Got the IE8's....a bit disappointed! [UPDATE!]
Sep 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 34

Quote:
Thanks Guys! I will give them a whole week to burn in and see what happens, I am not really interested in any other IEM's because they don't really fit my needs and expectations!

As a former owner of a number of Dynamic IEM's, including the IE8, I agree that they will benefit from burn in.  Every single dynamic I've owned has changed after burn in, some night and day and some very subtly.  My method is very simple, I listen to them out of the box for a few hours, then let them play overnight with either a burn in playlist (with dweavers files and others) or just setting my library to shuffle and repeat overnight.  Adjust the volume to just above normal listening level and leave them be. I normally would let them rest the next day and repeat the whole process when I get home from work.  Besides, you have nothing to lose if you're within your return period.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 34
Smart man!

Quote:
As a former owner of a number of Dynamic IEM's, including the IE8, I agree that they will benefit from burn in.  Every single dynamic I've owned has changed after burn in, some night and day and some very subtly.  My method is very simple, I listen to them out of the box for a few hours, then let them play overnight with either a burn in playlist (with dweavers files and others) or just setting my library to shuffle and repeat overnight.  Adjust the volume to just above normal listening level and leave them be. I normally would let them rest the next day and repeat the whole process when I get home from work.  Besides, you have nothing to lose if you're within your return period.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #18 of 34
Try different tips. With the IE8, the right fit makes the biggest difference...it's almost like night and day.

Quote:
Hi guys,
God I did not know that I would end up making this thread but here I am. So i received the IE8's the other day(have had it for about 2 days), unboxed them, just checked to make sure they were real (even though the product was shipped form an authorized dealer (premier sponsor on this forum), who probably shipped it directly from sennheiser).
On my first listen, I was not really as blown away as I thought I would be, I am coming from the klipsch image s4, which is also known for its bass. There was also this note, sorry not very technical, that sounds pretty harsh. Bass is ok, presently a bit better than the s4's. Clarity is better than the s4's but not such a huge jump (6 times the price!). Also, I am pretty sure they are real, they came with all the accessories and they have that little reddish brown wire in them, though they are not that visible.
Well, the earphones are ok, not as mind blowing (since it has a mind blowing price) as I thought they would be. I have put the earphones for burn-in with music at a higher than normal volume. Will I see a change or am I just wasting my time and just return them?

UPDATE 1 - 50 + hrs of burn in
Hmmm, the soundstage seems to have opened up a bit after 50+ hrs of burn-in. I do hear a difference, not a major one but at the same time not a minor one. Lets see where this takes me!

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 34
What's with the crazy range in pricing on these phones?  I'm seeing as cheap as $130 from US sellers on ebay to $400 retail.  It's $200 refurbished at Buy.com  

Are these US ebay sellers selling refurbished or are they knock offs?  They're listed as New In Box.

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #20 of 34
$130..way too good to be true...$200 refurbished? depends on the seller, if he's known to sell genuine refurbished goods, then you can assume they're, well genuine, $280 is about average for a pair of IE8s NIB

James

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 34
Some could be fakes. That $130 sounds fake just from price alone. Also most earphones do not sell at MSRP as you can get them for cheaper elsewhere. I saw a IE8 at the store last week for around $280 before tax which is well under their MSRP.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
Try different tips. With the IE8, the right fit makes the biggest difference...it's almost like night and day.

I finally settled for the double flange that came with the phones.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #23 of 34
Exactly the same ones I settled for...the large ones. I never thought they would be this comfortable, but they are by far the best double flange tips I've ever used, and they fit me extremely well with the IE8...I don't think there is anything better.

Quote:
I finally settled for the double flange that came with the phones.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 34
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Exactly the same ones I settled for...the large ones. I never thought they would be this comfortable, but they are by far the best double flange tips I've ever used, and they fit me extremely well with the IE8...I don't think there is anything better.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #25 of 34
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies! I am going to experiment with the tips again... The reason that I stopped doing it after a few tips when they first arrived was because the tips are just a huge pain to remove! Is there like a secret technique to remove them?

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #26 of 34
Return them they are bad phones i have them and they have thousand of hours of burn in and the sound its crap get rid of them as quickly  you can   they also have bad durability the cable broke suddenly without any damage  , the problem i have now after i replace the cable is one channel louder than other so get denon or ultimate ears or jays but i strongly recommend to return these don't believe the good review's i made this mistake i buy them after good reviews and now i regret.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 34
"If you can afford to wait a couple days, download the burnin files in my signature (the P-W biased one is the one you will want) and let them cook for 24hrs and then have a listen and see what you think. THe IE8 does change in sound significantly when burned in properly in my opinion. Having said that I ended up selling my IE8 in the end. Today I am listening to a pair of SM3 that I have done a small easily reversible modification to and have to say they are pretty much perfect to my ears. They have zero recessed areas, a huge sound stage, and just the right balance between clarity and smoothness and are about the same price as the IE8 if your buying the IE8 from an authorized reseller (which due to fakes is the only safe way to buy them)."

mmhm not if you buy the ie8's legitly used on here for around 200 as compared to buying it here used for 300.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
$130..way too good to be true...$200 refurbished? depends on the seller, if he's known to sell genuine refurbished goods, then you can assume they're, well genuine, $280 is about average for a pair of IE8s NIB

James

I'd love to find that price.  Everything I see is right at $399 or so.  Except for the refurb guy on Amazon for $179. 

Not sure I can buy something that's been in another persons ears.  It's a little like buying used underwear, I would think.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #29 of 34
nope
you can get it for 280 brand new from an official sennheiser dealer.
want link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back