GRADO/ALESSANDRO INFORMATION CENTRAL.
Apr 19, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #91 of 106
great thread!
I've been a woody lover since my purchase of MS-Pros, now considering GS-1000s....

they are truly fine headphones with great American style....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #92 of 106
how about the grado/primo connection?

May 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #94 of 106
...AH..after one week of searching ....

Are you refering to this....

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I worked at Nakamichi I heard that Grados used the same driver as in the Nak SP-7. It was sources from a Japanese company called "Primo" or something like that.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't it bug you guys that (some) Grados (might) use three dollar Japanese (Primo) drivers?

Am I on the right track? And is this legitimate.?

Edit: and this >http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148416

May 2, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #95 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not off topic at all! And I'm surprised that nobody who really knows has responded to it. So I'll bump this to the front while tossing in a "guess."

My guess is that GS1K doesn't sound as much like a "real" Grado to fit right in with the family.

Too "good" to get down and rock out and get wild and drink beer with the buddies, huh?

Maybe...I dunno.
plainface.gif

They are more refined than the average Grado and they offer a soundscape that is very novel in the family. This either appeals to the fans or it doesn't. I have to say though, owning RS-1's, PS-1's and the GS-1000's and having owned nearly half a dozen HP-1000's over the years, the GS-1000 is my favourite Grado. There was a time that one would liken the RS-1 to a fine red wine and the 325's for instance as a robust imported stout. So what is the GS-1000? If we remain in the realm if C-OH then a GS-1000 is akin to a Romanée Conti 1978. It's not just a fine red wine, it's among the best in the world and it takes a lot to understand it to its full depth. For oenophiles, one could write a substantial volume on the Romanée Conti, but to mere wine appreciators, they may sip, enjoy and want to open up a bottle of something else for a different taste.

Is either person wrong in doing what they do? For choosing what they do? No. Does it mean that one has a more refined pallet? Refined may be the wrong word in either this wine analogy or when using it in relation to ears and comparing the GS-1000's and RS-1's. However, there is no doubt that the GS-1000's offer more than the RS-1's could hope to offer and when balanced well, in a well setup system, the GS-1000's, to my ears, shine like no other (still haven't heard the HE90 though).

The GS-1000's may be cost prohibitive for most, not just in the MSRP or sale prices but also in relation to the gear that is required. One would not drink the Romanée Conti out of a plastic cup, it would destroy the taste not to mention the experience. Same with the GS-1000, it is a far more sensitive phone to upstream gear and as such, demands the goods from start to finish if it is to perform at its best.

It is about the layering and the subtleties why retaining the groove and the goods. Grados have always been incredible at the latter two, but many have argued against the first two (save perhaps for HP-1's and PS-1's), now there is no arguing, the GS-1000's do it in spades and perhaps better than any other phone ever created.

May 2, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #96 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, and the fact that the early SR325 was black aluminum before it went to silver.

Black aluminum!? I always thought the original SR325 shared the black plastic of other SR models (obviously I've never seen one in person though).

-jesse

May 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #97 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black aluminum!? I always thought the original SR325 shared the black plastic of other SR models (obviously I've never seen one in person though).

-jesse

325's have always had a metal housing.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #100 of 106
I read through this whole thread and I have a dumb question. I just got some MS-1's and they are burning in with my new red Tomahawk. How long do I burn in the MS-1's?

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #101 of 106
Thanks for the great post
tongue.gif

i'm sure they're amazing,because all of the pro reviews claim they are,and there isn't one bad review about them,just here on head-fi,it's just weird to me that many people like RS-1 more than GS-1000,because RS-1 is cheaper,and older,so it makes no sense when they claim that RS-1 is better than GS-1000.
so you cleared up some thing for me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are more refined than the average Grado and they offer a soundscape that is very novel in the family. This either appeals to the fans or it doesn't. I have to say though, owning RS-1's, PS-1's and the GS-1000's and having owned nearly half a dozen HP-1000's over the years, the GS-1000 is my favourite Grado. There was a time that one would liken the RS-1 to a fine red wine and the 325's for instance as a robust imported stout. So what is the GS-1000? If we remain in the realm if C-OH then a GS-1000 is akin to a Romanée Conti 1978. It's not just a fine red wine, it's among the best in the world and it takes a lot to understand it to its full depth. For oenophiles, one could write a substantial volume on the Romanée Conti, but to mere wine appreciators, they may sip, enjoy and want to open up a bottle of something else for a different taste.

Is either person wrong in doing what they do? For choosing what they do? No. Does it mean that one has a more refined pallet? Refined may be the wrong word in either this wine analogy or when using it in relation to ears and comparing the GS-1000's and RS-1's. However, there is no doubt that the GS-1000's offer more than the RS-1's could hope to offer and when balanced well, in a well setup system, the GS-1000's, to my ears, shine like no other (still haven't heard the HE90 though).

The GS-1000's may be cost prohibitive for most, not just in the MSRP or sale prices but also in relation to the gear that is required. One would not drink the Romanée Conti out of a plastic cup, it would destroy the taste not to mention the experience. Same with the GS-1000, it is a far more sensitive phone to upstream gear and as such, demands the goods from start to finish if it is to perform at its best.

It is about the layering and the subtleties why retaining the groove and the goods. Grados have always been incredible at the latter two, but many have argued against the first two (save perhaps for HP-1's and PS-1's), now there is no arguing, the GS-1000's do it in spades and perhaps better than any other phone ever created.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #103 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read through this whole thread and I have a dumb question. I just got some MS-1's and they are burning in with my new red Tomahawk. How long do I burn in the MS-1's?

Cook em for as long as you would cook a hamburger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back