Got the HD800....the cynic is now speechless
Sep 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #31 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The several times I've listened to the HD800, I would agree that it is not a bass monster. You can adjust the tonal balance some by adjusting the source (output) impedance driving it. If your amp is near 0 ohm output impedance, try adding 100 ohm resistors in series with each driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, add 100 ohm resistors if you don't like fidelity and balance and you'll get cozy sirupy vocals and a cuddly chubby mid-bass.
icon10.gif

I agree, completely! Donald, you had better do some reading about damping factor in amplifiers and (consequently) why it is so important to have as low output impedance as possible.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #32 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit concerned about this. My own speaker system has been carefully tuned to be flat all the way down to 22Hz (using SMS-1 subwoofer equalization) running from a tight sounding sealed subwoofer, and if I pay $1800 CAD for a headphone, I expect that it do the same with some of the impact that I get from my speaker system. Most headphones fall flat in the critical impact region of 30-60Hz, and based on some recent reviews, I think that I might find them lacking in this area. I am all for the HD800's transparency which I should find superior to my D7000, but whereas the D7000 overdelivers on the bass, I have a feeling that the HD800 will underdeliver.

The HD 800 has enormous bass impact, and it reaches very low. It's precisely the mentioned lack of mid-bass bloat which makes me hear the low bass more clearly than e.g. with the HD 650. What it lacks is the «punch» associated with the typical mid-bass resonance of most other headphones. (You could get it by adding serial resistance, though.)

Quote:

Eventually I have to get out and find one to audition....if my local dealers get on the ball.

A good idea!

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #33 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, completely! Donald, you had better do some reading about damping factor in amplifiers and (consequently) why it is so important to have as low output impedance as possible.

While I prefer a 0 ohm output with all headphones I've auditioned, it can't be called the only correct way of listening. Different people have different ears (and gear) and moreover individual sonic ideals.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #34 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 800 has enormous bass impact, and it reaches very low. It's precisely the mentioned lack of mid-bass bloat which makes me hear the low bass more clearly than e.g. with the HD 650. What it lacks is the «punch» associated with the typical mid-bass resonance of most other headphones.

This is precisely the frustration us Ety fans have had -- or at least I've had -- in explaining why I felt the ER-4S actually produced wonderful and extremely detailed bass. I love the warmth and body that the 650s give, but the Ety's to me are still the most serious and detailed phones I've heard (which isn't many...but anyway.) The Ety's have extremely articulate bass, and zero bloat.

It sounds like the 800s might be the perfect can for me. 'Cept for the ridiculous price. So, for now, I'll continue on with the Ety's for balance and detail and the 650s for gorgeous bass and overall sound. Both can be had two times over, for the price of the 800s.
angry_face.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #35 of 233
i find my hd800 left earphone has a little more bass "punch" than the right side which most evident when there's very intense pounding bass. my 600 has more punchy bass but doesn't handle intense bass like the 800.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #36 of 233
so would you say that it is a chameleon in the sense of hp1000 just without the flavor? i get the sense that they may be a 'monitor' type fone which might be a pot of gold for a lot of people (i am not of that school however).

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #37 of 233
Quote:

Actually, Donald knows a bit about impedance. He can explain it better than I can, but there used to be an international standard for headphones of a 120 Ohm output impedance. Some headphones are voiced to 120 Ohms and some aren't. That's why his amp is selectable between a 120 Ohm output and a low output.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #38 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beagle,

I've made every basshead I know go crazy over the HD800, they clearly dominate the HD650 in terms of low end extension and accuracy. The HD800 trounces subwoofer bass tests.

I think I can guess at why you're having difficulties with the bottom: consider that Sennheiser went to extreme ends to reduce earpiece resonance - you won't "feel" the bass as much on the side of the head unless you crank the volume. Having said that, I hear a lot more bottom end at lower volumes. Bass guitars really have live prescence with the HD800, and you really get the thick bottom end on symphonic music rendered properly.

I'm sure it's all there and accounted for. I'm just not getting a proper bead on it yet. I'm still adjusting to them. I've basically just been listening to any old music and enjoying it. I haven't been putting the HD800 "to the test". I have heard low notes on the piano properly reproduced. I'm going to get out some of the source material that I know has deep bass on it and use that. I will get back with some more observations.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #39 of 233
Come on. I'm twice the doubting thomas.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that this headphone has no bass slam.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #40 of 233
Quote:

Yes, I know a thing or two about source impedance and damping factor
wink.gif

Have you seen this thread and post?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ca...ml#post5933003

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #41 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it's all there and accounted for. I'm just not getting a proper bead on it yet. I'm still adjusting to them. I've basically just been listening to any old music and enjoying it. I haven't been putting the HD800 "to the test". I have heard low notes on the piano properly reproduced. I'm going to get out some of the source material that I know has deep bass on it and use that. I will get back with some more observations.

Good idea, Beagle. We all have our favorite bass test tracks. For me, the ultimate test is Brian Bromberg's "Cantaloupe Island" (Downright Upright, Artistry Music, 2.20.07). If the bass is there, the HD800 will bring it out. Bass guitars can get down to around 40 Hz, and in this range we feel more than hear the sub-bass vibrations. With the HD800, if I place my hand on the desktop, I can feel the sub-bass driving through my arm to the table. Yet, it isn't bloated or exaggerated. Even when the sub-bass is subtle, I can feel it.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 233
I've got Brian Bromberg's "WOOD". I'll give that a try also. The NAXOS version of Vaughan Williams Symphony No.7 ("Sinfonia antartika") also has good low register information.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #43 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, Beagle and welcome to the HD800 side...I've enjoyed them thoroughly and have had zero regrets. To me they are an extreme treat to my ears and in another league.

To Ford2...I disagree with your voodoo economics. I'm going to suggest that Sennheiser is keeping them at their current price because they need to in order to make a profit...hey, someones gotta be the devils advocate. I do not think Senn is keeping them at the price, as you say, "to keep them at a perceived elite level."
Can't disagree enough. Also, what do you say about the Grado pricing of the PS1000s? I'm interested to know that.

Its a free country,you are welcome to your views,as am I.
I did not mention Grado's price fixing because this thread is about the HD800.
Am still waiting for Senn to explain WHY in Australia they cost $2000us against $1400us in the USA.

And by the way you do not make much of a profit selling limited numbers of expensive phones.
And have you ever thought how much it actually costs to make them,you would be in for a big surprise.

I will stand by my post,if Senn wish these phones to be a big long term seller then they should LOWER the price.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #44 of 233
Sennheisers don't need to lower the price of the HD800 as we see plenty of people buying them as opposed to the more limited sales of the Edition 8. As time goes by and sales lower, Sennheiser would then lower the price of the HD800 according in order to generate new sales and this cycle continues.

Why lower the price now when they're trying to generate the maximum amount of revenue in the long run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back