Got the HD800....the cynic is now speechless
Sep 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #76 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though they were very transparent and very true i just didn't see how they could be worth the price.

confused_face(1).gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #77 of 233
Quote:

...Of course sound is so subjective but there has to be a point where you say no.

You said it perfectly. It's the point where YOU said no, but it doesn't apply to anybody else really since a lot of us don't think like YOU.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #78 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

And why should that confuse you.
I can get transparent and true sound from a hd650,and to me the difference was at best marginal so i just dont see how that is confusing.
I'm not a huge senn fan but like anyone who enjoys new cans i did want to try some but to me the price didn't match performance.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #79 of 233
Quote:

I can get transparent and true sound from a HD 650, and to me the difference was at best marginal.

That's how it is to you. You see the point?

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #80 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said it perfectly. It's the point where YOU said no, but it doesn't apply to anybody else really since a lot of us don't think like YOU.

And that's EXACTLY my point.
Seems like it isn't just iems that have a fanboy following on here.
How dare you take that attitude with me,i have a right to convey my thoughts as much as you and do not expect to be spoken to like that just because i make a perfectly valid point.
Good luck to you and your precious forum,i hope one day you learn to respect somebody else's opinion because that comment was completely uncalled for.
And that also goes for all the other Supreme posters that have just took an attitude with me as if i were a piece of trash.
Learn some manners and grow up instead of acting like schoolkids with a new toy.
You make me sick.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #81 of 233
You've used the IEMs line twice now -- why don't you pop back over there? People with ears and wallets are talking here.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #82 of 233
Quote:

And that's EXACTLY my point.
Seems like it isn't just iems that have a fanboy following on here.
How dare you take that attitude with me,i have a right to convey my thoughts as much as you and do not expect to be spoken to like that just because i make a perfectly valid point.
Good luck to you and your precious forum,i hope one day you learn to respect somebody else's opinion because that comment was completely uncalled for.
And that also goes for all the other Supreme posters that have just took an attitude with me as if i were a piece of trash.
Learn some manners and grow up instead of acting like schoolkids with a new toy.
You make me sick.

I don't see how my point is anymore invalid than yours and what have I said that's so offending? You're the one throwing out insults.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #84 of 233
Quote:

You make me sick.

If you're not ready to be rebuked, don't throw your unqualified opinion out in front of qualified people. No one has had anything to say about you, just your opinion. You're the one huffing and puffing here, we just want to talk about headphones.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #85 of 233
Quote:

No wonder the o.p is 'speechless' i think i would be too after spending that much on a headphone.
Don't get me wrong sound is important and so is a good can but really truly and honestly there is no need to spend THAT much,unless you really do have too much money.

Sorry but however good the 800 is it isn't worth the ridiculous price tag.

To You.

I work hourly in education, a lower paid profession, and I sure don't have too much money.....huh.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #86 of 233
calm down beyerfan. you and i seem to be the only two that agree the dt880 is the greatest headphone on the planet. so i am with you....and the force too
bigsmile_face.gif

i just discovered the dt880 pro. after owning some of the so called super headphones. i have heard the ps1000 and hd800. keep your eye on ebay! actually, just kidding. i'm not selling. yet.

music_man

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #87 of 233
Quote:

I can get transparent and true sound from a hd650,and to me the difference was at best marginal so i just dont see how that is confusing.

I own a pair of HD650s with Zu Mobius recable and even on an amp tailored to them they don't even compare to the HD800s. Transparency in comparison is marginal???? You have got to be kidding!

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #88 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People have unreasonable and unrealistic expectations of bass.

Have you heard about the various studies where people have come to enjoy the hot, sizzling sound of a lossy MP3?

Do you know why so much compression is put into CDs? That's because people enjoy the sound of compression.

Can you see where this is going?

People also love the sound of overemphasized, sloppy, fuzzy and horrible bass. You can find that everywhere. All cheapo (and many expensive) subwoofers are designed to produce their own thick sound with lots of "feel" and sub cabinets are designed with lots of resonances and other tricks to make the bass more palpable.

Well, how does the MP3 sizzle, compression and sloppy, overemphasized bass relate to the real world of sound?

It doesn't.

If you listen to an upright bass at jazz club it sounds like a HD-800. Really, it does. It also sounds a lot like the K-501, a DT 48 or an electrostat.

But there's no slam!

Duh. There isn't any slam in real life. Go listen for yourself.

You only get that kind of slam in real life when you're at a rock concert where they are using fuzzy, wooly, resonant woofers that are in colored cabinets being driven into distortion fed by amps that are driven into distortion.

If you want to hear what bass sounds like in the real world, the HD-800 nails it.

If you want a bloated, sloppy and offensive mess, go get yourself a Darth Beyer.

Complaining about the HD-800 bass is exactly the same as moaning about how turntable makes everything sound richer than a MP3 or a SACD makes everything "too quiet."

Or another way to put it, you might prefer chocolate milk to regular milk. That's fine. But don't rail against regular milk because it doesn't naturally taste like chocolate.

This should be sticky somewhere... explains a lot of different opinions in these forums and the fact that some people love and others hate the same headphone, because they are looking for different things.

I said on my HD-800 thread that they are very much a tool for showing whatever is fed to them. Some people should recognize and state (and many have done so...) that they prefer NOT to listen to this but to a distorted version. This is not about "neutrality vs euphony", it's actually about saying that a live performance has no bass and many people prefer more bass than reality....

Let me state that that is ok, there is nothing wrong with that, just don't post reviews saying the bass is awesome just because it is boomy and sounds like a subwoofer....

Yeah, and I know what I'm talking about. HD-600 has no bass right? JVC DX-1000 has lots of bass, the best bass ever... right?
Well, side by side on a Dualmono Rudistor RPX-33 I can tell you the DX1000 has absolutely no more bass information than the HD-600, it only moves more air and 'boooms' more. Bass is, at best, the same.

Sorry but I had to say it!

cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #89 of 233
Quote:

I can get transparent and true sound from a hd650

Good for you. Wish I could. Then I wouldn't have bought the HD800.

Back on topic, I listened to the Vaughan Williams (track 3) and the low bass is indeed there. It's actually clear too. Usually low bass sounds a bit dark.

Something that was bothering me a bit earlier this afternoon; playing familiar source material, I was finding the "soundstage" very wide but depth a bit foreshortened in the midrange (in comparison to the width). In the treble the depth is fine. Perhaps large diameter drivers don't image quite as well as smaller ones?

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #90 of 233
How can something be "overpriced" when it is the current in production reference dynamic phone.

Yes - I'm sure materials cost isn't very high compared to a cheaper headphone, same with a Ferrari versus a Kia.... get the drift?

Some people like to make arguments just to see their words on a forum I think.

If you have NO interest except to **** on this thread, then GTFO..

Beagle was kind enough to share his personal thoughts and follow up through 6 pages with both positive and negative replies being tossed around.

I think Beagle has hit the nail on the head with this thread.

@Blackmore - about trance.... try it for yourself, that is the only thing I can tell you. I listen to mostly prog house (Digweed - etc.) and sometimes I can find myself analyzing and sometimes I can find myself grooving. It is kind of tricky.

The HD6X0 is easier to groove and not get caught in the technical side. I kept all my HD cans to get the best of both worlds.

I always laugh when I think about all the people that said "The HD650 is too slow, veiled, not detailed enough, too much bass...." then Senny hits them with everything they have been complaining about and the crowd says "not enough bass, too much treble, too transparent" HAHAHAH can't please everyone Sennheiser, but THANK YOU very much for trying so hard to do so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back