Grado e Series
Mar 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #4,216 of 6,729
That's the problem i'm having. It appears the 500e is the most like the 650 with lessened treble and emphasized bass. Purely by frequency response, I should be going with the RS2e; however, opinion seems to be that the 500e is the most genre compatible, and there are no measurements yet for the e version of the 500e, so i'm unsure how its resolved with the bass emphasis and treble.

So impressions seem to list the 500e as the most genre neutral (like the 600's are to me), whereas frequency response seems to list the RS2e as the most similar to the HD600's genre neutrality.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,217 of 6,729
FWIW I find the RS2e's good for any genre. However, they do have some treble emphases relative to the HD600's. OTOH, if the 500e's have anything like the FR of the 500's, it makes them more akin to the hd650's than hd600's.

I think you should order both from a good reputable dealer with a return policy and return the one you don't like as much.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,218 of 6,729
You really do need to bring your Meier and Grados to Nashville on 4/18, would love to hear them!!!

I would love to show it off, man...it's my end game, and has been for two years. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #4,219 of 6,729
  That's the problem i'm having. It appears the 500e is the most like the 650 with lessened treble and emphasized bass. Purely by frequency response, I should be going with the RS2e; however, opinion seems to be that the 500e is the most genre compatible, and there are no measurements yet for the e version of the 500e, so i'm unsure how its resolved with the bass emphasis and treble.

So impressions seem to list the 500e as the most genre neutral (like the 600's are to me), whereas frequency response seems to list the RS2e as the most similar to the HD600's genre neutrality.

500e is more mainstream than sr325e. i haven't heard the rs2e. the hd650 (if it's not paired with OTL tube amps), sounds nowhere near the 500e at all. Maybe both have elevated mid-bass, but the two sounds completely different...

i'm a fan of hd600 myself, and i think hd600 is closer to sr325e than it is the 500e.

also if you're looking for something the most like hd650 that's not hd650, maybe you need to check out hifiman he-400i, if i might say so myself.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,220 of 6,729
325e and HD600 are similar in that they are both detailed and the bass response is very similar at lower, easy listening volumes.  Once you turn the volume up for some spirited listening, however, the differences are pretty major. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4,222 of 6,729
  I was hoping to gather an opinion hear and appreciation the input.

I purchased the RS1e about six months ago. I didn't spend too much time with it before selling it, and moving on because the driver issues on the e series RS1, whereas I usually am fine with Grado's.
Finally, I figured i'd get back into the Grado's with either an RS2e or PS500e, and after reading as many comments as I can, am still undecided, since I don't know how different the new series versions are for each, and unfortunately don't have enough friends/stores nearby with Grado.

Suffice, I am primarily looking for something that does well with most genres. I'm a big fan of the HD600, especially in contrast to the HD650, which I felt was too rolled off for me in the upper end despite throwing five different amps at it. I'm definitely looking for something dynamic, balanced, and engaging, albeit i'm sure both headphone's accomplish that in folds.

Again, I am really appreciative of the input here, and if anyone remembers any posts in this or the Grado Fan Club thread at a certain page, to point it out.

Go for the 2e, I sold my PS500e last week without a bit of regret. Admittedly, PS500e is no way a bad headphones and in terms of sound quiality is slightly suprior than the 2e and with better treble and basss extenstion, but I am not a big fan of it's tilted bass and recessed mids, my ears getting fatigue after 20mins listening to the 500e whereas I could listen the 2e for hours without and pain in the ears.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #4,223 of 6,729
  Go for the 2e, I sold my PS500e last week without a bit of regret. Admittedly, PS500e is no way a bad headphones and in terms of sound quiality is slightly suprior than the 2e and with better treble and basss extenstion, but I am not a big fan of it's tilted bass and recessed mids, my ears getting fatigue after 20mins listening to the 500e whereas I could listen the 2e for hours without and pain in the ears.+

+1  they also look better.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #4,225 of 6,729
  Zuqi, would you be able to explain the fatigue on the PS500e to you.

Also, what makes the RS2e superior to you.

The bass of the PS500e is a bit too much for me.
The RS2e has a bit more treble energy which makes it more engaging, the treble is still delicate without being bright. The bass is less than the PS500.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #4,226 of 6,729
Got to demo the ps1ke today. Had it paired with the metrum acoustics aurix amp and they sure sounded good. Sounds very much like the ps500e but to my ears bass and treble extension are better and soundstage is vastly better. I made the mistake of demoing the rs1e after the psk1e and they sure make the rs1e sound bad lol.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #4,227 of 6,729
I had PS500e for about a month now..the last time i had grado was 9 years ago..i was afraid that grado treble still harsh like how i remember..to my surprise, it is far from being harsh and bright..i pair it with AK240 and it sounds amazing..i listened to shure se846 for almost a year and used to the lush,smooth and sweet sounding midrange..but since i got myself 500e..i never even try to compare it to se846..i just love the sound sooo much..i changed to G-cush and the soundstage improves but bass lesser than L-cush..treble are just nice without being sibilant..imaging is very precise..after 9 years..i fall in love with grado again..

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #4,229 of 6,729
  This is an extremely tough decision. I'll sit on going with the RS2e for the day, and make a decision by tonight. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

You CANNOT go wrong with the 325e! Here's why:

-Very balanced sound in all frequency regions. Neither bass, midrange nor treble take dominance over one another.
-Fuller sounding than any "i" models due to technology of new "e" driver.
-Mid-range "shoutiness" reduced, but midrange is not recessed. 
-Exciting transparent sound. Not boring in the least. Very involving.
-Highs somewhat toned  down compared to 325i. Not shrill and no sibilance that I can detect.
-Feels solid in the hands due to metal earcups and wide leather headband, however they are somewhat heavier the RS models.

-Rated #1 headphone in Consumer Reports December 2014 "Best Gear of the Year" issue.

I love my 325e and they give my RS1i a run for their money! And speaking of money, for the sound quality they provide
for around $300.00, I feel you simply cannot do better!

Cheers!
Mal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back