GR07 - Tips Thread
Nov 7, 2011 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 349

kflo

New Head-Fier
what tips fit the GR07?

i have the stock tips from the new pack, which includes i think 18 pairs.

i get the best fit from the stock foam.

the etymotic grey tri-flanges also fit, although you need to stretch them to fit, as the ety tip is smaller.

i can squeeze the shure olives without modding them but its tight and feels like you're almost going to break the gr07 while putting them on and off.  

which comply fits?  and how well?  

same for jays?  

monster?

i know there's alot of info in the gr07 appreciation thread but figured a single thread about tips could be helpful.

coming from the ety's and shures before, it's a bit difficult to find the right fit, as i'm more used to deeper insertion and better isolation.  

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 349
Sony Hybrid tips fit.

Comply T-400 and TX-400 fit.

Monster Supertips Foam and Gel fit.

Good idea by the way, saves people reading through the appreciation thead, which is now over 120 pages long.

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 349
A lot of people (including myself) find that the Jays silicone tips are the best. Other tips that fit are the tips from the Meelectronics M6, Hifiman white biflanges, ADDIEM tips, and klipsch oval tips. The sony hybrids also fit. erip10 has stated that the tips from his HJE900 fit perfectly and sound the best

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 349
The GR07's came with a wide variety of tips, including a collection that seem to be modeled after Sony hybrid tips.  I stuck to the green sony knock-offs, considering the (real) sony greens worked well for me in the past.  However when I ate, or got really into the music, I frequently lost the seal.  

Eventually, I dug my genuine sony green hybrids out, and saw that they were very slightly larger than the ones supplied with the GR07s.  They were a little bit thinner, (the outer black area) and the core was graduated in a way that made it MUCH easier to put them on the tube than the knock-offs.  I did some experimenting, and in spite of the similarities, the Sonys worked much better for me.  Eating, singing, headbanging, these things barely moved.

I actually hate putting the supplied sony-like earbuds on this thing, as they are so difficult to pull over the tube.  It feels like I'm going to damage these little gems.  I'll do more experimenting.  thinking of ordering some complys, but I don't think that I will like the way they change the sound.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 349
?? The real Sony Hybrids, stretch perfectly with ease> It's possible your fakes will loosen up. Comply's t-400 I found flipping them over, they sound great. Proper way is too muffled. Overall, I like the Jays silicone, and The Original oval shape single flanges. Also Phonacs are excellent and the Sony hybrids are too

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 349
freefallr:  You started your response with some question marks.  Do I need to clarify something in my post?  I agree that the sonys stretch easily over the stem.  The only difficulty I've had was with the tips that are very simillar to sony's line of hybrid tips.  They share sony's color-coded-core sizing scheme.  For example, a light green core means large tip, dark green means medium-large.  I think that vsonic intended to copy Sony's ear tips.

Anyway, those copy-cat tips don't easily stretch over the stem of the gr07.  The sonys work beatifully.  The vsonic tips might loosen up, but I don't think that it would be worth the effort.

By the way, I'm interested in your idea of reversing the direction of comply foam tips.  I have a pair of S4's with comply tips.  I never cared much for them because I couldn't get them to fit without the complys, and the complys changed the sound too much.  If your idea works well, then I'll be picking up some complys that will fit gr07's massive stem.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 349

Quote:
freefallr:  You started your response with some question marks.  Do I need to clarify something in my post?  I agree that the sonys stretch easily over the stem.  The only difficulty I've had was with the tips that are very simillar to sony's line of hybrid tips.  They share sony's color-coded-core sizing scheme.  For example, a light green core means large tip, dark green means medium-large.  I think that vsonic intended to copy Sony's ear tips.

Anyway, those copy-cat tips don't easily stretch over the stem of the gr07.  The sonys work beatifully.  The vsonic tips might loosen up, but I don't think that it would be worth the effort.

By the way, I'm interested in your idea of reversing the direction of comply foam tips.  I have a pair of S4's with comply tips.  I never cared much for them because I couldn't get them to fit without the complys, and the complys changed the sound too much.  If your idea works well, then I'll be picking up some complys that will fit gr07's massive stem.

I'm re-reading your post and mine, and I don't even remember why I put the Question marks there.( I must have been thinking about my recent X girlfriend  
confused.gif
 )Yeah reversing the Comply's really help out. Also when you rolling the foam, you can simultaneously push back the front of the tip, ensuring they retain their full opening. Still I feel the silicones I have mentioned (Jays, Sony's, Phonacs Headfi Biflange) are all better, but for Movies and Video the Comply's are really Comfortable. The only problem that I have reversing the comply's is that if I'm resting on my side and the Vsonic is slighty pushed in more from the extra pressure, the tubing can be felt in ear. Other than that, they sound superb, 

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #9 of 349

Quote:
A lot of people (including myself) find that the Jays silicone tips are the best. Other tips that fit are the tips from the Meelectronics M6, Hifiman white biflanges, ADDIEM tips, and klipsch oval tips. The sony hybrids also fit. erip10 has stated that the tips from his HJE900 fit perfectly and sound the best

jays silicone tips from which product? a jays ? q jays? or??

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 349
I just tried the grey foamy tips that came in the package.  They sounded great, and although the tips themselves were comfortable, they were longer than the sony (and fake sony) tips.  This caused the square housing to come into contact with the back part of my ear, and made these IEMs very uncomfortable. No matter how I moved that nozzle, I couldn't stop the annoying contact with the back of my ear. Why did they make these things square?  This probably rules out Comply tips for me as well.

Another minor complaint is that the foam doesn't expand slowly like comply foam does.  Almost as soon as you stop squeezing, the foam puffs back out, making it more difficult to get a good fit.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 349
One of my supplied grey tips fell apart after the 1st week.  I tried super gluing it, but didn't get the sleeve inserted to the same depth as the original before it set up. 
confused.gif
  Clios recommended the Comply T200s in a post, and, while they fit on the nozzles, they aren't very tight.  They've gotten stuck in my ear canals 3 times tonight, and I've had to use my handy removal method which consists of using the mini plug pushed through the opening, squeezing the tip against my ear canal, and using the mini-plug to pry them out.  (This doesn't work with Shure sized nozzle tips.)

The tips supplied with me EX51s are too big.  Are the Hybrids that much smaller in diameter?

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #14 of 349
i've actually settled on the shure triple flange with the stem cut off.  Best seal and fit for me, and fits the gr07 nicely (because it stretches).  this is the tip (with the stem on):

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 349
Does anyone know where to buy Jays tips? Also, does anyone know if the supplied tips are actually Sony hybrids or some kind of fake? I just got the gr07 and received TONS of tips but all are too small. How do the Sony hybrids compare to the fake Sonys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back