GR07 - Tips Thread
Sep 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #122 of 349
Quote:
Try the Shure olives.:)

Ha. No.

They don't fit without heating up/stretching out the core, and they considerably muffle the sound. Trust me, it's not worth it.

Good foams would be the Jays fomies, or comply TS400s if you're willing to sacrifice the plastic core from your stock tips.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #123 of 349
Something I do when I change tips that makes it much easier to do is to turn the tip inside out and put your finger in the dome it creates. Then just push the tip on. Way easier than just putting it on normally.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #124 of 349
Quote:

Ha. No.

They don't fit without heating up/stretching out the core, and they considerably muffle the sound. Trust me, it's not worth it.

Good foams would be the Jays fomies, or comply TS400s if you're willing to sacrifice the plastic core from your stock tips.

The main problem with the olives is not putting them on but taking them off. It took me less than 2 minutes to stretch them and put them on but taking them off is a pain in the as*. I've never tried the comply Ts series but I put on t-100s relatively easy, so I guess ts-100 should be the same and eliminate the need for using cores from another tips. Anyway, I tried different foam tips on GR04, 06 and 07- the stock ones, olives, comply t100, ety black foamies and I just reached the conclusion that they just don't sound good with foamies. I might give the Ts ones a go though as I'm so used to the isolation of my er4s and my b2 that now if my ears aren't sealed with foam or raped by tri-flanges I feel odd.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #125 of 349
Quote:

Ha. No.

i do agree with you that it does sound a bit muffled but it has increased the isolation to my ears. a reasonable trade off for me personally. but fitting them on and getting them off is not an issue for me thus far. didn't have to heat stretch the core instead just apply some precision finger nail action to get it off. hehe. but with my limited tips inventory and experience, there are much better foamies out there as per your recommendation. just relating my experience with the shure olives coz they do last long.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #126 of 349
I've cycled through a ton of tips for my GR07, and I've found the included black double flanges to be the best.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #128 of 349
Don't forget Monster Supertips, these foam tips will have the least effect on the treble due to it's wide silicone bore. Unfortunately, they're pricey...

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #129 of 349
Quote:

Those are not Jays Foams! They are some generic foam tips that fit Jays IEM's (among others), according to the seller. Jays Foams are really hard to find, as I believe they were discontinued... 
frown.gif

These are Jays Foams:

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #133 of 349
I've been through the Ts-400, SuperTips, Shure Olives, and MEElec triple flanges. I started out with the leftover Olives and I've gone back to using them after trying everything else out. Here's a quick summary of my impressions of each:

MEElec triple flanges: Worked alright but tended to lose their seal after 10 or 20 minutes. Sounded good but once they loosened up and lost the seal they lost all bass. I found the triple flanges to be really uncomfortable after a while, so I only managed to use them for a couple of days. This is probably just a case of them not fitting well for me. If triple flanges are your thing I'd imagine they would work well.

SuperTips: The ones I received were so bad I couldn't use them for more than 10 minutes. Both the gel and the foam tips were much stiffer than the Complys and Shures and didn't seal well at all. They get 0/5 stars from me as they weren't even functional in comparison to the others.

Comply Ts-400: Pretty good, but I found they wear out faster than the Shures. If I could get tips that were made of the Shure foam but built in the shape of these, I'd be in heaven. They're quite comfortable and sound about as good as the Shures, at least until they wear out. They isolate decently, but not as much as the Shures. The biggest problem I had with them is they were a bit too loose. They would sometimes pop off the headphone stem when I rolled them up to put them on.

Shure Olives (medium): These are what I started using when I first bought the GR07s and they're what I've finally settled on again after wasting a bunch of money on other tips :) They may be just a little more muffled than other options, but they isolate much better and the bass is fuller. I tend to listen at low volumes so I appreciate being able to hear bass at low levels as well as the additional isolation. I've found the best way to stretch out the Shure core is to use a pair of tapered plastic chopsticks. I throw each tip on a chopstick (narrow end first) and slowly push each tip about a third of the way down. I do it in about 3 increments and the plastic will slowly stretch out. After that they pop onto the stems pretty easily. I've found I have to use a utility knife to get them back off sometimes, but that's no big deal. No problems with them accidentally popping off either :)

So my personal peference is Olives -> Complys -> MEElec if you want triple flanges -> don't get the SuperTips.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #134 of 349
I have to say that it was PITA to find the right tips for the gr07. I've never had such a hard time getting a good fit, seal and sound with any other iem. I literally tried probably like 20 different pairs without luck, so for a while I settled for the blue hybrids, which were big for me but at least they retained the seal. In the end I decided to try the meelec tri-flanges and as I wasn't sure which size would fit me went for this pack http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm , so I can also try the double flanges. I received it yesterday and surprise - the tri-flanges didn't fit me well and neither did the bi-flanges (it's not because I'm not used to wearing multi-flange tips - I am, but the size wasn't right). I was pretty disappointed  again but just out of curiosity decided to try the medium meelec single-flange tips in the pack as they seemed somewhere between the green and the blue hybrids but slightly rounder and with a slightly larger bore and voila - they were just right in every way. So finally, I'm completely satisfied but vsonic deffinitely took their time to make the nozzle as wrong size as possible.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #135 of 349
When mine arrived, I changed immeditally to the largest tips provided in the packet, they were perfect. :p

The end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back