Grabbing a New Pair of Headphones - Any suggestions would be great!
Oct 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kyle11690

New Head-Fier
So,

I am looking to get a new pair of headphones soon to replace my Denon- AHD1001's which I am giving to my brother.

I live with 5 other guys in a house so I need closed headphones for privacy and keeping sound from leaking out of my room.

I am really just looking for a well rounded pair of headphones with decent bass, it doesn't need to be off the wall but a little punch is good. Especially ones that If I did want to add some significant bass, I could with an amp like the ZO.

I listen to mostly hip-hop, dubstep, electronic. But, I do happen to dabble with classical, rock, as well as most others.

I play a decent amount of Computer games and watch movies as well, so I would want them to work well with both

I have been looking at the Fischer Audio FA-003's and they really seem spot on for the price.

Price range- $250 or less.

Any suggestions would be great. I have learned a lot about headphones from this site, but I'm still getting there.

Thanks,

Kyle

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
So,
I am looking to get a new pair of headphones soon to replace my Denon- AHD1001's which I am giving to my brother.
I live with 5 other guys in a house so I need closed headphones for privacy and keeping sound from leaking out of my room.
I am really just looking for a well rounded pair of headphones with decent bass, it doesn't need to be off the wall but a little punch is good. Especially ones that If I did want to add some significant bass, I could with an amp like the ZO.
I listen to mostly hip-hop, dubstep, electronic. But, I do happen to dabble with classical, rock, as well as most others.
I play a decent amount of Computer games and watch movies as well, so I would want them to work well with both
I have been looking at the Fischer Audio FA-003's and they really seem spot on for the price.
Price range- $250 or less.
Any suggestions would be great. I have learned a lot about headphones from this site, but I'm still getting there.
Thanks,
Kyle

What sources will the headphones be plugged into?

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 17
I'd say look into a used Denon AH-D2000.  They're closed but they do leak some sound, not sure how much isolation you need with them.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 17
Fischer Audio FA-003's sound nice and are super comfy so they get a vote from me as well.

I use a pair of AH-D2000's and if you can find them within your budget jump on them.  They are a spectacular headphone especially well amped.

Another great closed can is the DT880 ( 32 Ohm ) should be high on your list.  Both the D2000 and DT880 peak at about $320 new and go down from there used.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Forgot to mention, I don't have an amp at the moment, and with what I plan to spend on cans, I don't plan on spending much for an amp. Will probably get a cheap one.

With that in mind, does anyone know how the bass of the Fischer FA-003's is compared to the AH-D2000's?  How are these two cans different from each other? Does either need to be amped to bring out any bass, and do either of these get bass boosts from cheap amps?

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 17
The FA-003s sound a bit more neutral in comparison to the D2000.  The D2000's really require a nice amp to sound their best.  Straight out of a standard iPod they sound a tad bassy and uncontrolled, not bad, just loose.

If you can wait a week or so I can try to do an A/B comparison of the 2 if Tyll still has his FA-003's.  If that happens I will post both amped and unamped results.  If you search around here though you can find some reviews of both headphones.

Personally both sound nice, but the D2000 is the better headphone.

You can check out the measurements for both here and compare for yourself.  Keep in mind the D2000 is one of those headphones that appears in many peoples top 10 lists including mine.

FA-003
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FischerAudioFA003.pdf

D2000
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD2000.pdf

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 17
Too bad about the isolation, FA-011's would be perfect.  The Fa-03's are good headphones, however, they'll probably be too neutral for your tastes.  And with the D2000's, price and amping will probably eliminate them for you.

I've gotta toss Ultrasone Pro 550's into the mix, they have good soundstage (for gaming and movies), good sound for the genres you enjoy, and easy to drive.  Isolation is fairly good, better if you add some dampening material to the cups (don't know if you care to mod).

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 17
If I were to get the D2000's what would be a reasonably priced amp to get? Below $100. Ive heard the ZO http://www.digizoid.com/zo/    is decent for bass increases, but I hear at the highest setting can be overwhelming. Any suggestions or experiences? And how are the Ultrason Pro 550's compared to the D2000's? and do the Untrasone's have decent bass?

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 17
My recommendation (if you can stretch the budget a little) would be the Little Dot i+.  Amazing little tube amp for the price and very customizable.  I've also got a pair of D2k's and it pairs really nicely with this amp.

Brand new they go for $110 but used ones generally aren't too hard to find.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 17
I actually don't think I will utilize a regular amp enough. I would much prefer a decent portable amp.

and does anyone have experience with the Ultrasone Pro 550's compared to the D2000's?

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 17
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Denon-AH-D2000-Stereo-Over-Ear-Headphones-AHD-2000-/280696619461?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item415ad281c5

Anyone see anything wrong with this deal? I'm trying to figure out if its covered by warranty ect ect.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 17
From what I hear the ATH- A700's are lacking Bass, which I indeed enjoy.

Anyone have any experience with  the ATH- M50's?......... compared to the AH-D2000's?

Both are bass heavy but which is an overall better can for the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back