Grado 325is or Sennhieser hd600
May 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

doflo98

New Head-Fier
Hi I am new to the whole audiophile world and would like to ask what headphone I should get. I have narrowed it down to these headphones because I think these two will best suit my needs.I primarily listen to rock but I often listen to a variety of genres. The headphones I will get will be somewhat portable and have to work well with my Ipod. If possible if you could suggest a good cheap portable headphone amp that would be greatly appreciated as well.

May 30, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 11
For out of the ipod and portability I would vote for the grados. From what I know they're pretty easy to drive compared to the sennheisers. I can drive my grados easily from my sansa clip+. I'm not sure how much power the HD600's need. 

May 30, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 11
If you plan on ipod usage without an external amp then Grados are much better bet as the HD600 requires strong amplification.

May 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 11
HD600's need serious amping, I'd go for SR325, MS-2 or SR225.

May 30, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Grados. They are easy to drive.

May 30, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 11
If the majority of your music tends towards acoustic, classical and folk, the HD600 would probably be better overall. If not, Grado will satisfy with most other genres,- SR325is, SR225, SR80is. HD600 sounds excellent with acoustic guitar and vocals. Get a used HD580 for about $160 and be happy.

May 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 11
The Grados can be driven from your iPod, and the SR325is is IMO a great headphone. When it comes to portability the Grados might be the more fragile ones, due to the construction with the cups mounted on a metal stick. On the other hand they fold flat, so carrying them around your neck should probably be save enough.

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
The Grados can be driven from your iPod, and the SR325is is IMO a great headphone. 

I often thought that too - based on what I'd read and what my local Grado dealer told me.  Based on that information, I put off adding an amplifier into my mix.  I added the FiiO E11 and Bam! - what a difference did it make.  I've always been happy with the Grado lineup, but I've now realized that an amp is almost essential to squeeze the last bit of capabilities and make these headphones shine.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
I often thought that too - based on what I'd read and what my local Grado dealer told me.  Based on that information, I put off adding an amplifier into my mix.  I added the FiiO E11 and Bam! - what a difference did it make.  I've always been happy with the Grado lineup, but I've now realized that an amp is almost essential to squeeze the last bit of capabilities and make these headphones shine.

I agree - it sounds even better with an amp. I've used the SR325is both with my iPod Touch and with my Lehmann, and the amp does make quite a difference. But I still think they are great too, just with the iPod
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back