Grado 325i, Are Hi Fi Mags Truthful?
Jun 7, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #76 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
Economics dictates that $300 speakers are exactly equal to $300 headphones.If speakers at this price were a lot better than headphones than nobody would buy the headphones and all of the manufacturers would go out of business.In turn,if the headphones were a lot better than the speakers at this price than nobody would buy the speakers resulting in all speakers going out of production.To say that one costs ten times more than the other at an equal value in nonsence.

Any economist will tell you that conclusion is completely invalid because it doesn't take into account the different target markets (size and nature), different elasticities of demand, vastly different supply curves, and probably many other crucial factors.

Only if both the supply and demand curves for headphones/sepakers were equivalent (and the market was one homogenous segment), would this be the case. Reality isn't even close.

Jun 7, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #77 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I don't understand your reasoning in the least; I find this to be a non sequitur . I live in a house completely taken over by toddlers. Speakers are simply a no go for me. It doesn't matter if the best speakers ever made were $300, I wouldn't own them because I couldn't use them. So the arguement about one or the other as a purchased item in an absolute sense is ridiculous. They both serve distinct functions though within the same realm of use - i.e. sound reproduction.

As for the numbers...arithmetic dictates that $300 = $300 but economics merely dictates that at a certain price point, a manufacturer was able to meet certain goals and sell the item at a certain cost. Here - $300. A speaker generally costs more money than a headphone because there are more materials used. Therefore, at lower dollar values, headphones will generally supercede speakers in the sound department because it is cheaper to get better sound out of a headphone than a speaker. If one were to start with an unlimited amount of money, then we would simply end up at square one, with those who love intimacy and ultimate detail heading over to headphones and those that love realism, imaging and bass imact, heading over to speakers.

It is evident you don't dig headphones as much as your speakers. That is fine, but well, many here feel differently that is fine too. I think we should move off this topic now.

Agreed!this thread died a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back