GoVibe Vest amp and DAC 24/192 (upsampled from 96kHz) Dual WMA8740
Feb 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

shigzeo

The Hiss King
TouchMyApps review is live.

In the last week, I've had the pleasure of listening to the new Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII, and along with them, a combo I feel really matches, the GoVibe Vest. From what I understand, the name comes from old view or TW cameras. Who knows.

What I do know is that this is an impressive, ssmall DAC/amp with a very low noise floor and smooth sound output. As most DAC machines are marketed today, it isn't a full DAC. There are no optical or coaxial inputs, just USB. 

Internally, it is powered by a lithium something battery, so it also works with the iPad, though I've been using it mainly with my MacBook Pro. I'll be spending more time with it in the next week to tell you what  I think are it's merits and it's demerits. 

For its price of about 300$, I think it is a good to excellent product. I've not hardened up my opinion on this, but so far, I think it compares very well. 

I can think of many pluses to this amp so far: 
1. Low noise floor
2. Smooth, clean output
3. Small size
4. Easy to charge, play, and store
5. Use of dual Wolfson WMA8740SEDS DAC chips

Minuses:
1. The volume pot is a bit wobbly, and can grind against the housing if you don't carefully turn it.
2. In typical Jaben flare, there is next to no documentation with the product itself.

If I were to put a sound template to it, I would say: it is more of an iBasso P3+ than it is an ALO Rx, meaning it doesn't have the same power-or-bust dry sound of the latter, though I've detected no problems driving rather a good range of earphones.

Graciously, Musica Acoustics provided this for review

Pictures:

Dual Wolfson : WM8740SEDS
USB Audio controller: TAS1020B

Again, TouchMyApps review is live.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 24
Review saved and update:

I removed the cover this afternoon and found that it uses dual DAC's much like the iBasso D4 Mamba did. The DAC's are: WMA8740SEDS from Wolfson. That may explain the smooth sound in this amp as I've discovered for better or worse, Wolfson's have a slightly smooth, slightly laid back sound in comparison to their competition from Cirrus, for instance.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 24
Interesting. If I understood correctly, that DAC is USB Audio Class 2 compliant through a driver provided that allows for 24/192 output?

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 24
I read elsewhere that Go-Vibe have an aggressive SS in general, is this true or not, because you say they are smooth?

I'm was looking at the Vulcan (I need optical, USB and analogue in), but it seems the only on available is the mini, and from what Iread the Vulcan VB sounded the best.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 24
I demoed the GoVibe VestAmp, just as an amp without the use of its DAC stage, to the GoVibe Magnum. Again just as amps, and not DAC/Amps.

And I have to say, for my ears, I preferred the Magnum's amp presentation. I felt the Magnum's sound was warmer, which is more to my liking. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 24
I have tried only a handful of GoVibe amps, the first being the Hippo Box+, which had a built-in treble roll off. I assume that not all Jaben amps are aggressive sounding. Lately, I've been trying loads out at Musica Acoustics and found that in comparison to other amps, there is a good array of sound qualities.

The Vest is very high resolution, but has a less edgy sound than say, an ALO Rx (in the high end), for instance, and an iBasso T3D (on the low end). Those I consider resolving to the end (the Rx being the most resolving amp I've tried), but less smooth (for lack of a good, expressive term). 

The porta tube+ was the first GoVibe I really cared for, and the Vest is the 2nd. I'm itchy even for a purchase, but not sure I have the dosh now. I've been out of the portable amp camp for about a year as I've been moving around and brought aught but my earphones with me. I'm settled now, still without speakers, still with several good headphones, and looking for something to sink a little money into now.

I'll be doing a full review of the Vest that I've borrowed and may be able to do the same with a Porta Tube+ (though I doubt I'll get to spend a lot of time with it as it is expensive). Again, these are the first Jaben amps I've cared for, and which I actually respect.

Quote:
I read elsewhere that Go-Vibe have an aggressive SS in general, is this true or not, because you say they are smooth?

