Got the Sennheiser 600, now looking for closed headphones. AKG 550 good choice?
May 26, 2013 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheChosen0ne

100+ Head-Fier
Yo bros, I got my Sennheiser 600 for about 1 yr and 4 months now with the Fiio e17+e9 am/dac.  I am very satisfied with it but I wanna get some new headphones, preferably closed headphones this time instead of open ones and under $500.  Is AKG550 a good choice or are there better headphones for less than $500?  I prefer to continue on using the e17+e9 combo because I can't afford to get new headphones as well as better amp/dac.  Thanks

May 26, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Yo bros, I got my Sennheiser 600 for about 1 yr and 4 months now with the Fiio e17+e9 am/dac.  I am very satisfied with it but I wanna get some new headphones, preferably closed headphones this time instead of open ones and under $500.  Is AKG550 a good choice or are there better headphones for less than $500?  I prefer to continue on using the e17+e9 combo because I can't afford to get new headphones as well as better amp/dac.  Thanks

We need more info. What kind of music do you listen to?

May 26, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

We need more info. What kind of music do you listen to?

I listen to all genres.  Dubstep, pop, R&B, hip hop, all types of rock and metal, classical music, etc. 

May 26, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 13
if u like something clear/bright/airy...k550 ( less than 200 in the buysell )
if u prefer a darker/soothing sound...maybe a maddog? ( less than 300?) 

May 26, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 13
There are a few headphones I recommend that you take a look at:

1. V-MODA Crossfade M-100: I own these. They are great if you like headphones that are bass heavy. They have a bias towards the low end and high end with slightly recessed mids. They are very dynamic and I enjoy their sound while listening to everything from classic rock to electronic music/dubstep.
  2. Sennheiser Momentum: Much like the V-MODAs though lacking the punch in the low end. These are more neutral and less colored than the V-MODAs. 
  3. AKG K550: The most neutral headphones in this list, hence being listed as reference class headphones. They have little to no coloration.
  4. Beyerdynamic T70: These have more of a soft booming kind of bass that is not heavy but is very accurate. They also have accurate highs that may be smoother and less piercing than the others listed here.

May 26, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 13
May 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 13
Any more opinions?  Also Fiio e17+e9 is good enough for AKG 550 and is it good for any genre?

May 26, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 13
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm

May 27, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Couple more questions, would you guys recommend the AKG 550 if I have the HD600?  I'm gonna keep my HD600s but want to try something different with closed headphones.  Also how does the sound quality of AKG 550  compare to HD600?

May 27, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 13
K550... Clearer, brighter, airier, taller soundstage...bass is slightly bigger..v dependent on the seal of the pads on the head.
Quite light on the head, comfy to hot..depends on your level of perspiration on the pleather.

It's slightly too bright for me,,so I stuck some felt behind the drivers n it's just right to my taste now.
Others didnt think it's too bright.

May 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 13
I find them to be pretty light on bass, and I don't think they can compete with the Senn HD600's in terms of overall sound quality. But as far as closed headphones go, they're pretty good, and the comfort and aesthetics are supreme. The bass is not very prominent, but it's presented well (quality > quantity). The treble is very crisp. The mids, while not recessed, are not presented as naturally and coherently as I would like, especially the lower mids. They are marketed as portable headphones that you can use without an amp, but you will notice a marked improvement with the E17. Also, the fit is very important to getting these to sound right. The angle adjustments on the headphones are pretty stiff, so you'll have to angle them yourself to get the best seal. You may also have to bend the headband in a little if you have a smaller head like I do. Just push in on the earcups when you get them to determine if the sound improves and you need more clamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back