GRADO/ALESSANDRO INFORMATION CENTRAL.
Mar 8, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #46 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

But then when you get the MS2i, the ugraditus bug in THAT pizza box jumps out and bites you and the only thing that will cure it is the RS-1...and so on...and so on...
tongue.gif

I'm waiting on my MS1...just ordered yesterday. For those of you that have bought the MS1 recently, how long was the wait? I'm anxious to get bit by some money draining, soul sucking, upgraditus bug!
icon10.gif

It's an interesting upgraditus bug. It jumps from the Pizza Box and must gain strength and maturity by living within your entire system before biting. A better system produces a stronger bite.

So the bite is only as effective as the system that will drive the phones!

I was lucky; my MS-1 bite was only to the MS2i level!!
smily_headphones1.gif

.....or a little more.
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #49 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, there must not have been an upgraditus bug in my MSPro pizza box, or it was dead, cuz with my Dared MP5 and MSPs... i am in sonic heaven
rs1smile.gif

Not dead! Just happy!!

Rumor has it that the bugs that ride with MS-Pro never bite. They just sit around in your system and enjoy the tunes!!

....I know. It's just a rumor!

but I believe it!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #51 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not dead! Just happy!!

Rumor has it that the bugs that ride with MS-Pro never bite. They just sit around in your system and enjoy the tunes!!

....I know. It's just a rumor!

but I believe it!
rs1smile.gif

Hahaha... I believe that too!!!!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #53 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that bug... I'm better now
evil_smiley.gif

The bug is still here; hanging on. It's trying to get me to upgrade my system.

...then I'll again be vulnerable.
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #54 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know of a good thread comparing SR60s & MS1s? I searched for one but didn't really find anything of much substance

Ask and you shall receive...........

gabbabe -"Grado SR-60 vs Alessandro MS-1 ">http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126445

Vii Haven-"Alessandro MS1 same as Grado SR60? ">>
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152347

Lion's -"SR60 vs MS-1? " http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162910

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #55 of 106
Quote:

The bug is still here; hanging on. It's trying to get me to upgrade my system.

...then I'll again be vulnerable.
frown.gif

M...
S...
-
P...
R...
O...

yeppers ... I hear them calling your name
blink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #57 of 106
Well, this is as good a place as any to post this I guess.

Right now I'm listening to my SR-225s with my new (to me) Corda Headfive. All I have to say is...
what.gif

I had read conflicting reports of how well the Headfive matched with Grados. A few people felt that the Grados were too sibiliant with the Headfive, which is what worried me most. I had an inkling that I wouldn't find this to be true because my previous amp (Gilmore Lite) wasn't excessively bright to my ears with the Grados and it was supposed to be a bit colder than the Headfive.

I'm very glad I trusted my instincts on this one. So far this thing is the NUTS. I wanted something that added just a tad bit of warmth to the SR-225s (over the GLite) and it turns out the Headfive is EXACTLY what I wanted. I definately do not want to go any warmer, though. A lot of people here recommend tubes with Grados, but I don't know if I would like tubes. The extra little bit of bass thump the Headfive gives is a nice addition, although, I was happy with the bass before and I didn't want any more if I had to sacrifice anything on the other end of the spectrum.

I listen to a lot of instrumental bluegrass/newgrass and generally a lot of acoustic music. A lot of this falls in the range where grados do their best work. Soundstage isn't really all that important to me with this type of music because of the intimate nature of the music itself. If you've ever seen a bluegrass show you'd know that a lot of the time they're all crowding around one mic and taking turns soloing into it. To be honest I was really quite satisfied with my 1212m -> GLite -> SR-225s because it was very good at resolving that kind of music. The only thing I wanted was to ease up on the harshness when I listen to cymbal crash heavy rock music.

I thought I was going to have to sacrifice a little bit to get something that fit that bill, but with the Headfive, I don't think there was any sacrifice. I still get the resolution I loved for acoustic music and I get a little less edge with over-compressed, white-hot rock music. On top of that, I feel there is greater body to the stand-up bass in bluegrass music, which I didn't even know I was really missing out on.

Well, I'm glad to say that I'm probably done buying head-fi related stuff for quite a while. Maybe it's time to move on and start some DIY projects. Anyone wanna recommend me a good soldering station?
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #58 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M...
S...
-
P...
R...
O...

yeppers ... I hear them calling your name
blink.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yup; I hear them, but I have good arguments for them.

For instance; the soundstage on my MS2i is almost as good as my HD600. And that's pretty darned good! Why on earth would I want it any better?!

And I love the tight accurate bass on my MS2i just the way it is. Why would I want it any deeper and with slightly more impact?! Silly; huh?

And some folks have complained that even MS-1 displays too many instruments and detail, and my MS2i already captures my attention so much that trying to type or do much of anything else while wearing them is very difficult. Why on earth would I want even better resolution and retrieval of of detail to distract me even further?! It's crazy!

And those silly lightweight wooden housings. What's up with that?! I really like the heft of the aluminum! They may try to fall off when I try to type. And perhaps they won't stay put when I try to do things, but they really feel substantial! Why would I want to give up all that for a bit more stability? I mean, when I put on my MS-1 after the MS2i, the cans seem to disappear! I don't even know they are there! I could get up and try to walk away while they are still on my head and cause major damage to those glorious wooden housings! It ain't worth the risk!!

And my system! It certainly wouldn't do the MS-Pros justice! My CD player is an old first or second generation CD/DVD player built like a tank! It may up and die soon! And my receiver is an old high current Onkyo that drives my MS2i and HD600s to ear splitting levels with the pot just above the off! It must not even be in its' power band yet.....or is that cars or bikes? Anyway, while I think my cans sound great with this system, I don't have anything to compare it to, and I suspect it may not be any good since it's not a "real" dedicated headphone amp!

So, see! I have answers for all the points the bug could make!

I'm so proud!!

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #59 of 106
at this moment in time... I can honestly say that my bug (packed with SR-60's) is banging its head happily with me while listening to my Marantz CD5001 -> HeadFive -> MS2i combo!

so yeah x2 for Ingo and F107plus5

I'm currently waiting for a 200 Ohm impedance adapter for my MS2i's so I can adjust volume a bit more freely on the HeadFive (currently I have to use the first quarter and even 9 o'clock seems unhealthy to me). Once it gets here I'll review it (supposed to bring out the lower freqs a bit more as well)

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #60 of 106
Quote:

So, see! I have answers for all the points the bug could make!

I'm so proud!!

Good man - the MS2i is a fantastic headphone and it seems you know that very very well
biggrin.gif

Just do yourself a favour... never listen to the RS-1 or MS-Pro. Your counterpoints will become moot instantly.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back