signs of that are all over this thread!

Sooo, why wouldn't they just fix it. It shouldn't require any costly retooling of equipment, right? Just a little tweak of the cups to accomodate the new larger driver so that it would be flush with the wood cup. Would that be so difficult?
Sales of RS1e's should double or triple after that I figure!

yeah, all this makes sense, i do hope it happens

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,191 of 6,729
  Hey Joseph, I totally agree with you about Fourplay. Four of the best in the contempo jazz business and the sound quality of their recordings is A+!
Also, you have just got to listen to anything by Acoustic Alchemy. Definitely my favourite contempo jazz guitar band. So melodic and they sound fantastic on Grados!

Cheers! 

Agreed, I also listen to Acoustis Alchemy and their recordings are excellent!
To be quite honest I imported all 8 of Fourplays Cd's I mentioned above to my MBP (ALAC) and have made a playlist of them and I shuffle the playlist almost 90% of the time I listen to my HP's, and never get bored/tired of listening to them. I listen to other types of Jazz as well such as…Contemporary/Smooth/Chill/Instrumental/Lounge...and barley listen to other Genre's anymore.
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #4,192 of 6,729

I think we all hear differently and it's been a while since I listened to the RS1i and there are again variations in the RS1i itself but my take is that the RS1i is brighter (in upper mids and treble) than the 325e but that the 325e being aluminum gives the treble an edgy, metal and shrill presentation.  While the RS1i while being brighter in wood, gives it a warmer tone to the treble.  It's just my hypothesis.
I could be wrong.
So far I've owned all the "i" series in the past and have recently owned RS1e, 500e, still have 325e and am waiting for the RS2e to arrive so I can compare the 325e and RS2e and decide between the two.
I'm hoping the RS2e will be closer to the RS1i but with a slightly fuller mid and tamed upper mid and treble. 

Good job on the headphone stand...that looks nice.

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #4,194 of 6,729
  You guys are really making me want to hear the 325e!!!

it might not be aggressive enough for you, but i think it's KILLER given the price

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4,195 of 6,729
  it might not be aggressive enough for you, but i think it's KILLER given the price

I was thinking the same thing. It may sound like the MS-2i, which is a great HP, but wasn't aggressive enough for me, which is why I ended up with the 325is. Not only that, my PS1K's are my HP's that I relax with because they aren't aggressive, so it might not pay for me.

Mar 14, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #4,196 of 6,729
  I was thinking the same thing. It may sound like the MS-2i, which is a great HP, but wasn't aggressive enough for me, which is why I ended up with the 325is. Not only that, my PS1K's are my HP's that I relax with because they aren't aggressive, so it might not pay for me.

i can assure you that 325e sounds nothing at all like ms2e. ms2e is thicker and fuller in the mids, and way less bright in the trebles. ms2e sounds more like rs1i with thicker mids if i may say so myself.
i've heard ms2i in the past but it was a long ago it's not reliable anymore.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #4,197 of 6,729
  Agreed, I also listen to Acoustis Alchemy and their recordings are excellent!
To be quite honest I imported all 8 of Fourplays Cd's I mentioned above to my MBP (ALAC) and have made a playlist of them and I shuffle the playlist almost 90% of the time I listen to my HP's, and never get bored/tired of listening to them. I listen to other types of Jazz as well such as…Contemporary/Smooth/Chill/Instrumental/Lounge...and barley listen to other Genre's anymore.
beerchug.gif

Hey Joseph, you are like me in the fact that I also listen mostly to contemporary jazz/instrumental/smooth, and some lounge. 
I have about 1,800 albums on my MBP. You name 'em and I've probably got 'em!

It's quite amazing the sound quality of newer recordings compared to those from 10 years ago and older. The technology has so advanced
and it's so impressive to hear it on our Grado's above all other brands!  IMHO. YMMV. DDAD(Don't Drink and Drive)

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #4,200 of 6,729
My initial impression of RS2e. As I am no longer or never possessed some of the Grado Models that mentioned in the following impression by the time I received the RS2e, most of the impression of other Grados are based on my memories, so it may not be 100% accurate.

* The overall feeling of the RS2e was quite similar as the Sr225i with woody texture. The treble and bass extention is less than the PS500e, but has more treble quantity and energy, but still less than the treble on the RS1i and 2i.

* The i version RS2i, from momory, was a very agressive and "intimate" headphones, it's treble and mids are quite forward, the treble has less decay than it's on the RS1i and is more "full on". The RS2e, has a slightly tamed character,  the treble energy was even lesser than the RS1i and with a bit more decay. unlike the 2i, the mids of the 2e was a bit distant, I would say the mids was at the right position as the mids of 2i was quite forward. I personally prefer the more intimate mids on the 2i, but the 2e's mids is not bad at all, the mids is about the same position as the RS1i, definitely further than the 325is while closer than the PS500e, the mids on PS500e was a bit recessed.

* The bass of the 2e seems mellower than it's of the 2i, I remember the bass of the 2i was quite snappy, although the quantity isn't much, but it's packed with some punchy stuff. The quantity of the 2e's bass is similar, but it's not as punchy. Same as I found the bass on the PS500e, which means it's a bit less fun headphones thant the i version.

* The 2e is less fatiging headphones to listen to, at times I found the treble on the RS1i a bit bright and can be annoying for some tracks, the RS2e did this very well, it's non-fatiging while exciting at the same time.

* The sound stage of the 2e is larger than the 2i version, although it's still smaller than it's on the RS1i and MSpro.

Overall, the RS2e was a very lovely headphones, it remains most magic of the triditional Grados while less fatiging at the same time. I would rate it 5 stars and put it on the same level as the RS2i, which was my favorite Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back