Got the HD800....the cynic is now speechless
Sep 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #226 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Strummer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since no one has answered yet, in my not so extensive comparison of both of them I found the HD800 superior but the balanced 650 are not that far away while still retaining their character (I guess what I'm saying is that they still retain pretty much their sound signature). At least that was my opinion that comes from some hours hearing both side to side. I'm looking forward to more experienced users than me giving their opinion.

I can't offer the exact requested comparison, as I never heard the HD800 unbalanced, but in my experience the difference between the balanced HD650 and the balanced HD800 is huge. What strikes me most is the amount of detail the HD800 offers, yet still sounding smoothing and extremely natural, at a point I would describe it with the same words Skylab used to review Ray's new electrostat amp and the electrostat sound concept as a whole. I'm very sensible to harshness, I can't stand my GS1000 on big orchestral works because of the harshness, but there's absolutely nothing of that harshness with the HD800, which does extend even further than the Grados, which is impressive. Looking at my freq graph, I seem to be one of those who should have that famous "peak" around 6khz, but that doesn't seem to translate into the issues some reported. Maybe I was just lucky with my gear coupling well...maybe going balanced corrected that issue.
The Senns are so resolving that the improvements I got from putting my gear on a dedicated Rack have been very noticeable...the difference is much less obvious with the HD650 (which now has become pretty much useless for me).

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #227 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senns are so resolving that the improvements I got from putting my gear on a dedicated Rack have been very noticeable...the difference is much less obvious with the HD650 (which now has become pretty much useless for me).

Pardon my ignorance... but what does "on a dedicated Rack" mean?

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #229 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Moondog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon my ignorance... but what does "on a dedicated Rack" mean?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ne...1/#post5944606

It has to be said the situation I had previously was the worst possible one (each component stacked on eachother), so my guess is that whatever rack I could choose it would have been an improvement...

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #230 of 233
I have done some more extensive listening and comparisons with some other 'phones. I am becoming convinced that the HD800 has a "dead" area in the midrange/upper midrange.

You know, just the spot where music should "kick in" it seems reticent. You turn up the volume but it just gets louder, not any more dynamic.

The reason I say this is because I went back to the HD650 and they actually sounded more forward, detailed and energetic in this same area. I would never have believed the HD650 to be forward, detailed or energetic in any particular part of the spectrum. But against the 800, they are.

And compared to the Stax 2020 Basik, the 800 also sounds a bit slow, blurry and laid-back. The HD800 dull spot does make the Stax sound honky in direct comparison.

But keeping things in context, I am also convinced that the 800 is the better 'phone of the three. It does many things better than the other two but I am not convinced I am having as much fun or musical enjoyment. In that respect, the HF-2 outperforms all of the above.

Headphones is frustratin', ain't they?

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #231 of 233
another problem with the hd800 seems to be volume for me. they seem better at much higher volume then i would ever listen to.

in another thread someone pointed out on the chart that the dt880 is faster than the hd800. i really like that as well. perfection is not always the best. be carefull what you wish for because a wish may come true! i think they are great phones. i just don't "dig" them.

i do like the ps1000 better than the hd800 and gs1000. they are a lot different. they are great to listen to however. i won't be buying them because i am tired of grados qc and treatment of customers. it's a shame.

music_man

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #232 of 233
Very interesting... I found it funny how 'unsatisfied' some people are about their HD800s. I'm pretty happy with my simple MS-1s, even though I haven't heard much else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back