Grado 325i, Are Hi Fi Mags Truthful?
Jun 7, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
If you are so completely satisfied with the sound of headphones then why own so many?

My guess would be as they say: "Variety is the spice of life....".

Ant

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

If you are so completely satisfied with the sound of headphones then why own so many?

I do not believe the number of encounters you have is an indication of one's level of satisfaction - if anything, repeated exposure with a variety of experiences only serve to whet your appetite for your objects of desire.

*All analogies you can make with romance are up to your discretion.*

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

They are not all mine. My point was not to brag about what I do own or not, just what I have in experience. This site is about a hobby that revolves around the enjoyment of music which I assuem we all love, else we would not be here. I am obviously in the camp that headphones are on par if not superceding speakers worth much more than headphones, or in some aspects always besting them (microdetail and microdynamics as well as transient response, being among them). If you like speakers so much, then kudos. It is not as if you ahve not heard good headphones, heck you own 225's, which I enjoy muchly. different strokes...

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Women with 20+ pairs of shoes don't like shoes
Rich people with 10+ cars don't like cars
Guys with multiple girlfriends don't like girls

hehe... exactly what I was thinking.
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
What Hi Fi quote from the new issue out in the UK concerning the Grado 325i;

'In fact, consider that a pair of speakers of similar sonic ability would set you back three grand ..... '

Does this mean that Headphones are superior to speakers?

I like both speakers and headphones but anyone spending three grand for speakers without getting something better sounding than the grado 325i just spent $2700 too much.

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

I like both speakers and headphones but anyone spending three grand for speakers without getting something better sounding than the grado 325i just spent $2700 too much.

300 bucks speakers that beat Mid-range Grados sound-quality wise?
Oh I'll have a pair please...

Jun 7, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #68 of 77
Quote:

You speak with little to no experience about headphones and arguing with you would be as much time wasted as arguing with CannedHam. Go audition headphones, find out for yourself that they do indeed sound alot better than speakers costing 10 times their price, and THEN you can come back and argue. Until you've done so, stop stirring up a debate when you have not heard anything yourself.

What you can do is, open a new thread saying speakers own headphones, and you and canman can discuss how right you are and how everybody else is just plain dumb in there, no need to pollute our eyes with your BS
wink.gif

Your friend CannedHam wised up, I think its about time you chose to take that very same decision.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
You speak with little to no experience about headphones and arguing with you would be as much time wasted as arguing with CannedHam. Go audition headphones, find out for yourself that they do indeed sound alot better than speakers costing 10 times their price, and THEN you can come back and argue. Until you've done so, stop stirring up a debate when you have not heard anything yourself.

What you can do is, open a new thread saying speakers own headphones, and you and canman can discuss how right you are and how everybody else is just plain dumb in there, no need to pollute our eyes with your BS
wink.gif

Your friend CannedHam wised up, I think its about time you chose to take that very same decision.

Dude, you have serious issues. You are neither informed nor a gentleman.

Someone had a general inquiry into the validity of the headphones vs speakers debate. The magazine statement was, in my experience, false. I have given numerous speakers that outperform the Grados (limiting myself to the 325's), with my primary criteria being musicality (members of my family play piano, guitar, trumpet, and sax... we play daily... and I look for a system that can offer the same enjoyment playing live does.. you know it when you hear it). Numerous people have similar complaints of the Grados. Look at the frequency response. I do not even consider them full range.

Quite simply, there is a place for both. I enjoy my HD600's and K271s (and my old Stax) for what they are. I enjoy headphones, and the knowledge here can be helpful. You keep trying to turn everything into a fight and taking positions. All you end up doing is trying to hold on to your beliefs (and showing a lack of manners, never mind disregard for the scientific method).

I have enjoyed Zanth's comments... and would like to discuss with him further via pm.

In the future, if I choose to no longer respond, please interpret it as nothing more than distaste for your inability to have a civil discussion.

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

If you are so completely satisfied with the sound of $200 speakers, and there are no great headphones to be had at any price, why are you on a headphone forum?

Quote:

Duh.

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #72 of 77
Economics dictates that $300 speakers are exactly equal to $300 headphones.If speakers at this price were a lot better than headphones than nobody would buy the headphones and all of the manufacturers would go out of business.In turn,if the headphones were a lot better than the speakers at this price than nobody would buy the speakers resulting in all speakers going out of production.To say that one costs ten times more than the other at an equal value in nonsence.

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

Economics dictates that $300 speakers are exactly equal to $300 headphones.If speakers at this price were a lot better than headphones than nobody would buy the headphones and all of the manufacturers would go out of business.In turn,if the headphones were a lot better than the speakers at this price than nobody would buy the speakers resulting in all speakers going out of production.To say that one costs ten times more than the other at an equal value in nonsence.

Actually economics is supply and demand in its pure form, right? Well, folks with speakers on the mind might just hate headphones, and vice versa - we are talking about two different markets. There might be some crossover, but for the most part you are in one camp or the other. To take the idea further (hypothetically) you wouldn't say "a $10,000 bike is equal to a $10,000 car" right? Because a 10k bike can kick ass, and a 10k car is about to collapse into rust chips on a college campus somewhere. But both transport humans, so we must be talking about the same thing, right? Wrong- they are different markets, and what the bike folks value with the same amount of money gives a different performance-pleasure/price ratio than the car folks are looking for.

*note to mods - please don't add "Who doesn't like a good Bike/Car Analogy?" to my title, please!*

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

I don't understand your reasoning in the least; I find this to be a non sequitur . I live in a house completely taken over by toddlers. Speakers are simply a no go for me. It doesn't matter if the best speakers ever made were $300, I wouldn't own them because I couldn't use them. So the arguement about one or the other as a purchased item in an absolute sense is ridiculous. They both serve distinct functions though within the same realm of use - i.e. sound reproduction.

As for the numbers...arithmetic dictates that $300 = $300 but economics merely dictates that at a certain price point, a manufacturer was able to meet certain goals and sell the item at a certain cost. Here - $300. A speaker generally costs more money than a headphone because there are more materials used. Therefore, at lower dollar values, headphones will generally supercede speakers in the sound department because it is cheaper to get better sound out of a headphone than a speaker. If one were to start with an unlimited amount of money, then we would simply end up at square one, with those who love intimacy and ultimate detail heading over to headphones and those that love realism, imaging and bass imact, heading over to speakers.

It is evident you don't dig headphones as much as your speakers. That is fine, but well, many here feel differently that is fine too. I think we should move off this topic now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back