Got the HD800....the cynic is now speechless
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #107 of 233
i'm the owner of the HD600 (home use)and a pair of Grado's sr80 (for portable use)i've tried the hd800, but i;m not impressed at all, compared the hd800 with a set of Grado's SR325 or RS2, and i like that sound more, i'm a 50% classic and 50% jazz listener. I think the hd800 is far overpriced (800-999 euro)for what they are.A set of Grado325 (350euro) or RS2 (500 euro) is also a lot of money, but then there is the crispy high , the smooth mid's and the deep and nice bass
My opinion : hd800 is a hype headphone, with a very high price, but not worth that money.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #108 of 233
With what gear did you try them kezzzz? I'd agree with you if you have a cheap rig. I think they are worth it for the crowd who already have a rig where the components are similarly priced to, or more expensive than the HD-800s.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #109 of 233
Wow, I auditioned the SR325s and the SR225s and liked the 225s better but even recabled I don't even listen to them any more. They are several big steps down from the HD800s, not even in the league below the HD800. My wife uses my Grado SR225 exclusively, I think the last time I put them on was on a vacation six or so months back with a mobile amp. I guess to each his own but........
confused_face.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #110 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I auditioned the SR325s and the SR225s and liked the 225s better but even recabled I don't even listen to them any more. They are several big steps down from the HD800s, not even in the league below the HD800. My wife uses my Grado SR225 exclusively, I think the last time I put them on was on a vacation six or so months back with a mobile amp. I guess to each his own but........
confused_face.gif

I don't think he was wrong in say that he likes the sound of his Grado better which IMO translates to "I like that sound signature". I'm sure we have, one time or another, preferred a can with a sound signature we like over a technically more gifted one.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #111 of 233
Like I said, we each have our own but.......I own PX100s and although I like Senns, the Grado SR225 are much better. I like Grados, not my favorite but they are fine for certain moods but comparing the SR325s to the HD800s actually is the equivalent of comparing the PX100s to the SR225s recabled and all or to the SR325s. So if i follow that thinking I guess that I can compare the PX100s to the HD800s.
eek.gif

Well some people like the inbox earbuds and think we are all insane anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #112 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said, we each have our own but.......I own PX100s and although I like Senns, the Grado SR225 are much better. I like Grados, not my favorite but they are fine for certain moods but comparing the SR325s to the HD800s actually is the equivalent of comparing the PX100s to the SR225s recabled and all or to the SR325s. So if i follow that thinking I guess that I can compare the PX100s to the HD800s.
eek.gif

Well some people like the inbox earbuds and think we are all insane anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad we came to the same conclusion.
L3000.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #113 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by keezzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm the owner of the HD600 (home use)and a pair of Grado's sr80 (for portable use)i've tried the hd800, but i;m not impressed at all, compared the hd800 with a set of Grado's SR325 or RS2, and i like that sound more, i'm a 50% classic and 50% jazz listener. I think the hd800 is far overpriced (800-999 euro)for what they are.A set of Grado325 (350euro) or RS2 (500 euro) is also a lot of money, but then there is the crispy high , the smooth mid's and the deep and nice bass
My opinion : hd800 is a hype headphone, with a very high price, but not worth that money.

What equipment did you use the HD-800 with? The difference didn't really jump out at me until I put them on my tube amps with SACDs. They were good enough to get me to sell my HD-600.

Still, the HD-600 is an excellent headphone. It's a true classic, but I found the HD-800 to have more resolution and deeper, tighter bass.

If you're looking for another headphone that's great with jazz and classical, maybe try the K-501 or DT48. I miss my K-501 (also sold to fund the HD-800), but kept the DT48. The DT48 will give you most of the transparency of the HD-800, but it doesn't have rhe same lows. Still, you can get a used one under $100 USD if you keep your eyes open.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #114 of 233
The HD600 doesn't hold a candle to the HD800 on mega rigs - although both headphones are solid performers. I used to proudly own the HD600 / 650, but the HD800 is the new standard.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #115 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by skace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Where can I purchase headband pad? Just did some looking around and can't find anything.

Just call your local Sennheiser agent.

The headband pads for the HD 600 and HD 650 are different shapes but the same fitting - so they are interchangeable if you prefer one over the other.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #116 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference didn't really jump out at me until I put them on my tube amps with SACDs.

The HD800 really shows up the differences when you change components or cables upstream. You think there's no top end on one thing and then the next one's a bit too bright. It is amazing how real cymbals sound on these. You hear real brass and not PSSSHHHTTTT.

On a not-so-positive note, at times I find I am not tapping my feet or completely getting into the music. I hear everything, tone is spot on, so is the balance, speed/dynamics seem to be there, yet...

I am wondering if a bit of a droop in the presence range is obscuring harmonic overtones?

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #117 of 233
This is a very interesting thread and I really appreciate Beagle's original review and I am certainly taking it into consideration in my research on the HD 800. However, I like many others would like to see other non biased, non fan boy,objective reviews. I will have no choice but wait to see some reviews from the mainstream audiophile press as to the true validity of this phone. I know it is more than likely a great headphone, I just want to see more unbiased objective reviews.

Again a great job on Beagle's analysis.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #118 of 233
Beagle,

You should demo Tyll's amps... do a search on YouTube for "the HD800 effect"... he seems to be jamming out..

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #119 of 233
Scooterboy,

The high end forum here on head-fi seems to have developed a consensus already about the HD800.... it's considered one of the best headphones, in the same league as the R10 and top electrostatics. It's only on the regular headphone forum that you see any measurable volume of negative reviews - the bad press tends to stay here for some reason.

It's true, though, the rest of the audiophile world hasn't done much, other than merchants selling the 800 reviewing it as being good. I do agree with you there, I'm sure there would be more action if the can priced in at $500 or less.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #120 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just call your local Sennheiser agent.

The headband pads for the HD 600 and HD 650 are different shapes but the same fitting - so they are interchangeable if you prefer one over the other.

Thanks! However... I bought my HD600s via this forum I believe...... I don't know of any local Sennheiser agent, I buy all my stuff from headphone.com these days, maybe I could contact them and see if they have any headbands that they aren't listing on their site for whatever reason?

Anyhow, I just put in a purchase for the HD800s and a replacement cable for the 600s, the headband I'll get over time to bring them back to like new status for a nice backup pair or whatever I end up doing w/ them. If anyone does know a place selling the headbands let me know and I'll purchase one of each so I can test out the 650 headband also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back