I'm was looking at the Vulcan (I need optical, USB and analogue in), but it seems the only on available is the mini, and from what Iread the Vulcan VB sounded the best.

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 24
Smooth seems to be an appropriate term, My ASUS xonar essence stx + Denon D2k has a horrible impedance mismatch and it causes bloated bass, and overly harsh notes, they just seem to hit too hard and transition too little, which makes them unpleasant for listening. Compared to old receivers i have lying around the house which lack the detail but are much much much more pleasant to listen to, which is a shame tbh.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 24
I'll be spending some more time with mine in the next few days, hopefully enough for a final review. It's been too long since I've first started using it to not publish. My wife hates amps, but thinks this one is pretty cool. Why? The looks of course!

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 24
Official TouchMyApps review is up!

Overall, I feel this is a great sounding amp, in line with more expensive amps in that it has an appreciable amount of distortion and some good features. I find that distortion is one of the paramounts in today's amp world as it sounds so good and smooth. If you've wanted a tube amp but can't afford it, the VestAmp and + has that sort of smooth sound that is half way in between tube and solid state. Well done.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 24
Perhaps I can offer my personal thought of it. I listened to the Vestamp+ sometime ago at Jaben along with other GoVibe and iBasso DAC/Amp, out of the D6, D7, Magnum, Vestamp+, Portatube+ with my UM Miracle custom-iem, the D7 and Magnum (which I own) come out as the better one in terms of overall price, performance, and musicality.

Its true that Vestamp+ might be a pretty good portable dac/amp, it has a slightly dark and smooth sound signature which is musical and relaxing to listen to, but overall I don't really agree that it is wonderful in its price bracket as the Fiio E17 which is half its price, delivers similar sound signature with more features. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 24
Thank you for the input. I've not heard the Fiio E17, so I can't comment on its performance or features. One thing I find with Jaben products is that price ranges so wildly that it is very hard to suss what's a good price and what's a bad price. I'll probably get to hear it at the upcoming headphone festival here in Tokyo. So far, the reviews for it are ecstatic about the features, but overall, the sound isn't considered quite as highly as the VestAmp. Still, with digital in from SPDIF and USB, what a wonderful device.

I think it's too bad the Magnum isn't on the market anymore. That was a do-it-all amp that was quite nice and had crisper sound, but the slightly laid back signature is very nice. I'm still convinced that for an amp with a decent USB in (most are just okay) and DUAL DAC chips, it is a very good option.
Quote:
Perhaps I can offer my personal thought of it. I listened to the Vestamp+ sometime ago at Jaben along with other GoVibe and iBasso DAC/Amp, out of the D6, D7, Magnum, Vestamp+, Portatube+ with my UM Miracle custom-iem, the D7 and Magnum (which I own) come out as the better one in terms of overall price, performance, and musicality.

Its true that Vestamp+ might be a pretty good portable dac/amp, it has a slightly dark and smooth sound signature which is musical and relaxing to listen to, but overall I don't really agree that it is wonderful in its price bracket as the Fiio E17 which is half its price, delivers similar sound signature with more features. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 24
Not sure about Jaben overseas, but in Malaysia and Singapore, the magnum is still on sale last time I checked. By the way, I won't argue about the performance of Dual vs Single DAC chip of Vestamp to E17, but I still think Vestamp will probably only preferable by a small crowd due to availability and price. For those who just started their audiophile journey, no doubt Fiio E17 will give much more value with its feature and sound signature, and affordable price, while more experienced audiophile will look more into tubes for smooth sounding amp or a better SS DAC/amp such as the DACport in that price range, for those looking into portable amp the JDS C421 is one of the better choices with cheaper price. Few years ago Vestamp might have a shot in that price range, but now it's kinda hard to recommend IMO.

Anyway, I hope you will share your impressions from the upcoming Tokyo Headphones festival as I do enjoy your review at Touchmyapps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back